X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 Page Ad for New Product

This is an advertisement (one of two) I am working on for a company who produces these electrical units.

I had a meeting with the clients and although the meeting went well the brief was rather... well, brief. Not many good pictures were provided (which can all be found on their website) and not very much copy was provided. I was given a rough idea of the copy and a headline to include but was encouraged to 'jazz it up'... Not to mention it was way to wordy for a 1/4 page ad.

The ads will run in two magazines, one being and electrical mag and the other a landscape and architecture.

Anyway, this is my first draft and I am looking for some honest feedback!

What are your thouhts about the ad? The layout?
    Would you skip right over this ad?
    Is there enough info, where you would know what the product is?
    How could I improve?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

That's pretty boring. I checked their website and I think you put a lot of "jazz" into it. Tell them engineers if they cannot tell their customers what their POS is, they should not spend money on ads.

The ad needs a claim at least. Something like:
    "Outdoor Power: Safe, stylish, sapient. The P-Doc Power" Something like that, just a quick one...

And spice up the background color. Green is fine, but a green with more blue would mix ecology and engineering. Something like Pantone 321.

But that's only what I think...

Comment

This ad as it is probably ok for the electrical mag. Landscape and architecture magazines are very spiffy. Have a flick through the magazine and get a sense of what the competition is like. This ad would look out of place.

For example, the product installed in a beautiful interior would might work.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

It's the arrangement of text, the outglows and the bevel and emboss that bothers me. And the bullets are slightly boring.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

I would set them up in their real environment, like them being installed on a nice trimmed lawn, with a nice house and a blue sky in the background...

Comment

It does feel a little plain and the outer glows around the text distract from the product.

Comment

Did you do the logo or is that theirs? Because it reads Podoc, not Pedoc.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far... I didn't think this little ad would be this tough but with the lack of quality product shots and official copy and headline, it's a bit of a pain.

I am going to try some different backgrounds and fonts, as well as get rid of the white highlight which everyone hates (including me now).

As for the logo, no I did not create it. One client was pleases with their logo while the other wanted it 'redone' - but that's a seperate project, literally.

I will continue working and see what I come up with. Any other help would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

Comment

Here is an update. I am trying to take the BEST photo I have and put a little life into, but I don't know if it's working... I tried to add other photos, images, backgrounds, etc. but it never looks right/matches the product shot. This project is really starting to piss me off.

I really wish I had a professional picure of the product outdoors like everybody has already mentioned.

It still feels really 'amateurish' and I am almost embarrassed by it at this point.

Any advice?!

Thanks again.
                  Last edited by BryanWinds; 02-18-2010, 06:36 AM.

Comment

I think it's better anyway.

But still the confetti looking background is not needed. I see you're going for earth tones in the border, but perhaps you could add a woodgrain effect to the frame?

The text at the top is very weak in execution. This is your "call to action" This has to pop a lot more. The wavy text and the angle is just not sitting well with the rest of the design.

I like the way you've arranged the four bullet points, they sit nicely on that background. But if you're separating them by a darker background individually they don't need the "-" before them.

You could even use different earthtones for each bullet or something? Not sure how that would play.

I like the grass texture that the outlets are standing on.

It's a vast improvement on the previous piece though.

Comment

What about a local park/garden? Something that is pretty to look at and easily identifiable by the reader.
                      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Actually, from my previous post (as I can no longer edit it), I would suggest that instead of "-" for the bullets you could use green tick marks instead. Giving a correct mark for each point, and the green would go with outdoors, environmental etc.

Comment

The second one is a definite improvement. The confetti behind the units is distracting, as said above. My eyes are definitely more drawn to the picture.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them out.

"What about a local park/garden? Something that is pretty to look at and easily identifiable by the reader."

I wish I could but as I mentioned earlier, anytime I try to add a background photo it just looks off with the units... Any ideas?

Thanks again

Comment

Try to match the lighting color and angle of the background photo with the units?

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X