X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logo concept.

I've been given a brief in college to re-brand and city, town or village within the UK. I've chosen a quaint little fishing village on the south west coast named Looe.

I wanted to steer away from the "Visit X" campaigns that seem so popular in the UK.

I spent a day travelling down to Looe to get a feel for the place and after a bit of thinking and doodling I've decided I want to use "Love Looe" as a basis for the re-brand.

One of the concepts I like is incorporating the two words into one, after all it is only one letter difference.

But I don't know if I can really pull the concept off effectively. Here are some examples of what I mean.

To me the top one just says "Love" and so does the second one. The third says "Lobe" and the final one looks like "LoDe". Is there any way I could make this concept work?

it's going to be hard to change, as 'Looe' has two 'oo' characters, changing one letter without the other will just not work.
    http://martyng.com

Comment

What a lovely little town. As much as I've loved the places in the UK I've been, I must put Cornwall on my bucket list.

Dan, I don't see much of the town's personality in your logo. I agree with Marty that it'll be hard to make it work between an "o" and "v." Why not use Nelson's statue for inspiration?

This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Thanks Garricks!

As I said these are concepts to play with shapes more than anything.

I don't think this works either:

How embarrassing, I spent a day in Looe and didn't even notice Nelson! Facepalm moment. I might revert back to some of my other concepts.

Comment

To be fair, he's sitting out in the harbor, and looe.org pointed me right at him!

Of the two, I think the top one works better, but then I already know what you're trying to do. Let's see some other concepts while you're at it.
          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

You're getting very close to the infinity symbol there.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

or butcheeks
              http://martyng.com

Comment

When I'm home I'll put some more up, I thought I should say, I had to choose a specific group of people for the re brand to be aimed at. And loving a challenge I chose young couples. So I'm trying to steer away from the typical quaint/classical stuff you so often see in old English towns.

Comment

Here's another concept I had.

Comment

Not bad

Hits on a few other logo ideas going on around the isles

http://www.logodesignlove.com/love-irish-food

Not saying it's the same logo - just the same idea.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

The connecting of the L and the e looks forced to me, I don't think it works.

Comment

It is forced, it's far from finished :P

Comment

Not only do LOOE and LOVE look quite similar to look at directly, they are also virtually similar about their own horizontal axis. That means it would not be too difficult to make one the reflection of the other on the sea, which is also appropriate for the seaside resort. By placing a ripple in an appropriate place you should be able to make the O and V a reflection of one another. In fact, the reflected O just needs a small nudge at the top edge, to make the reflection look like a heart / letter V. Obviously an upper case E reflects better than a lower case e, but unfortunately the opposite is true for the L, however I'm sure there could be a solution to that if you really wanted it.

P.S. I just came across a font called BARD which has an E and an L which both reflect in lower case, although I'm not so sure it's a nice font for the job, but might spark a few ideas. The lower case l reflects nicely also, if canted slightly, making it look like a upper case L, ie the two lower case l's meeting at 90°

I "CANT" resist putting that in there.
                          Last edited by Heartburn_02; 01-27-2010, 10:54 PM.
                          When men will beg God to kill them and they won’t be able to die

Comment

I don't think it's working. It's easy to see the 2 words if you know that they are there, but if you don't, it's just going to be confusing.

How about having the 2 words, one under the other, with love a little less prominant than looe.

Comment

Dan, what I'm missing is "Hey, come visit our awesome 900-year-old fishing village. We're quaint, we have cool ruins, a seal statue, and did we mention we're a FISHING village so we have massively awesome fresh fish in our restaurants so come and eat some!!!1! You need to hop on the M5 right now or else!"

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X