Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funk Band Logo - in a hurry!-

Hello!

Below is a logo I'm doing for a funk/hip-hop/soul-type band.
    *Also their 2 previous logos*
    It's a whole lot of band members who play various instruments and are a self-described "party band."

Their name is "First Street Heat."

I'm cutting them a good deal on price/time (plus logos truly are my weak spot).

They went with one of my original concepts of a bourbon st. style street sign and requested confetti and such bursting from the top. There were a couple other items we talked about including, but I'm already nervous about the fineness of the 'confetti' (as far as scaling/reproduction) and if it would be best to only use that element for larger pieces and t-shirts.

Gah.... give me what yuh got. My deadline is looming.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Attached Files

I like that you're keeping with the Bourbon St. style to help maintain an identity. I don't know if the two elements of your design really come together though. Kind of like a little plant growing out of the sign. I don't know if it conveys party as much to me as plant life. Have you got a reduced version to see how how the confetti business looks?

I'm kind of new to the forum critiquing thing.. I've been critiqued here before though so just trying to give back.
    portfolio: coroflot.com/joshtruong

Comment

Your design is a big improvement to the logos they used before. The first one looks like Sesame Street on crack!
      Though I don't understand the picture language in your work. To me it's a street sign with tentacles growing out of it. And in the place where I live, confetti does not fly upwards. To me it has a vague feeling of sci fi and even a ctullhu-touch of horror.

Maybe if you should change the tentacles to flames? And let the confetti rain in front of flames and street sign?

Comment

Thanks thus far. Completely agreed! I don't think it works together and it is like some weird a$$ plant growing up.

My motivation for the confetti going "up" is to be like it bursting up and out of the name.

I'm going to work on it more tonight (after day-job) and then I really need to get them a new proof. They need to get t-shirts done at the start of March and I'm heading to Alaska at that time! (unnecessary info.)

103 views and only 2 peeps commented on it's suckness?

Thanks again Zep and Incubeezer!

Comment

none of those are going to work at a smaller size. if they want t-shirts printed up try to keep in mind the more colors you have the more it's going to cost to reproduce. i'd step back from the computer and try sketching a bit. i'd try to make this a bit simpler, right now they are all over the place.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

IMHO, remove the confetti and tentacles from the logo and just go with the Bourbon St style sign. Tell them that you can add confetti and other party elements into the design of their shirts, posters, etc.

Nice job!

Comment

Typically - Thanks for your reply dude! The other logos are what they had in the before times. Yeah - as far as the t-shirt, I'm hoping to just stick to 2 colors or so. Once I know how they're going to be produced will help determine that. I agree w/ just keeping the sign mainly and maybe messing with other additions when used for shirts, posters etc. (No sci-fi tentacles though!)

Totem-Media - Thanks a lot for your feed back! Mucho agreeO!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
              Working...
              X