X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP Ultimate campaign.

In college a group of us were tasked with creating an advertising campaing for BP's "BP Ultimate" petrol. The direction we took was similar to those of anti child abuse charities (although not in a way that made fun of them as that would be pretty distasteful). The campaign was largely photographic and we developed the slogan "Your car deserves better".

I've had to re-do a lot of it for my portfolio as the original images weren't my own, this has also given me a chance to work on my photography skills. I'll update the thread as I create new pieces, but would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I also created a video advert which sucked due to my complete lack of expertise and rubbish equipment, but hopefully you get the idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JTIx_elQAU

It's supposed to sound like the car is coughing and spluttering when filled up with the non-BP fuel, and happily whistling when filled up at the BP station... Unfortunately I accidentally deleted the background noise which gives the impression that the sound and the video are completely unrelated!

Unfortunately, oil has NOTHING to do with how the exterior of your engine looks. Most people get their oil changed (as they should and on time) and their engines/engine bay looks exactly like that. The condition of the exterior of engine has more to do with the type of climate the person lives in that the type of oil they use...

Sorry to burst you bubble, but simply said I just don't get it.
    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Sorry I should've explained.

One of the selling BP Ultimate's selling points is that it cleans the fuel injectors and leaves you with a healthier car/engine.

A lot of the pictures we used were of beaten up cars, not just the engine bays, and the meaning wasn't supposed to be taken as literally as "use this fuel, it improves the look of your car". We generally got very good feedback from tutors etc., but I wanted to post here as I wanted more opinions. I'm not sure if it's just a UK/USA divide thing though as when I was in the States I noticed the advertising was MUCH more literal than the advertising here. Although I guess it should be understandable regardless of where you are in the world?

Comment

Still aren't getting it.... sorry.

A good 50% of the cars out there in the world have direct injection. IE– tThe fuel injector sprays directly into the combustion chamber, this the tip that fires the fuel directly touches the flame when the spark plug ignites the fuel. Thus burning, aka "cleaning", the tip. The fuel just ignites quicker and burns longer so they can call it BP "Ultimate".

Maybe it is a cross-country miss understanding, but generally I know to understand something before I purchase it. Advertising plays a big role with that... *shrugs*
        Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarti...tentId=7009066

There you go.

I'd like some more opinions. It could be a cross country thing or we may have completely missed the mark.

But there are a hell of a lot of successful products over here with advertising campaigns that leave you slightly confused.

I guess the way I'd describe it is when I was in the USA I'd see and advert and think "aaahh that's what it does", whereas in the UK you see a lot more adverts that make you think "that was completely random but it's stuck in my head now".

Comment

It's not unusual for BP to have imagery that's totally random in their ads. One of the magazines I design runs a BP ad. It's a simple white ad with an olive branch....I'm not really seeing the connection either.

So, that being said, using an image like this, does tie in a bit with BP's style, but why would I want to treat an old, crappy POS engine so well? Something like that I'd just bag on and drive into the ground until it died. I wouldn't want to spend excess money on something that may not make it through the month. I'd be more interested in spending my money on saving/preserving a nice, strong engine that will blow the doors off every car in the next lane.
            Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
            | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
            | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

I see your point Bladez.

The idea was something like "look how crap this car is, your car deserves better than this".

Comment

as I don't know a lot about cars. I struggle with this... I don't know what BP Ultimate is... and based on this ad I would assume it's a type of engine that is better than the one shown.

I feel like this just doesn't do it. And I do own a car... remember that your market is larger than just car fanatics who understand the product.
                I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

@Audentia

Yeah I understand, as I said most of the images were not of engines at all, I'll keep this thread updated with them as I go. I really appreciate the feedback guys.

Comment

I think your basic idea could work, even if the "insert something deserves better' line has been used a fair amount.

The image is way too boring in my opinion and isn't really going to grab peoples attention. Take the concept a bit further and think of other ways of showing cars being treated badly that are more unexpected and surprising.

You could possibly play off the child abuse charities angle even more. A whole campaign based around car abuse could work really well. Something to do with a car shelter maybe, instead of an animal shelter. I'm not sure how well you could pull that off in a print campaign though, probably more suited to a TV ad.
                    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

If you are working on a BP campaign, it would do for you to look very very carefully at any examples of BP branding you can. Your advert isn't properly branded (at least not for BP USA branding). You have to use the proper logo/logos in the proper orientation, with the proper spacing and in the proper colors. BP has a very specific color palette, many colors beyond the two greens and the yellow, each with a meaning, and they pride themselves on being 'green' these days (whatever that means to them and to you). I've worked with BP standards before.

Standards are something a designer needs to understand when working with established brands. The placement of your Ultimate may not meet spacing standards. If you added the tag for your project, you need to work on legibility.

BTW, I got your concept. Not sure it would fly here in the US but from what I've seen when in the UK, you probably have a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                        If you are working on a BP campaign, it would do for you to look very very carefully at any examples of BP branding you can. Your advert isn't properly branded (at least not for BP USA branding). You have to use the proper logo/logos in the proper orientation, with the proper spacing and in the proper colors. BP has a very specific color palette, many colors beyond the two greens and the yellow, each with a meaning, and they pride themselves on being 'green' these days (whatever that means to them and to you). I've worked with BP standards before.

Standards are something a designer needs to understand when working with established brands. The placement of your Ultimate may not meet spacing standards. If you added the tag for your project, you need to work on legibility.

BTW, I got your concept. Not sure it would fly here in the US but from what I've seen when in the UK, you probably have a shot.
                        Definitely agree. I don't get the same feel when I look at this compared to other bp ads. Usually a brand has a certain style and image that they would like to portray. Bp is more friendly and warm.

On another note, is it just me or does the kerning need to be fixed?

Comment

I haven't read everything so sorry if this has already been said.

On first glance I saw:
                          1. Something that looks terrible.
                          2. A company logo.

And my mind went:
                          "BP ultimate has made this engine look horrible."

Then I read the text and figured it out... but who wants to think?

Comment

Start again. This is just uninspired. Dull text, dull picture, lazy work. No style whatsoever. Irrespective of content issues, it's horrible. There doesn't appear to be any effort to make it appealing. Be a designer, not an admin assistant with CS.

Comment

Originally posted by holycow77 View Post
                              I haven't read everything so sorry if this has already been said.

On first glance I saw:
                              1. Something that looks terrible.
                              2. A company logo.

And my mind went:
                              "BP ultimate has made this engine look horrible."

Then I read the text and figured it out... but who wants to think?
                              ^^^^

Yes!

What you are doing is like selling a negative.

Show the wonderful things this product will do for your car.
                              Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X