Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a website makeover?

Hey all,

Just joined up today and am VERY excited to gain perspective from such a large community of talent from all walks of the earth.

I designed this site about 4 years ago using Photoshop and Flash 8, and recently updated the site with a splash page last year to add some flare. I had some help with the back-end coding and Actionscript since I had never been very good with coding (and still to this day!). I am from the Philadelphia area and have always been drawn to urban/grunge/minimalistic design. That being said, I always felt that you can be just as if not more powerful with minimal distractions from too much "glam"

Enough rant....please critique and don't be afraid to be brutaly honest if need be! Thanks

http://www.y3kdesigns.net
    http://y3kdesigns.net

Welcome!

First thing to note: Splash pages are considered a time waster for your user and generally frowned upon (the 90's are over, heck the 00's are over!)

Second: you have pixelation on the words, logos, print, in your portfolio section. Looks like those are not gifs that have been saved correctly.

Third: On your clients page why are the URLs not active links!! People don't want to have to select and copy, they will just not bother.

Fourth: Your estimate page has the same pixelated text problem as the portfolio page. on name, email etc.

Fifth: I expected the top grey bar with orange text to be links! This looks like navigation. This is not good as people will get frustrated and leave if they can't click things they think they should be able to click.

Sixth (wow this became a long list... sorry): The animation of the words moving on your nav is probably unnecessary and gives me vertigo. I would suggest that just the orange colour is enough that people know what is going on. Simple is good most of the time.

Seventh: Why is there a random google search bar at he bottom of the page?

Eighth: The background is okay, looks a bit fuzzy to me, want to check that out. Your logo should be link back to the home page if you click on it.

I was wishing the items in your portfolio were clickable to make them larger.
    However, even though I came up with a list like this, it's not terrible. I can tell that you have a bit of an eye for design. Just gotta work out the details.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Your work looks familiar, are you on the dpforum?

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
      Working...
      X