Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    <b>
    I agree, the Canoscan is a good scanner -- especially for the price. I've bought a couple of Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanners for work, and would do so again if they're still made. They've been very...
    Today, 03:54 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    PanToshi
    Adding my vote for keeping it.
    Today, 03:31 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Glad to Be Here Now!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Tess

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • PanToshi
    Comment on Where do you find talent?
    PanToshi
    Yep, like I said, freelancers who are hoping to work full-time for the company for which they are occasionally freelancing are unemployed designers who are freelancing until they find full-time work.
    Today, 02:40 AM
  • MichaelWied
    Comment on Where do you find talent?
    MichaelWied
    The "freelancers" are basically there to be called in if a big project comes up and they need the extra hand, and these are designers hoping to get a full time spot at the company.
    Today, 01:51 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Cleaning Logo

Greetings! I hope you all had a wonderful Valentines Day weekend. I have a logo I'm working on and would like some outside opinions.

There is no signifigance to the name, other than it gets him listed first in business directories. The main focus of this business is cleaning windows on constructions sites. As you can probably imagine, construction sites are dirty and windows in such environments are bombarded with a list of hard-to-remove substances. This company has an arsenal of industrial strength supplies to combat these challenges.

Okay, on to the proposed design:

The design is inspired by the owners history in the armed forces. He is an American veteran and, as he should be, is very proud of his service. It is a huge part of him and I thought it would be a unique avenue of approach in relation to the company identity.

The logo as a whole is meant to visually relate to a soldiers patch; A crest you might expect to see on a soldiers uniform. This approach allowed me to pay homage to his military career while also creating a graphic that communicated a sense of professionalism. Crest logos, such as universities for example, are commonly associated with such keywords as professional, trustworthy, quality etc.

The stripes are a common badge in the military which represents a rank of Sergeant. The stripes also remind me of window blinds. Now, you won't find window blinds in many construction sites, but obviously this company can and does expand past that limited market nitch; They also do residential and business windows. Also, the stripes in relation to the added stars visually hint at the American flag.

In addition to creating an American flag reference, the five stars also suggest superior quality in the same way five stars can communicate a great restaurant.

The banner is a classic staple of a crest design. It also allowed me to present the rest of the company name unabstructed.

The shape containing A+ is the outline of a hardhat (if it was facing towards you). I didn't want to make it obvious because, again, they do work outside of the construction business. I simply wanted a shape that could be associated with construction but at the same time not pigeonhole them into that particular market.

I didn't want to make the identity overly army-ish. This isn't a company housed inside an army base; It needs to have an army charm but still look corporate. To do this, I used a black and blue color pallette. As you know, blue is fairly common in corporate identities. Blue also reminds me of the color of Windex or other common glass cleaning agents, so it seamed like a good fit. It is also a color in the American flag, although not this particular shade obviously. The black is used for contrast as well as highlighting and emphasizing the name of the company (visual heirarchy and all that jazz).

I added some details like a gradient on the underside of the banner as well as a shadow. I'm usually not the kind of person to put these kinds of embellishments into an identity, but I'm starting to warm up to the idea. The logo could easily work as a single color if printing options are limited.

Thats it! Sorry for the long description, but I wanted to make sure I covered everything so you would understand where I was coming from. Any comments or suggestions on this logo would be fantastic. I don't have the luxury of working with other designers since I lost my primary design job, so hearing what other creatives think would be beneficial. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by garricks; 02-18-2010, 01:52 PM.

Loose the gradients.

How does it looked when it is .5" wide?
    Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

That's a helluva salad bowl.

It's not that all the elements aren't well considered, but there's just way too many of them; and none, other than the type, say window cleaner. Maybe a sly nod to his past would be a nice gesture but from this logo i'd be expecting The A-Team to rock up. And I pity the fool who disagrees with me.

Comment

Thicker font/strokes for window cleaning.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Roth View Post
          Maybe a sly nod to his past would be a nice gesture but from this logo i'd be expecting The A-Team to rock up.
          The A+ team. Armed with powerful cleaning agents and a kick ass van.

Comment

Originally posted by wacom View Post
            The A+ team. Armed with powerful cleaning agents and a kick ass van.
            That made me laugh - very rarely does a comment on a forum make me really laugh.

Well played.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

kicking ass, cleaning windows. i like it.

as far as the logo goes, the font for window cleaning doesn't have enough 'balls' to it, it is a slight whisper to the bold aspects of the rest of the logo. I also wouldn't mind seeing A+ be a little more stylized.

Maybe do the "A" and replace the triangle silohuette in the a with the + symbol.
              Tapp-d
              "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

Isn't the Sarge patch upside down?
                My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by stinkyboy View Post
                  Isn't the Sarge patch upside down?
                  Yes it is.

Comment

I agree with the poster who said there are too many elements. Also, I don't really care for the "Window Cleaning" typeface. I like the choice of blue but the green isn't doing it for me. One color might be the best option. My last suggestion is to include some element of window cleaning no matter how subtle it might be.
                    Lucky Type design boutique

Comment

Originally posted by cmorgannorris View Post
                      I like the choice of blue but the green isn't doing it for me. One color might be the best option.
                      Seems I uploaded the wrong design. At first I wanted to use a dark green as the second color, but decided it didn't work; Probably for the same reasons you disliked it as well. That dark green is now just black (as I described in the description).

Keeping it two colors allows me to highlight the company name and allow it to stand out. That seems like a better option than a one color solution. However, it can clearly be one color if the printing requires.

I'm not sure four elements in a logo is too many, but since it has been brought up twice I will take a second look.

Comment

Originally posted by Roth View Post
                        That's a helluva salad bowl.

It's not that all the elements aren't well considered, but there's just way too many of them; and none, other than the type, say window cleaner. Maybe a sly nod to his past would be a nice gesture but from this logo i'd be expecting The A-Team to rock up. And I pity the fool who disagrees with me.
                        This. I also think it would benefit from losing those gradients too, they don't sit well with the rest of the logo elements. And I agree with the suggestion to make 'window cleaning' a bit stronger than it is at the mo.

I actually enjoy the 'A Team' twist it seems to have, it's cool and unique for a window cleaner, it just needs to say window cleaner a bit better than it does at the mo.

Comment

Originally posted by artgem1984 View Post
                          I actually enjoy the 'A Team' twist it seems to have, it's cool and unique for a window cleaner, it just needs to say window cleaner a bit better than it does at the mo.
                          I agree with this. Wacom, have you thought about more than the logo? What about the brand? Trucks wrapped in camo, or just black (like the A-Team)? Workers' uniforms? There's a real opportunity for this company to stand out well beyond their placement in the Yellow Pages.
                          This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                          "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by artgem1984 View Post
                            This. I also think it would benefit from losing those gradients too, they don't sit well with the rest of the logo elements. And I agree with the suggestion to make 'window cleaning' a bit stronger than it is at the mo.
                            As far as the gradient, it is only applied to the two small curls in the banner. It goes from dark grey to a lighter grey. It's pretty subtle and when it gets reduced it simply runs together and appears solid. And again, it can easily be replaced with a solid if necessary. I merely like the added depth it creates when the logo is big enough for the viewer to see that particular detail. I know some designers are against gradients no matter what, so I understand the criticism and have taken the necessary steps to eliminate it when necessary.

As far as the logo not saying "window cleaner": I tried traditional cleaning imagery early in my thought process, but decided to go a different route. For the record, most logos are not literal visual devices. That's not the purpose of a logo, as I'm sure most of you are aware.

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                            Wacom, have you thought about more than the logo? What about the brand? Trucks wrapped in camo, or just black (like the A-Team)? Workers' uniforms? There's a real opportunity for this company to stand out well beyond their placement in the Yellow Pages.
                            Yes! In fact, I'm working on a poster for them right now. It's going to look like an old war propaganda poster. I'm excited about it.

As far as future branding and projects, I will give him my ideas. I agree, this route I have taken could lead to some great branding. It could really allow his company to stand out and be remembered. I'm not sure he has the money or the desire to do it all, but maybe in baby steps.

Thanks everyone. This has been fun

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X