Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heres Another

ready set go

Whoa. This is so unbelievably busy and cluttered, it hurts.

Step away from the computer and get some design principals under your belt. Throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks is not a good strategy, but it seems to be the way you roll.

Simplify, simplify, simplify.
    Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 03-03-2010, 07:49 PM.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Ok, We can't critique something without knowing what it is, who it's for, where it will be placed.. etc etc. You need all of that info to design something and we need it to critique it.
      - Jen

"You cannot soar with eagles if you surround yourself with turkeys"

My blog

Comment

Ready, set... WTF is it?
        Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

How come the magnifying glasses aren't magnifying anything?
          Why are something under the lens but over the lens frame?

Why is there some weird wave wrinkling the image?
          What the hell is supposed to be going on???

Does not make sense -visually or conceptually.
          Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

Comment

the plane graphic is nice but i don't get the point of the piece.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

I'm not going to lie... when I saw the what looked like melted plastic right in the middle of the piece I was laughing... I know that's mean but apparently that filter had comedic value.

There are pieces I like about it though... the North Shore text and compass is really neat, the plane is nice and it looks like a 7x5 flyer maybe?

Comment

The use of bevel and emboss and whatever other Photoshop filters you've used give it a very cheap and unprofessional look.

Comment

No good. It took me a minute to realize it was a magnifying glass. No balance, way too many Photoshop filters. Bevel and emboss... just no.

Post your sketches.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post

Step away from the computer and get some design principals under your belt. Throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks is not a good strategy, but it seems to be the way you roll.

Ok first of all I am working for a company and its a learning, Don't tell me what to do. Do I come to Mc Donalds and kick the burger flipper out of your hand. Sit down and read the forum rules again. I am already working for this comapny and have to be coming up with Ideas and designs whether I have experience or not. It is a learning process and I have to roll with the punches.

Originally posted by Cre8tivDirector View Post
                    Ok, We can't critique something without knowing what it is, who it's for, where it will be placed.. etc etc. You need all of that info to design something and we need it to critique it.

Sorry I was rushing out the door and didn't get to write the rest of the description. This is going to be a 9 x 4 rack card for motorsports dealerships promotiing our company and showing what we can do for toys and such. Boats, ATV's, Bikes, Sleds Etc.

Originally posted by seamas View Post
                    How come the magnifying glasses aren't magnifying anything?
                    Why are something under the lens but over the lens frame?

Why is there some weird wave wrinkling the image?
                    What the hell is supposed to be going on???

Does not make sense -visually or conceptually.
                    If you look in the backround the honeycomb backround is small, in the magnifying glass the honeycombs are big, with designs inside. Now the image is over the frame because I want it to look pooping out and bigger of course.

Originally posted by chia View Post
                    I'm not going to lie... when I saw the what looked like melted plastic right in the middle of the piece I was laughing... I know that's mean but apparently that filter had comedic value.

There are pieces I like about it though... the North Shore text and compass is really neat, the plane is nice and it looks like a 7x5 flyer maybe?
                    Ok thats the watermark in the center and there are no filters. The northshore Plane and top image are already our company logo theres no changing that.

Originally posted by mervman View Post
                    No good. It took me a minute to realize it was a magnifying glass. No balance, way too many Photoshop filters. Bevel and emboss... just no.

Post your sketches.
                    Again no filters, and the only bevel and emboss are on the top northshore logo and thats not going to change.

This is not finished but I thought I would just see the reaction I would get, don't really care if its positive or negative or if you like it or me. Not my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ideologies View Post
                      Ok first of all I am working for a company and its a learning, Don't tell me what to do. Do I come to Mc Donalds and kick the burger flipper out of your hand. Sit down and read the forum rules again. I am already working for this comapny and have to be coming up with Ideas and designs whether I have experience or not. It is a learning process and I have to roll with the punches.
                      I don't understand why you are offended by this comment. Virgo is correct, learn the basic principles of design before designing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tofudge View Post
                        I don't understand why you are offended by this comment. Virgo is correct, learn the basic principles of design before designing.

As I said I am learning while working I can't just stop working to go to school, my kids are not going to eat thanks. I am learning as much as I can while working and taking classes etc. But I am still having to work. still having to design, there is no option.

Comment

As I said I am learning while working I can't just stop working to go to school, my kids are not going to eat thanks. I am learning as much as I can while working and taking classes etc. But I am still having to work. still having to design, there is no option.
                          My question is...
                          It took me 5 months to find a job after I spent thousands of dollars and received a strong training. How did you get a job without any of that? (It sounds bitchy, yes. But I really want to know. I have friends that are still looking for work.)

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post

Um, look again. Virgo is a moderator. It's your post that's coming close to violating the forum rules.

You posted for crit, and Virgo gave it. It's not what you like? Well, this is the Crit Pit. Your attitude isn't going to garner more crit. I suggest you read THIS thread on giving and receiving crit.

Your friendly moderator,
                            The Badger.
                            This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                            "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

If you can't change the image and the logo, then try and find a way to enhance these. At the moment you've packed every available space. There is no real focus and that's why it hurts our eyes. Learn about focus, composition and white space for now. Learning on the job can be very fulfilling as long as you learn the appropriate things when you need them.

Since no one here could tell what these designs are for, then how can you expect your clients to understand? Design is about communication. You haven't communicated anything with these designs.

For example, when you see a real estate agent's business card, you should immediately be able to recognise what it is. It's not possible with your design. I can't tell what it is or what it's selling.
                              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X