Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Lucifer
    Reply to Need color choice help on logo design...
    Lucifer
    What does this company do?
    Today, 04:52 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to Personal Logo Critique
    Roth
    You're in danger of having too many elements. If you're going to make something of the W being different, make it noticeably different (I assumed the Woodruff was in the W font, and took me a while to...
    Today, 04:46 AM
  • jwood
    Reply to Personal Logo Critique
    jwood
    Thanks for the thoughts and questions. I had several tries with the same font but it always looked too plain. The different fonts seemed to help the logo to stand out but still look professional. I'll...
    Today, 04:31 AM
  • EmberMike
    Reply to The End of Adobe Creative Suite is upon us...Creative Cloud shift
    EmberMike
    Resurrecting an oldie here...

I've been a CS6 holdout but now I'm at a point where I need to buy After Effects and I can't find a reasonable price on it anywhere. My upgrade to CC may be...
    Today, 03:58 AM
  • B
    Comment on Hey guys, I'm wondering which domain name sounds better.
    B
    You might try always spelling it out with mixed case, as in MichelleBethDean.com. Domain names aren't case sensitive, so it'll work with no problem. It'll also eliminate any confusion over what it says...
    Today, 02:00 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *website* critique for city sim game project

After getting a ton of great feedback on the logo for my new website, I thought I'd see what everyone thought of the site itself! The URL is:

http://themetropolisproject.org

Now, a big disclaimer, most of the design on the site is not my work, I'm using a slightly modified version of the Deco theme for Drupal. But, I'm planning to do some more tinkering with it once I have time, and I'm wondering what I should change, what I should leave as is, etc. Your thoughts and feedback are once again very much appreciated!

I really like it. Can't fault it. I see references to the film 'Metropolis' which is a nice touch.

Comment

Thanks chamferface! You don't think it looks too austere for a game site?

Comment

Originally posted by jnbixler View Post
        Thanks chamferface! You don't think it looks too austere for a game site?
        No, not at all

Comment

I'm sorry, but I was really fooled with your site. I really thought it was a site for an architectural company or town center, in which case it would have been perfect.

The good thing is, it is clean and visitor-friendly. Overall I felt comfortable in your site and I wanted to stick around. Its impressive.

However the look needs to be fixed, because it made me guess what the site was about. Your audience should be able to figure out what type of website they're on right away, unless there's a real good reason for them to guess.
          Get more inside the head of the audience you are trying to attract. In my opinion the header says game design more so than the body. I dunno, maybe try pulling those dark colors tastefully into the body as well. Tinker with it.

Learn from your competition. http://simcitysocieties.ea.com/index.php
          Notice what attracts you right off the bat when you go to their site. You don't have to copy them exactly, just observe. One thing that lets me know its a game site is their emphasis on their images. Your site might do well with more things like.

I hope this helps. Otherwise, its an impressive professional-looking website. Just need it to attract the right people.

Comment

Thanks Markasin, I think you might be right on the money... I was pretty happy with the design at first, but after looking at it for a couple weeks I started to think something just wasn't sitting right with me; It looks nice, it just doesn't really say "game".

So, I decided to make a new graphic for the header to see if that helped; but once I finished it I thought that a brighter header demanded a little more color on the main page; but that didn't work so well with the current theme, so I thought I may as well see how it looked with a different one... and before I knew it I'd basically redesigned it Here's version 2 (haven't changed the live site yet, I'm going to give myself some time to let it sink in):

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/jnbixler/metropolis_test.png

(I forgot, is there a max size for embedding images in the post?)

I'm actually a lot happier with this version, but maybe I'm just suffering from New Design Overenthusiasm What does everyone think?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
            Working...
            X