X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Card Critique

I am a web designer and I'm sick of overly pretentious business cards. In an attempt to de-clutter what is essentially a tool of communication, I created this:

p.s Top points to the person that knows which designer I stole the design from.

It doesn't tell anyone what you do?

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

(It doesn't tell anyone what you do? )

In this case it does, i.e. not very much
      Last edited by Heartburn_02; 01-22-2010, 01:43 PM.
      When men will beg God to kill them and they won’t be able to die

Comment

i got your card a while back. crap I can't remember what you do again. ahh forget it i don't feel like checking the site.

uncluttered. yes.
        but like Eugenetyson said as a form of communication, i don't know who you are/what you do, just your name and some contact info.

kudos for going opposite of some cards that fill every bit of space though.
        Dribbble Page
        Behance Portfolio
        Linkedin Profile

Comment

It looks like Paul Rand's business card.

http://www.boingboing.net/201001051205.jpg
          Joe Mallette
          Element 13

Comment

Whose Paul Rand?

Comment

Originally posted by lucdesaulniers View Post
              Whose Paul Rand?
              Paul Rand
              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                Sorry Garrick, I was being sarcastic. Playing around.. But the link is appreciated.

Comment

I think it's way too simple and boring.

ADD something to make you stand out from the rest.

Comment

Did you copy it from Patrick Bateman? Although his is more centred.

It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Part of Rand's talent was to make the ordinary look right - that it could be no other way. So despite copying Rand his looks millimeter perfect and yours looks a bit, not wrong, but aimless. You've copied without understanding why his is arranged the way it is. The less there is on the card the more precise you have to be with what is on the card.

So his 'Paul Rand Inc' has a tension with the card's edge which yours loses with 'Disali'. And the info's leading is out because of your lowercase web address, as opposed to the ascenders in Rand's, which slightly and importantly make it tighter. And he doesn't have the dodgy gradient. Why go minimalist then add effects?

And 'United States of America'? Really? Why not add, earth, the solar system, the universe.

I like what you're attempting here but know why and what you're doing.

Comment

The White Album

Lol... it's like the white album. I wish i hadn't read this because i was going to design my cards similarly... now the idea isn't as fresh.

*advertising link removed*
                        Last edited by garricks; 01-23-2010, 01:21 AM. Reason: Uh, uh. Advertising is not allowed at GDF

Comment

snhostsn, welcome to the forum. Please read these important threads posted here. They will explain a lot about how the forum runs, from the rules and regulations to frequently discussed topics to the background on some of our lingo and inside jokes.
                          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Sorry guys, I meant this as a joke. It's not seriously my business card, and why would I put my full contact info on there?

I spent about 3 minutes knocking it together, I thought someone may have a chuckle...Oh well.

Comment

ya know, it's not a bad idea...if you were Maxwell Smart
                              sigpickeep it simple or simply keep it

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X