Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Cosmo
    Reply to Please help with company logo
    Cosmo
    Web site, T-shirts, and business cards are three different methods of reproduction, so you need to make sure to simplify your logo enough that it works for all three methods (and any future methods you...
    Today, 05:27 PM
  • Staisman
    Staisman
    Here is a new website design I am working on right now. Maybe this will help....
    Today, 05:26 PM
  • Staisman
    Staisman
    About printing applications. Nothing crazy, I will use logo on the website, T-Shirts, and Invoices/business cards....
    Today, 05:20 PM
  • Staisman
    Staisman
    Thank you guys for your inputs. Of course I am not a professional designer but also I don't have funds to hire one, that's why i am here. I am not expecting anyone to do the job for me but I am willing...
    Today, 05:10 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to What is this product ? please
    seamas
    Dessert topping
    Today, 05:05 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Logo

my eyes are glazing over from staring at the monitor too long. I need some guidance. I'm creating an identity system for my design portfolio, business card, letters, an so forth.
    My teacher suggested I might want to make my logo appeal to corporate businesses since a lot of my design skills seem to cater corporate jobs. And since I'm a generalist, she also said not to go crazy with my logo but to make it appeal to a variety of businesses. (but I can go crazy on my portfolio pieces)

This makes sense, but I'm finding this hard to do! Cause my instincts are saying to go quirky and random since that's how my personality is. Honestly, I'm tempted to draw a bunch of scribbles with an M on top, or a hippo and call it a day.

Maybe I can find a blend between what corporate businesses want and what represents me..

Being my name is Mark Mizal, I tried to do something with the two Ms.

My favorite color is lime green, but my teacher said that corporate people like blue. So I tried to use both.

Honestly, guys. I dunno anymore. I need a break. So here's what I came up with.

I need a lot of direction, so please share some constructive criticism. Making a logo for myself is harder than I thought. Thanks

9 and 14 look like the view from the foot of the bed during...well, you get my drift.

You are your own client in this case. Have you written a brief? Have you asked yourself the same questions you would ask any client? Clarify (with a pad and pen) what you want your business to be, and to whom it should appeal.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by Markasin3 View Post
      my eyes are glazing over from staring at the monitor too long.
      Try staring at a pad of paper with your pencil then.

Originally posted by Markasin3 View Post
      My favorite color is lime green, but my teacher said that corporate people like blue. So I tried to use both.
      Then use (lime) green. That's what I did!
      Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Added

I saw some potential in number 8 because it was very simple, and so um... I got a little carried away

Last edited by Markasin3; 02-20-2010, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I like number 4 and 7. 7 would be very cool animated as if writing your name......just a suggestion.

Comment

Sounds like an odd thing for a teacher to say. Just because many corporations use blue doesn't mean you should follow suit - otherwise we'd all end up with only blue logos. Go with what suits YOU - as you are the designer for your work - not your teacher.
            - Jen

"You cannot soar with eagles if you surround yourself with turkeys"

My blog

Comment

also - i like where you're going with the mark - but the typefaces you seem to stick with are on the thin side - i'd play a bit with different fonts- check on the readability of the overall mark at different sizes.
              - Jen

"You cannot soar with eagles if you surround yourself with turkeys"

My blog

Comment

okay, thanks

I think I'm leaning toward sample A

Comment

If you're going with A then sort the shadow out. It looks like an A, with the left leg shadow completely throwing it off. Plus this is greyscale. How's it going to work in b&w? The two-tone M doesn't really seem to be signifying anything. Dull type too. Actually, there's not a lot to like in this. There's better choices in the original 15, like 5 and 7.

Comment

Why not a hippo?

My logo is a penguin.

I like 6 from your first batch, but they are a bit boring... It seems like you've got some talent and I good eye for design - I reckon you could do much better.

Comment

I like 5 from your initial designs.

I don't really like the shape of the 'M' in Markasin's edits, the straight edges at the tops make it look a bit cheap. I think that's why I like 5, because of the pointed tips. Looks a bit more sleek.

Comment

Thank you everyone. Roth, you're right, the more I looked at logo A, it just looked like one big mess, and the crown-like appearance doesn't really fit me anyways. I messed around with number 5 and number 7 and challenged myself a little bit more.
                        These are designed completely in black and white. Number 5 is near the bottom, and number 7 is there, a tad bit tweaked.

Comment

Who is your target audience with these designs?
                          What do they expect a designer to be like?
                          I think your designs are developing in a very technical, artificial, virtual direction.

If I were an engineer, a lawyer or an evil director of HR I might prefer designers with a touch of artistry or even handcraft.

So I'm the dissenting opinion here: I vote for number fifteen. Or for a future number fifteen with a little work done on it...

Comment

Hello,

Your logo is more than just an important part of your marketing materials. It is the face of your business. Your logo gives clients and prospects a visual reference to pair with your business name, which increases the memorability of your brand.

Here at logo design company.

Thanks.

Comment

"A" in POST #4 looks like a crease in folded paper, up the centre of the M, yet the rest of the M edges say it isn't folded. What about cutting out an M in card, putting in a real crease, and then playing with a torch to get a real shadow that really looks like the shadow you would like to have. I find doing things with card or paper in reality, triggers ideas that I wouldn't get in front of the VDU. But thats what happens when you're a Blue Peter fan And for all you yankee doodles... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWOrfTvOiKM
                              Last edited by Heartburn_02; 02-22-2010, 08:46 AM.
                              When men will beg God to kill them and they won’t be able to die

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X