X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crit my portfolio.

Hi, i'm a UK based freelance designer. I'm currently looking for my first Designer/Artworker role. I've just finished my portfolio and thought I would post it here to get some constructive criticism.

Hopefully it's good enough to get my foot into the door.

http://tinyurl.com/ydapgkg

mmm OK.

1. Site took quite a while to load, which I found surprising given the amount of content. You have your own domain name (I assume given your e-mail address), why not host there? tinyrul.com/blahblah is not too professional. Plus you could host with somebody that can provide much faster load speed.

2. You've forgotten a favicon

3. Why use italic throughout the entire site ... as far as I remember (and I go back to moveable type days), italic is to add emphasis?

4. A bit more 'coming soon' for my liking, if you're going to launch a site for 'crit' then it should be pretty much 100%

Otherwise, you're not far away.

Comment

PS. Your page titles won't assist you in getting found in the search engines ('Divided we Fall' and 'About'). Plus you have no 'keywords' or 'description' meta tags?

Comment

Everything Bulgarica said except the loading time. When I just browsed through your pages they did load rather fast.

Your work looks very good to me. It's more than solid craft and I think your customers are very content with your work. It's a little dissapointing to find the KFA-site more offline than online, that's not really proving anything.

The site is solid work too and easy to navigate. Like Bulgaria wrote, get rid of the italics. If using only bold type feels a little like shouting, only italic feels like whining to me... :-)

On the negative side: I miss a little pepper. Creative energy. Daring stuff. Plain fun.

Good work!

Comment

Originally posted by bulgariacalling View Post
          mmm OK.

You have your own domain name (I assume given your e-mail address), why not host there? tinyrul.com/blahblah is not too professional. Plus you could host with somebody that can provide much faster load speed.
          Really? You've never heard of the tinyurl service? Look at the actual web address after you click on his provided link.

It also loaded really quick for me. I liked your work!

Comment

I think the site looks great. It's clean and minimal. I don't mind the italics at all.

Comment

Thanks wacom

Originally posted by wacom View Post
              Really? You've never heard of the tinyurl service?
              Sorry about previous comment, seems this 'redirects' somehow to the actual domain?

No, I never heard of tinyurl, nor would I like to. I have my own fileserver and only use 'real' domains and offer 'real' hosting.

However, my ignorance aside, I would still prefer to see:

[the actual domain name]

as a domain name than:

[a tinyurl hyperlink]

I still stand on my point about a missing favicon and all that italic tho'
              Last edited by garricks; 02-18-2010, 01:01 PM. Reason: actual urls removed by request

Comment

Thanks wacom

Sorry about previous comment, seems this 'redirects' somehow to the actual domain?

No, I never heard of tinyurl, nor would I like to. I have my own fileserver and only use 'real' domains and offer 'real' hosting.

However, my ignorance aside, I would still prefer to see:

[the actual domain name]

as a domain name than:

[a tinyurl hyperlink]

I still stand on my point about a missing favicon and all that italic tho'
                tinyurl is a service that allows you to use a short short to link to a url that is long. Most of the time people use it in twitter because of the character limit. It is in no way related to his domain name or hosting.
                Last edited by garricks; 02-18-2010, 01:02 PM. Reason: urls removed by request

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Mike ... I suppose as a 'web designer' I should know this stuff!

Comment

However, both URL's I cited above work fine, so why use the tiny thing, it's longer than the real URL?

Comment

On the technical side I haven't checked any code, etc. As for a design and aesthetic opinion I love it. I love the minimal look, you have a great eye for layout i guess that comes from doing all the newsletters.

The italic doesn't bother me. Designers are meant to break rules at times and even if I love it and 10 people hate it you know it's all subjective to taste as most design is.

I always find that when I work on my own projects I am way harder on myself. At times I blow rules away and people freak out. But I do get the occasional I love it. I'm working on my site now too, I keep changing it it's taking me forever I can't decide.

Bottom line it looks professional and if you feel comfortable with it keep it.

As for your work awesome dude!

Comment

However, both URL's I cited above work fine, so why use the tiny thing, it's longer than the real URL?
                        He probably wanted to keep it camouflaged. Perhaps he doesn't want web crawlers to index this forum page and log his url. I don't know why, but that's the only reason I can think of.

Of course, it's too late now

Comment

Thanks for the comments folks.

Bulgaria - Favicon. Good point, I shall get onto that.
                          I used tinyurl to 'keep it camouflaged' as wacom mentioned. Could you please remove the link from one of your posts. I did this because I didnt want anyone coming back to this forum to see criticism I might recieve. As im looking for a job I thought maybe it could work against me.

I agree with the 'coming soon' point you make. I havent done any design for years and only just getting back into it. Therefore some of the projects aren't complete yet. I should see to that though.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Zep - I have a thing for italics. lol. I dont know why. I just feel it adds a little something to body text. I do get many people telling me not to use it..but I always end up using it.
                          I see what you mean about the work/site not seeming so fun. I guess I should maybe add a personal touch to it. Hopefully after a few more projects some of the creative energy will come out more. Hopefully. lol

Thanks for the feedback.

Wacom, Benjo + MikeTheVike - Thank you for your comments, im looking for my first ever design job so positive feedback really boosts the confidence, while trying to make it in the cruel world. lol
                          Last edited by Rebelutionary; 02-17-2010, 05:27 PM.

Comment

I love the web layout. The images seem to take a while to load and I have fiber optics so that is probably an issue for others.

I like the italics, and the whole web site shows your work well. A portfolio web site is just a canvas for your work, it shouldn't fight with it for attention.

I would use some Jquery to add some image transition effects, maybe the cycle plugin.

Destroy logo is very cool. The trojan logo is very sloppy ( looks like a rushed job, head is bit od). And no idea what Terminus is. but over all good work.

Comment

PS. Your page titles won't assist you in getting found in the search engines ('Divided we Fall' and 'About'). Plus you have no 'keywords' or 'description' meta tags?

Very true, if anything at least put this in your title tags... "Identity / Branding / Print Media / Web Design /" that should get you boat loads of more traffic
                              ‘Our great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately controlled. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world. No government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and duress of small groups of men.’ - Woodrow Wilson

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X