Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• approveme
    Reply to Hardware, Software Advice
    approveme
    Hi Paul,

Welcome to this forum, hope you enjoy here.
    Today, 05:59 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to What do you think of my video game cover art?
    Roth
    This is inferior to the original in every way. PD made some very good points already to do with hierarchy, and energy. There are basically three elements, the figure, the name, and the background, so...
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to Logo for a supplement company
    Roth
    This is a bit of a stretch. It's like you saw the H in the weights, ran with it, hit a creative wall and tried really hard to make the rest fit. The logo and name are out of proportion to one another...
    Yesterday, 11:50 PM
  • extraordenary
    extraordenary
    Professional designers either create the images themselves, or get it from someone else with respects to the copyrights. Designers often make sure that the image they have is royalty-free so they don't...
    Yesterday, 11:14 PM
  • graphic91
    graphic91
    Umm...really? I know about the design rules, but where to look first? There's not that much information or "look-at-mes" on it and it's just the cover of a video game. Most people who want to...
    Yesterday, 10:34 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Card Critique

Hi Everybody. I am a total noob. I'm not even sure if I really qualify as a noob being as I'm not really into graphic design. The reason I am posting is I recently figured out that I need a business card. I don't have the money to have someone else design it and I know a little (very little) about design and photoshop. So I figured I would design my own and I was just wondering if I could get some honest critique on it. I work in film so that might explain the idea behind the business card. I went with 18% grey as more of a novelty and homage to film, even though we live in the digital age. The only thing I'm pretty set on is making the back the 18% grey thing. Other than that, please tear into it and critique it as you will. Please be nice though. Thanks in advance.
    Back
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Front
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Kitten, you'll get more responses if you post the actual image instead of a link to it...

blog/portfolio

Comment

I don't know hot to edit my post so I'll try to post them here.

Comment

I can see why she posted a link Virgo ... but you asked for it

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

I would center you name on the back... Adding a drop-shadow to the G would give it a lot of definition. Most people don't add drop-shadows to their elements in their business cards. If you add a drop-shadow to the G it will make your card stand out among others.

Did you make this in Adobe Illustrator, and then rasterize it in order to post it here?
          sigpic

Comment

Your contact details are too close to the edge of the card.
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

IMO it feels rather boring and static. The large red G makes me nervous just resting on the edges like it is, either pull it in or make it bleed off the edges more. If you opt to pull it in, then you should make sure that it (along with your phone number, email, etc.) is at least 1/8 of an inch from the edges.

Comment

On my monitor the red 'G' on the grey is an eyewatering contrast. I get dizzy watching it.
                But maybe it works printed out on paper...

Comment

The red is a little bright and distracting...on my monitor too.

I rather like the simplicity of the design. Making the margin changes and lowering the red to NTSC-legal (I know you know what I mean!) would make it great!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everybody. I'll give all those changes a try and see how it looks. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Will you be setting these up in spot colors? A percentage screen of black will play hell with your small reversed out letters.

Comment

^agreed, and possibly be inconsistent, depending on which press it's run on. a PMS grey is more predictable.
                        Remember: Wherever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Viper View Post
                          Adding a drop-shadow to the G would give it a lot of definition. Most people don't add drop-shadows to their elements in their business cards. If you add a drop-shadow to the G it will make your card stand out among others.
                          Please don't do this as it will look horrible. There is a time and place for drop shadows and this really isn't it.
                          When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                          Working...
                          X