Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Creative Suite and upgrading
    KitchWitch
    I'm on CS6 (not cloud) at work and I can still open old Pagemaker files. They aren't pretty, but it works.
    Today, 05:51 PM
  • PrintDriver
    PrintDriver
    You will be able to open all your CS2 files. Just be wary.

You might have trouble going from Illustrator CS2 to CS6. If you have any clipping paths in images placed in Illustrator that aren't...
    Today, 05:51 PM
  • kemingMatters
    kemingMatters
    I would look out for changes in text flow, effects being dropped, things like rounded corners going screwy when opening in CS6, the largest jump I've done is an indd created in CS3 opened with CS6. Plus...
    Today, 05:36 PM
  • UncleWally
    UncleWally
    In theory it should still work; however I might recommend double checking with Adobe just to be save.
    Today, 05:15 PM
  • Casseopia
    Creative Suite and upgrading
    Casseopia
    OK - before I ask you guys a question, I have to admit to something so terrible, so heinous, that you might just walk away shaking your head... Before you do - please try and help me with this question....
    Today, 05:04 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logo Concept

I'm updating personal portfolio. I decided to give myself a fake project.

Any and all feedback is welcome. And thank you in advance for taking the time to do so.

i wouldn't put a timex logo in your portfolio. why not create a made up brand as well?

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

Figured I'd pick a company's logo I dislike, read up about, redesign. Why go through the headache of picking a name and adding an additional task to my do-list. It's a common practice i've seen before. Feel more real world to me when you can actually research about a client.

Comment

fine for a school product but i wouldn't put it in a portfolio. not my portfolio though so whatever floats your boat

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

To each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by lowfatgraphics View Post
            Figured I'd pick a company's logo I dislike, read up about, redesign. Why go through the headache of picking a name and adding an additional task to my do-list.
            Because it shows that you've really used your head instead of just your eyes. Take pride in your work and don't re-do others'. Do everything with a spirit of excellence.

How about this instead. You don't like Timex's current logo, so why not imagine "Clocksmith" as their competitor and design a logo to compete with theirs? That's something I'd put in my portfolio, for sure. Shows your potential employers that you'd fight for their company in a competitive way, not to mention that you're not afraid to challenge established brands and put the little guy up against them.

Be original. That's one of the most important parts of design.

Comment

Originally posted by covax View Post
              Because it shows that you've really used your head instead of just your eyes. Take pride in your work and don't re-do others'. Do everything with a spirit of excellence.

How about this instead. You don't like Timex's current logo, so why not imagine "Clocksmith" as their competitor and design a logo to compete with theirs? That's something I'd put in my portfolio, for sure. Shows your potential employers that you'd fight for their company in a competitive way, not to mention that you're not afraid to challenge established brands and put the little guy up against them.

Be original. That's one of the most important parts of design.
              creating a logo is creating a logo, whether it be for the underdog or the leader of the pack.

"Take pride in your work and don't re-do others'"? this is nothing like timex's current logo or even a similar version; I do take pride in my work and that has nothing to do with me trying to re-brand a company who's losing the market yearly, logo being step 1 in the process.

There is no different between me redoing clockwork or Timex. Why would I pick clockwork as an underdog when Timex it self is a underdog right now in the watch market.

Stick to the question posted at the top. I just want feedback on the symbol and logotype. Nothing more about your personal belief system.

designers such as sagmeister and Kenya Hara have recommended these tactic's to increase portfolio work.
              So If I decide to redue a CD cover I have to make my own band?! Most people will tailor the companies name or product's name to something they find easy to design. And that's a double edge sword within it self.
              Thanks
              Last edited by lowfatgraphics; 02-18-2010, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Why go through the headache of picking a name and adding an additional task to my do-list.
                Because it's fun. Because it's a great challenge. Because it would be - original. And if you think all that adds up to a headache - I suggest you stock up on pain relief meds for when you get into the real world.

Do something fresh and add that to your portfolio. Otherwise it's misleading to those who take the time to look at your portfolio.

Why not step up and send TIMEX your effort?

Comment

Any and all feedback is welcome. And thank you in advance for taking the time to do so.
                  Stick to the question posted at the top. I just want feedback on the symbol and logotype. Nothing more about your personal belief system.
                  Um, OK, which is it? You're getting awfully testy at people who took your first post at face value and gave you honest feedback.

Look up at the top of this page:
                  The Crit Pit Post your work for critique, but wear your heavy sweater!
                  My 2: When you reduce this to a business card your tittle will completely disappear. The stencil-like "T" isn't very elegant, and the diagonal slash through the "T" and the arrow make no sense.
                  This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                  "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by Grfk Dzgn View Post
                    Because it's fun. Because it's a great challenge. Because it would be - original. And if you think all that adds up to a headache - I suggest you stock up on pain relief meds for when you get into the real world.
                    I have real world experience. I work long hours and recently after year's got the urge to add some new stuff to my portfolio.

Originally posted by Grfk Dzgn View Post
                    Why not step up and send TIMEX your effort?

Yeah, I would love to make like a complete re-branding guide and submit it.
                    I saw Iso50 re-brand playboy (http://blog.iso50.com/2009/12/20/reb...ok-production/) and It got me wanting to re-brand a company, go all out with the branding guide, type, colors, ad's.
                    figure it would be fun and people have something to relate it to (being the old timex)

Thanks
                    Last edited by lowfatgraphics; 02-18-2010, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                      Um, OK, which is it? You're getting awfully testy at people who took your first post at face value and gave you honest feedback.

Look up at the top of this page:

My 2: When you reduce this to a business card your tittle will completely disappear. The stencil-like "T" isn't very elegant, and the diagonal slash through the "T" and the arrow make no sense.
                      Ha sorry Garrick's if it comes off like I'm being testy, I'm not. I just wanted feedback on the work; not the project idea.

And your 2cent's is the honest feedback I prefer. good point's. I'm going to play with it some more. yeah, the slashes made no sense but I figured I'd just do it for visual reasons to justify the arrow, guess it's not working lol

Comment

Why go through the headache of picking a name and adding an additional task to my do-list
                        you didn't...did you just say that ?

I suggest you stock up on pain relief meds for when you get into the real world.
                        yes, yes, yes
                        sigpickeep it simple or simply keep it

Comment

It's not a belief system, it's called ethics and standards. Clockwork doesn't exist, btw. I pulled that name right out of the hat I call my ass. Sure took me a long time to come up with that one; didn't even need to add it to my to-do list.

My point is that your attitude is that of some kid who stole Photoshop and learned to make some cool "sigs" for some forum. If you want to be a designer, and have an impressive portfolio, BE ORIGINAL. You will get much more respect for a brand that you created and designed than you will for re-designing a logo of an existing company, unless they happen to be your client. If you want a good job, you have to work for it. Stretch those creative muscles! Don't make pretty pictures, design!

Comment

yeah, I can tell you pulled it out your ass because it was sht..lol

anyway, don't assume things about people when your the student in this conversation.

It's my portfolio, I can add whatever concept I wish to add to it as long as I make it clear it was a personal project, why are you so jumpy? As in " If you want a job", I have one; I'm a lead designer for a fashion company; and from your profile seems like your still in school. I'm just doing this for fun, I just want to try different things then fashion weeks and photo-shoots, so relax. Your taking this convo way to serious, back up and breathe.

step away from the mouse good sir...

Comment

Originally posted by covax View Post
                              It's not a belief system, it's called ethics and standards. Clockwork doesn't exist, btw. I pulled that name right out of the hat I call my ass. Sure took me a long time to come up with that one; didn't even need to add it to my to-do list.

My point is that your attitude is that of some kid who stole Photoshop and learned to make some cool "sigs" for some forum. If you want to be a designer, and have an impressive portfolio, BE ORIGINAL. You will get much more respect for a brand that you created and designed than you will for re-designing a logo of an existing company, unless they happen to be your client. If you want a good job, you have to work for it. Stretch those creative muscles! Don't make pretty pictures, design!
                              Seesh, take it easy dude. Why is it any of your business what he decides to choose to do? He just wanted some feedback for his logo, why can't you just do a crit?

Actually, I think rebranding isn't a bad idea. Many companies have to rebrand in order to be able to market their product/services better. It would be nice for them to see that you are able to redesign something "trendier" or more fresh.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X