Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Judy Smith
    Comment on Political graphic artists?
    Judy Smith
    Well, now that I've finally posted the classified, I guess I can assume that once again it wasn't visible due to moderation... So - now I have to figure out how to subscribe to it to become eNotified...
    Today, 08:25 AM
  • Judy Smith
    Comment on Political graphic artists?
    Judy Smith
    Uh, I realize this is very belated, but I vaguely remember having tried to find this forum (knowing I left loose ends) - but failing to locate it. At this time I finally found it, after having first tried...
    Today, 07:13 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Custom social icons
    ThePreyMan PHS
    Justo to clarify, I didn't change the colors of the actual logos, per say, as in the 'F' of the facebook logo was never yellow. The logos were all black, which is fine, and the backgrounds to them were...
    Today, 06:36 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Custom social icons
    ThePreyMan PHS
    It still leaves me in uncertainty. What I had before, in the creation of this thread, seemed to me to be respectable to their branding. I can understand not having the Facebook logo turned into a gun...
    Today, 06:33 AM
  • ThePreyMan PHS
    Reply to Confidence, Growth, and a Mentor
    ThePreyMan PHS
    Great.
    Thanks for the bits of info, guys. Helps.
    Today, 06:23 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pls check my designs! need advice, tips, don'ts

I run an event and to save money i've decided to learn photoshop & try to design my own flyers.

I've been using photoshop for about 3 months on and off, i'd love some tips from experienced designers.

Layout, effects, my design concept etc. Pretty sure there are some basic things that i'm missing, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...thjunecopy.jpg

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...own4thjune.jpg

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...thjunecopy.jpg

A few things to note -

You shouldn't be using Photoshop for type or vector elements, you'll get much better results using a page layout program like InDesign (for book type documents) or Illustrator for 1 or 2 sided flyers/posters etc. So any graphical or decorative elements drawn by you should be done as vector, as well as type.

Photoshop is fine for using images and doing image manipulation etc.

Where did you get the photos? You can't just use images from Google searches willy nilly-ily, you need to have permission to use images that you don't use or else source them and pay for them on stock sites, or take the pictures yourself. (No problem if you're just doing these as exercises to practice your skills, but using them commercially would be a violation of the copyright)

Designs:
    Not bad, all very similar. What colour mode, what resolution, is the text 1 colour black or 4 colour black? You should really only have 1 colour for the black text. This will cause problems in litho printing, not so much in digital printing, screen printing would be difficult if you've got too many blacks (look up printing registration)

There seems to be information missing from the location? Where is club More?

How much are tickets to attend?

Is it over 18's?

As I said, they're all very similar, but not a bad job at all.

Be careful of image copyrights and that and be sure to seek the proper permissions or source the stock photography and pay for it, it's a lot cheaper than a law suit.

Some good tips here on magazine stuff http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/ar...ine_layout.htm

And more stuff here
    http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutoria...g/printing.htm

You can never know enough, if you want to know anything else just ask

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Thanks so much for the tips and advice

Darren

Comment

Aside from the comments eugenetyson gave, there are a few elements that I think are worth noting:

* Outside Border / Frame - I think the weight is too light and will most certainly cause problems at the printers when it comes to trimming (pressuming these are to be printed full-bleed) - the chances of it being centred are slim. Also, if you do insist on putting a border / frame around your flier, I'd advise making it the same weight on each edge - currently it's much finer at the top than on the other sides.

* Shine Logo - the kerning for the 's' & 'h' bothers me. I feel the letters should probably be touching one another, much like the 'n' & 'e' - right now, the negative space between them is just too fiddly. The space between the 'h' & 'i' should really be the same as the space between the 'i' & 'n'.

* Spelling - on the flier for the 4th of June you have 'Neil Brown' listed as being a DJ of 'Mimistry of sound'. I'm guessing you mean 'Ministry of Sound'. Also make the 's' in 'sound' a capital.

Comment

Pretty much everything eugenetyson. Especially the 'you're using the wrong program' part.
          Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

The designs are fine. Apart fromt the technical stuff which nobody would expect you to know, it does what you want it to.

Just one tiny grammatical gripe - djs not dj's. Make the 's' smaller to make it read okay (or the 'dj' bigger). The misuse of apostrophes drives me nut's.

Comment

they seem to fit the genre. nothing to make them stand out but probably doesn't matter.
              like car show flyers, many are alike, right or wrong they do their job, maybe not attracting too many more but keeping the audience pool in the know.
              Dribbble Page
              Behance Portfolio
              Linkedin Profile

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X