Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• jr72023
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    jr72023
    It really looks good. As noted, I am not an artist. The rest of the posters are the pros.

Just curious if a ? in the lower bubble "clue" might not be a little more poignant? Even...
    Today, 01:39 AM
  • Derailed
    Reply to I am SO confused about vehicle wrap design?
    Derailed
    I work for a wrap company. We do almost everything in Illustrator. They send me the templates of the vehicles, although sometimes I don't have to match everything up exactly. Would you be designing...
    Today, 12:16 AM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Adobe Illustrator... Object won't select!
    kemingMatters
    Drop shadow is a raster effect, you'll have to look in the appearance palette to remove the effect
    Yesterday, 11:02 PM
  • Pavlo
    Reply to My logo attempt (be brutally honest)
    Pavlo
    I really like the latest version and the concept of the e's facing / speaking with each other. The look and feel is vastly improved and I get an immediate sense of what you are trying to say about the...
    Yesterday, 10:44 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Deaf graphic designers
    KitchWitch
    Hi Signing Toys and welcome to GDF.

If you are looking to hire a deaf graphic designer, please post in the classified section and be sure to include an email address so people can contact...
    Yesterday, 10:26 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winter Gala Poster

Hey,

Any feedback/comments on this poster before I send it to print.

Thanks in advance everyone.

This is beautiful!
    Just my 2cents, the blurry thing behind the ballerina looks a little unnatural, especially near her head. The date on the poster says Dec. 5
    Last edited by Tofudge; 02-13-2010, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tofudge View Post
      This is beautiful!
      Just my 2cents, the blurry thing behind the ballerina looks a little unnatural, especially near her head. The date on the poster says Dec. 5
      Thanks!

Hmmm trying to figure out what blurry thing? will look around see if i can figure it out

ah the date is for when the tickets went on sale, not the show date

Comment

I mean the gray area. It's part of the photo. If I look on my pc I can't really see it but on mac, it's pretty bright.

Comment

I like the drama - nice start.

Is that hand natural to the dancer? It seems somewhat off. And I think text block is too compressed and difficult. And I not too keen on cutting the bottom off of the date line of text, which also seems to be set to large.

Comment

Originally posted by Grfk Dzgn View Post
            I like the drama - nice start.

Is that hand natural to the dancer? It seems somewhat off. And I think text block is too compressed and difficult. And I not too keen on cutting the bottom off of the date line of text, which also seems to be set to large.

Yeah hands, natural, shes holding what seems to look like a fan, a few people have said its a bit distracting, I might have to show the fan a bit.

The block of text seems compressed? hmm will look into it.

Yeah the date is rather large, maybe removing the the date and placing it into the right paragraph, removing dec 5th, since it's already past and shifting everything down. I'll try that

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tofudge View Post
              I mean the gray area. It's part of the photo. If I look on my pc I can't really see it but on mac, it's pretty bright.
              Interesting. I'm on a mac and I can't see it. crazy how monitors differ. I just had mines calibrated for printing, it's been fairly accurate so far; not saying your mac isn't, it's got me worried now though..lol

Comment

I see a gray area around the ballerina, but it looks like artifacts from cutting her out of a background?

But I also see a line down the second 'L' in Ballet. It's on the right half of the letter and runs top to bottom.

You'd better zoom way in on the original, just in case. those could be artifacts that were introduced when you made this version to upload.
                This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Then I guess it's no problem.

Comment

Very nice. I like that a lot - so let me ruin it for you.

This could be a ridiculous notion but here we go:
                    The l's extended all the way to the top are almost too much. What do they look like if they end at the top of the right text block?
                    Since this is neutral Euro style I would also look at a different sans, probably Kievit or Legato. But I am prejudiced, just not a Futura fan. I also think you could use a lighter weight of type for Ballet and it might be bit more elegant.
                    The hierarchy of when and where are off kilter but it sounds like you are on the way to solving that.

The l thing could very well be a bad idea, just wondering.

pbc
                    Last edited by Paul C; 02-13-2010, 08:35 PM.

Comment

yeah very cool poster, very clean design. i too can see the odd background problem. it looks to me like you just erased her background to blend in certain areas versus fully cutting her from the background.

i'm including a jpeg i put on my site for you where i circled the edge that's showing up along with another shot where i blew out the levels for you so you can see the hard edge. i'd suggest using the pen tool to clip her from her background and then just create a gray to black radial gradient. it also looks like you used a web based color for the black (#000). it's not flat but i tend to find with printing that using a cmyk conversion of 40, 30, 30, 100 gives me the richest color black.

nice work though!

Comment

Originally posted by bwhitham View Post
                        yeah very cool poster, very clean design. i too can see the odd background problem. it looks to me like you just erased her background to blend in certain areas versus fully cutting her from the background.

i'm including a jpeg i put on my site for you where i circled the edge that's showing up along with another shot where i blew out the levels for you so you can see the hard edge. i'd suggest using the pen tool to clip her from her background and then just create a gray to black radial gradient. it also looks like you used a web based color for the black (#000). it's not flat but i tend to find with printing that using a cmyk conversion of 40, 30, 30, 100 gives me the richest color black.

nice work though!

Whoa! Thank you so much. Major catch there. I'm going to fix it up asap. Thanks again for taking the time out to help me out.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul C View Post
                          Very nice. I like that a lot - so let me ruin it for you.

The hierarchy of when and where are off kilter but it sounds like you are on the way to solving that.

The l thing could very well be a bad idea, just wondering.

pbc

Tried making the L's shorter, it felt a bit off. Makes sense in theory tho.

for the When and where, the posters will be hung only at the actually venue it's being held at (od i know). I also think the poster will be on the website. not confirmed. Time will be provided when they visit the web site or call for tickets. I think they would want to pull more traffic to they're web site to showcase other shows and events.

Comment

Originally posted by lowfatgraphics View Post
                            Whoa! Thank you so much. Major catch there. I'm going to fix it up asap. Thanks again for taking the time out to help me out.

yeah no worries man. hope you get everything worked out. cool poster though.

ps: wonder what it may look like with a lighter black/gray'ish background? just thinking...

Comment

Cool lowfatgraphics - I knew the l bit was iffy. It really is a nice piece. From the look of the photo I think you could probably get where you want with the selection using Color Range and a mask. Even if it knocks out some of the black in the photo that can still look natural. Take a look at the different channels and find the one with the most contrast.

I still think a lighter weight of the font for Ballet might work really well. That appears to be Futura Bold Condensed. I would try it with Futura Light Condensed. That might help what I am perceiving with the heaviness of the lines from the ls.

Maybe something crazy like Univers Light Ultra Condensed. Maybe not.

If this is to hang at the venue then I don't mind the date big.

The tense of your ticketing language needs to be changed unless you are talking about tickets being available next December 5th.

Have you thought about a European style date? You know:

From the area code it seems like this is in America so:

I don't know if you are doing the copy but "exceptionally" seems a little over the top, festive does it for me.

pbc

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X