Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• DanCMU
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    DanCMU
    The period, to me, makes it more of an assertion rather than a suggestion. I know that's not what that's used for (technically speaking) but it makes it pack a little more punch.

I vote to...
    Today, 11:03 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Dissertation topic
    PrintDriver
    What's a selfie?
    Just kidding.
    Narcissistic for the most part, more fleeting than a hashtag in general, and somehow people think they can make social statements with them. Society has become...
    Today, 10:48 AM
  • <b>
    Reply to How to choose a scanner?
    <b>
    I agree, the Canoscan is a good scanner -- especially for the price. I've bought a couple of Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanners for work, and would do so again if they're still made. They've been very...
    Today, 03:54 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to [ Logo Critique ] Period or not at the end of the tagline?
    PanToshi
    Adding my vote for keeping it.
    Today, 03:31 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Glad to Be Here Now!
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Tess

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:44 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding invitations

Hi!

I'm working on the invites for my wedding next year, I want them pretty simple. Thinking a nice thick uncoated white stock with a silver foil on the logo and a ribbon based on the colour scheme wrapped around the front.

It's still quite early days but I have been working on a logo for our names and would like some feedback on it.

Thanks!
    http://martyng.com

I dont really like the choice of a tapered typeface for the R and M. It looks kind of drip like when the letters extend below the baseline of the other characters (I think of blood but that might be an extreme thought). Compositionally, I think you could improve this or fine tune it. I'd like to see a better connect between the R, the ampersand you've created, and the M. I'm thinking maybe the R & M could stand on its own to be the logo if the composition is adjusted (without the full names spelled out for us after each letter). The full names could be an optional secondary part placed under/to the side, as more of a title or caption to this "R&M" logo which I think is more promising.

Comment

I quite like the R and M, I want the other letterforms to look organic like that too.

The ampersand looks very much like a musical Treble Clef to me. I wonder if a more "et" style ampersand would work better?

I'm not sure the heart and the ampersand should occupy the same space. I see what you're doing ,but it's not quite working for me... the & is so large compared to the heart. Actually the heart seems very out of scale to the rest.

You've got a really good start there!
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
        The ampersand looks very much like a musical Treble Clef to me.
        Ooooh, I did not see that ampersand until you said it! I was wondering why those curls look so unnatural. But yeah, I don't think it's working. Maybe because the initials are too big. The lowercase letters are very airy and elegant, which I like, it just doesn't go very well with the huge letters.

Comment

wow, I totally missed the ampersand. I'd definitely work on that. But I do really like the R and M. The way they intertwine together looks great. The heart is pretty subtle, not sure if that's what you were hoping for or not.
          Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
          | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
          | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

hmm... remember hierarchy. What ever you deem the most important should be more noticeable.
            And the smaller something is, the less important it will be.

I read somewhere that "stair stepping" elements aren't usually a good idea. Especially if they're "stair stepping" down.
            You might want to think about evening the names out on the same line.

Or if you're going to leave them floating like that in their randomness surrounded by white space, then at least put something in the back to connect and hold everything together better. Maybe another, larger, flourish-y heart behind or around everything.
            Last edited by Markasin3; 02-23-2010, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Markasin3 View Post
              R and M doesn't really tell us anything.
              But R+M, R et M R&M is a delightful monogram. People have been carving their initials in hearts into trees (and rocks, and mountainsides) from time immemorial!) That's a concept worth pursuing, I think.
              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
                But R+M, R et M R&M is a delightful monogram. People have been carving their initials in hearts into trees (and rocks, and mountainsides) from time immemorial!) That's a concept worth pursuing, I think.
                Yes Garricks, you are correct. It is late and I wasn't thinking, that's why I went back and edited my comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Markasin3 View Post
                  I read somewhere that "stair stepping" elements aren't usually a good idea. Especially if they're "stair stepping" down.
                  You might want to think about evening the names out on the same line.
                  The man clearly knows his place already.

I like the initial impact, but, yep, the ampersand is forced. Even the way the thin line comes out of the heart, it doesn't flow. I'd almost drop the little frond in the heart aswell, then bring it back in later if you haven't cutesied everything else in sight.

Comment

I adore the font. I can't really add anything that hasn't been said, except CONGRATULATIONS!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback so far folks. Some pretty mixed reactions, I agree it needs some tweaking, especially the ampersand. I am quite happy with the R and M though, they aren't from a font or anything, just based on some sketches I did.

Comment

In the end my girlfriend didn't really like any updates I did, and still loved the original one.

Anyway, finally got these back from the printers, still going to add some ribbon to them, but the foiling and the stock look pretty awesome.

Comment

Nice work there Martyn! The inside photo is a great touch.
                          Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                          | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                          | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Good job, not keen on the green lettering but like Bladez says the photo is a great touch.

Comment

Cheers. Gonna put green ribbon on them, so it was to tie in with that

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X