Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Creating an Image for a car sticker
    PrintDriver
    Your client needs to get you the dimensions of the door. Without that, one can only guess.
    In Illustrator use whatever units you want. I use inches. Too much math otherwise.
    Today, 02:00 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Retail vs Contract Pricing
    PrintDriver
    B, we pay illustrators to create maps for projects and end up paying them a royalty based fee. The number of copies are limited by contract and they are free to license the map art for others. I don't...
    Today, 01:57 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Retail vs Contract Pricing
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF cdgc

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 01:11 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Creating an Image for a car sticker
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF wikster

Your image is not showing up. What works best for me is to upload an image to a photo hosting site like photobucket. Then use the IMG tag/link and paste that directly...
    Today, 01:10 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Lion Vector Logo
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Bear

Did you draw the lion too, or did you just do the header with it?

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the...
    Today, 01:06 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• typographic scottish football calendar - ups and downs

hi all

just wanted initial feedback, i am doing a calendar based on the up and downs of the scottish national team, tying it in with homecoming scotland for a project at college, based mostly on typography but there will be some different images throughout.

im in 2 minds in terms of layout, at the moment its a3 for a double page but now im getting started i thought it would be quite cool to make it a fold out poster throughout the 12 months, so that would be 6 a3 sheets across.

anyway just wondering how you see it, in my head its going in the right

all typography used with be taken from commentary of the games and newspaper articles from the time, along with the odd dodgy world cup song etc mixed in
    Attached Files
    Day man
    Fighter of the Night man
    Champion of the sun
    You’re a master of karate and friendship…for everyone
    Day man, day man
    Uhh ahhahh

I know I have a headache right now... and maybe that is affecting my ability to see what is going on here.
    But right now to me it's a mess. It feels really all over the place. I think partially cause there are a lot of leading issues in the text. But also there is a lack of flow. You need to maybe take a look at other typographical posters and see what they do that helps them. Sometimes it's making a shape or having a certain flow to the poster.
    Right now I think yours doesn't have that and just looks like it was plopped on the page.
    Sorry...
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

fair enough still a long way to go
      Day man
      Fighter of the Night man
      Champion of the sun
      Day man, day man
      Uhh ahhahh

Comment

The crowd want a lap of honour
        I feel like a city kid who has stumbled into a town

Comment

There are few problems with the English as the other posters tried to show. Here are a few examples:

1967 Scotland ARE world champions. (but I still don't understand this sentence)
          should be:
          1967 Scotland IS world champions.

The ref is looking at his watch and thats it
          should be:
          The ref is looking at his watch and that's it!

The crowd want a lap of honour
          should be:
          The crowd wants a lap of honour

They wont let them leave this field
          should be:
          They won't let them leave this field

it finishes
          should be
          ???????
          It's finished!

The hierarchy is all over the place. The line about winning and being world champs should be biggest, not ROAR. And without any exclamation points it kind of just reads on and on with no punch. I think to portray the bedlam of the moment a few sentences should be titled or chopped up to show some excitement. Right now it's just so busy with no order.

Comment

Ahhhhh! I don't know where to start reading!! My head is going to explode. There's stuff going up, down, sideways, backwards, upside down, overlapping. Now I feel dizzy, going to lay down.

Comment

Part of the problem is British English vs. American English.

American English uses the collective singular, while British English uses the collective plural.

So "Scotland are..." and "The crowd want..." are correct. It's the same as saying "The people of Scotland are..." and "The men and women in the crowd want..." in the States.

The contractions CMYK Girl points out are incorrect in both versions of English.
              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Hey - I like it! It reminds me of "The Benefit of Mr. Kite" or old boxing posters like that one. It needs a little work, but don't stop to break typographic rules! Though I disagree with CMYK-girl on the ROAR - I like that very much - a little order should be applied to both columns - gently. But don't stop to cram it and stuff in all sizes!

And the important information is there: On the first impression you see a football, "Wembley", "Roar" and "3:2" and "1967" - that's enough.

Don't get irritated here, just go on!

Comment

Originally posted by CMYK girl View Post
                  There are few problems with the English as the other posters tried to show. Here are a few examples:

1967 Scotland ARE world champions. (but I still don't understand this sentence)
                  should be:
                  1967 Scotland IS world champions.
                  er.. no it shouldn't.
                  http://martyng.com

Comment

Surely it should be Unofficial Football World Champions.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

hi all

thanks for the comments so far

yeah i suppose its difficult to see where im going with this until its finished and some of the comments maybe just confirmed to me that i should stick to my original format of a booklet calender. i'll discuss it in class next week

at the moment the layout is over a double page spread so if i was to change the format i would need to rejig things about but probably wont now and stick to my original format idea

i can see there is a few punctuation problems and as far as everything that's one the page, it was ether said like that in a newspaper or by the game commentator at the time, so for the first page think 1967 old english black and white football match on tv.

same for the next page 1970's Scottish commentator - commentating as a fan and deliriously happy as its the first finals we had reached since the 1950's haha

for example he did say "the crowd want a lap of honour" i will listen to it again but sure i got at least that one right

at the moment i'll leave this spread and move onto the next one - march and april, should be fun the manger at the time alley macleod was claiming scotland would win the world cup in Argentina.....we probably could with the team we had........if only we had a better manager haha

anyway as always thanks for your input

anything else welcome
                      Last edited by pecchi17; 02-12-2010, 09:38 AM.
                      Day man
                      Fighter of the Night man
                      Champion of the sun
                      Day man, day man
                      Uhh ahhahh

Comment

just a quick one, looking at this are some of you if not all thinking that this is all one page and not 2 pages over a dps? thats why the space is down the middle
                        Day man
                        Fighter of the Night man
                        Champion of the sun
                        Day man, day man
                        Uhh ahhahh

Comment

Ah well that's the problem of posting in world wide forum then. I don't get it. But I still don't get ROAR either. I did a large Rugby team web site in England and didn't run into any of this with the clients. Live and learn. The poster Zep posted is the fashion of your piece but it still needs more clarification for the hierarchy in my opinion.

Comment

Scotland were never World Champions...

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

unofficial world champions - it's a big thing here in out football history that we were the first team to play england then beat them after they won the world cup and in the fashion scotland did it as well, baxter doing keepy uppys, sitting on the ball and toying with them all over the place

ahh those were the days haha
                              Day man
                              Fighter of the Night man
                              Champion of the sun
                              Day man, day man
                              Uhh ahhahh

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X