Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Are you interested in selling your company?
    KitchWitch
    Hi 858 and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 04:28 AM
  • thebombman53
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    thebombman53
    I know of those sites - I actually have profiles on them. The point of building it myself is to give me practice with web design. Again, why I'm here asking for criticism. If you have any feedback, it...
    Today, 01:02 AM
  • Buster_
    Reply to Portfolio Site Design
    Buster_
    I can appreciate that you're trying to build your site from scratch, but why not use a portfolio hosting site that offers free templates until you're more comfortable with web design? There are plenty...
    Today, 12:05 AM
  • salsa
    Reply to Getting started...
    salsa
    If you're not sure you're making enough, figure out you income per hour and take into account all your expenses and overhead and blah blah blah. It takes some time to put together the spreadheets, or...
    Today, 12:02 AM
  • salsa
    Comment on Crit on my first business card? No client, experimental.
    salsa
    em: —
    en: –
    hypehn: -
    Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designed my first book cover

I'll be going to press with this soon. The white block, as you've probably already surmised, is for the barcode.

Not really looking for a critique on this one, just showing it off.
    Last edited by JaCkinbOx; 02-17-2010, 08:04 PM.
    Creativity is taking what is and bringing in what isn't.

I like the simplicity of the front. If I could change one thing (sorry I know you said you're not really looking for crit) I'd make the text on the back just a little bit smaller to get it further away from the edges.

Comment

yes I like the cover as well but I gotta say it...

" A Collection of Poetry..." fades into the background, font too light...and again this is too close to the edges as well.
      sigpickeep it simple or simply keep it

Comment

It's in the crit pit, so I'm gonna crit it.

The front looks good, but the text at the bottom looks really cramped. It makes me feel tense. I would have reduced the size of the font and expanded the kerning to maybe 50 or 100 to make it look more natural. And it's not centred.

The back is a bit ugly. The text has that same tension. It would look better a little smaller, so that the leading could be increased a bit.... that would make it easier to ready too. And I personally would have used the same font from the front - The same goes for the text on the spine.

Those brush strokes are hideous and don't relate to anything in else in the design.

Comment

Well, the title is using a brush script typeface so the strokes can relate, maybe try making them thinner since they're a bit overpowering.

Comment

The title's centered in my file, but I see what you're talking about. I'll check to see what's up.

It's a 5x7" book, 52 pages. The thing that bugged me is that the spine's only going to be 0.104". I couldn't get anything larger than a 6 or 7pt font to fit, but that's what I'm limited to. Maybe if I capped all the letters, I could get away with a bit bigger, since it's the descenders taking up that extra bit of room.
            Creativity is taking what is and bringing in what isn't.

Comment

Ask her to write longer poems.

The front's nice but there's a total disconnect with the back. All the nice, clean design has given over to bog standard stodgy type, and an Illy brush swoosh. They just don't look part of the same book. And if i were Nancy i'd want my name a bit more prominent somehow.

Comment

It's always exciting to see your work put into print. I go back and a couple of my designs still hold strong. A couple, I wish I could put under a rock. You'll only get better.

Roth..I agree on the name, but have you noticed how big some author's names have gotten on the best seller paperbacks? I was floored on how huge they've gotten. Some of them take over half the front cover. To me, that's a bit of an overkill.

Comment

Small pens syndrome.

Comment

I like the front picture a lot. Very calm and beautiful. The subtitle on the front is getting lost because it is so light. The swooshes on the back don't fit IMHO with the overall design or the back design.

Comment

Originally posted by holycow77 View Post

The front looks good, but the text at the bottom looks really cramped. It makes me feel tense. I would have reduced the size of the font and expanded the kerning to maybe 50 or 100 to make it look more natural. And it's not centred.

The back is a bit ugly. The text has that same tension. It would look better a little smaller, so that the leading could be increased a bit.... that would make it easier to ready too. And I personally would have used the same font from the front - The same goes for the text on the spine.

Those brush strokes are hideous and don't relate to anything in else in the design.
                      ^ This.

Comment

Originally posted by holycow77 View Post

agreed.

I would also place the authors picture inside the flap or somewhere else except the outside

I do like the overall direction of the cover. Just need to iron out the details.
                        Last edited by lowfatgraphics; 02-18-2010, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                        Working...
                        X