X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logos's Feedback highly appreciated

Hi my name is Goran and im in the middle of the graphic design course.
    This Monday for the first time my class creating logos and booklets for the real clients (non–profit organizations).

Im doing 3 logo's for the Rape Prevent Education.

Here is client brief
    The "Rape Prevention Education" logo appears “immature” in nature in that it feels a bit young and lacking in design sophistication.

I would like it to take on a more contemporary, professional and mature look.

Being that rape and sexual violence are a community problem and not just a female problem, the logo should engage both male and female audiences.

Project II: Develop a complimentary and youth friendly logos for our youth programs called BodySafe
    The existing BodySafe logo appeals to sponsors because it is ‘safe’ looking. It does not push any sexual boundaries which would make parents, teachers or others uncomfortable with supporting the delivery of the programme to their children.
    However it does not really appeal to youth. We need to strike a good balance here.

Numbered logos are my design
    Feedback appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Looks to me that the logos produced are pretty much a variation of the same thing but with different colors and effects.

DEFINITELY DON'T use effects on a logo.

The shield is a fairly good idea to explore, but your concept needs further development.

I would suggest getting the idea down in black and white before choosing colors.

I don't care for the male and female symbols being used in a piece such as this.
    It makes it look like it is related to sexuality and relationships.
    Rape is NOT sexuality.

Rape is a violent crime -and should never, ever be confused with sexuality.
    Using the symbols sends a confusing message.
    Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

I must agree with seamas here. The male/female symbols should be removed. I do like the shield though, as that says a lot about being safe from this type of violent crime.

Don't confuse it, rape is a violent activity, and should be treated as such in a logo. I think I might stay away from the use of the heart symbol as well, since that protrays the thought of love, which has nothing to do with anything here.

The shield is a nice idea, since everyone should feel safe and the shield protrays that ideal.

I would do two things: brainstorm it (Paper and pencil, white board...something) and then I would use black and white to protray your brainstorming. Don't worry about color until later.
      "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

Thank you for the fast response.
        I use male–female symbols only because client mentioned that like to see some design whit the symbols.

And for the effects definitely i will not use them.

Thanks
        Goran

Comment

Originally posted by Parki View Post
          I use male–female symbols only because client mentioned that like to see some design whit the symbols.
          That's understandable. Now you have some tangible reasons to cite for not using them.

One of the "other" duties of a graphic designer is to steer clients away from pitfalls.
          (pitfalls such as mixed messages, clichès, copyright infringement and potential production nightmares).

it is something a designer confronts quite often, and the designer has to choose to either do what the client asks (knowing it will be failure), or tactfully steering the client to better alternatives.
          Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

Thank you for the advices seamas.
            Here in New Zealand is 6:30am and i still not sleeping .

Originally posted by seamas View Post
            That's understandable. Now you have some tangible reasons to cite for not using them.

One of the "other" duties of a graphic designer is to steer clients away from pitfalls.
            (pitfalls such as mixed messages, clichès, copyright infringement and potential production nightmares).

it is something a designer confronts quite often, and the designer has to choose to either do what the client asks (knowing it will be failure), or tactfully steering the client to better alternatives.
            Last edited by Parki; 03-02-2010, 04:23 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Welcome! I recognise the client - we do a bit of printing for them here.

I'm not keen on the shield. Maybe because I work a bit with a condom company who's logo is a shield. The male/female symbols might work if they were a little more subtle, but I like the way you have incorporated them with the type.

I think the purple colour needs to go completely. It's really too feminine to appeal to men. I like the blue and the orange colours. They are good for male and female.

The script font looks bad. Where did it come from?

I think you need to think up some more concepts with interesting shapes you can explore.
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Wow their current rape prevention logo is no good, I'll leave the reasons aside.

I'm going to agree, the male female symobol is not something you will want to associate with rape prevention. It's too bad thats the name rather than a tagline. I'd say make it an anacronym, but "RPE" as the shortened version would be terrible to for obvious reasons.

I think you'll need to explore some other options, it's to bad they couldn't rename the ed program, it doesn't really call any appropriate imagery to mind. If it was associated with a name like "St. So-So's Program" or something at least you could do something symbolic in honor of the dedication.

Honestly I'd explore type treatments for both of these, I think the leaping stick fig. doesn't do anything for the current logo and the shield might be a little cliche.

Sorry I can't offer better, I only know what I'd avoid in making the symbol
                Tapp-d
                "I has puter, I isam dsgna?!"

Comment

When I see the shield logo, I think it's for a condom company.

Definitely steer clear of the male/female symbols. Rape can occur w/in the same gender too.

Comment

No to gradients, no to drop shadows. Yes to 4 and A.

Needs a bit more umph though.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

The male & female symbols simply don't belong. Rape has nothing to do with sex, it's about power. Plus women can rape women, men can rape men.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Idea for symbols was to communicate that this organization are male-female orientated not only female like most of the rape crisis centers.

Comment

I don't think using the symbols will convey that. Those symbols have historically been used to imply sexuality, not just gender.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
                            The male & female symbols simply don't belong. Rape has nothing to do with sex, it's about power. Plus women can rape women, men can rape men.
                            However, it would be difficult to portray that sort of idea without seeming odd or sick.

The current ideas aren't that strong, but I don't think you could convey the idea of power, etc in this logo easily and without controversy.

Perhaps you should try a calmer or more supportive logo, as apposed to trying to convey love or sexuality, as rape taints both ideas.

On the Youth logo, I don't believe that what you are using at the moment conveys anything about Youth. I understand the shield, safety and the idea of sexuality in the text, but to me it appeals to youths as much as the old logo did.

Comment

I certainly don't mean to suggest that the logo should portray some sort of power struggle, that goes entirely against what I imagine the organization is trying to convey.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X