X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because you Love me so Much

This is going to final. Just a sandwich board sign for Nissan you will drive past to see where to go for sales and service. Basic but I am still a work in progress

Last edited by Ideologies; 03-05-2010, 06:46 AM.

It's either final or work in progress. It can't be both.

As a piece of design it's tacky. The bevel, the glow, the stretching, the clashing colours, the inappropriate background, the arrow going to the edge, the choice of fonts, the layout. Every single element is wrong.

Comment

So you got an image from a stock site stuck it in the background. Threw the logo into the right corner. Added an arrow and beveled and embossed then decided to put some text there closed your eyes and randomly picked a spot. Then added an outer glow. Yeh I know it's still a work in progress and you're taking over Nissan by the end of the year or something.

We're never going to see the end product that you gave to the customer. This is just another attempt at graphic design. And I have to say it's very poor. Once again you've just whipped open some program an applied filters to text, to objects etc.

What exactly do you want us to crit when you post your designs? Just look at some Nissan Dealerships and look at some Nissan Posters and Nissan Branding guides etc.

What you've done here is redonkulous.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Roth View Post
        It's either final or work in progress. It can't be both.

As a piece of design it's tacky. The bevel, the glow, the stretching, the clashing colours, the inappropriate background, the arrow going to the edge, the choice of fonts, the layout. Every single element is wrong.

Its final and I am the work in progress.

Comment

Between you and me, I think you're safe to remove the watermark.

Comment

Arrggh my eyes! Lay off the effects - it looks cheap, tacky and unprofessional. I doubt that is how they want to be portrayed.
            When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Comment

The fonts you have used are do not compliment the Nissan brand. They look like they have been rescaled. Do not distort fonts unless you know what you are doing. Font designers spend a lot of time designing beautiful shapes. Stretching fonts kills these shapes.

Cutting the arrow into two doesn't read well. It looks like an arrow and a random shape on the right.

Putting an outer glow on everything looks bad. If you want contrast, then set light text on a dark background or dark text on a light background.

Does your client have a logo? I don't mean Nissan, I mean this company that deals with Nissan. Nissan would never use this kind of design for their branding.

It feels like you've just tried to fill every available space here with "stuff".

No focus, no space to breathe.

I think you can remove the watermark here too. No one is going to try and steal this to sell to Nissan.
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Cutting the arrow into two doesn't read well. It looks like an arrow and a random shape on the right.
                Thanks I was trying to give the space up to make room for the &.

Putting an outer glow on everything looks bad. If you want contrast, then set light text on a dark background or dark text on a light background.
                I am following a theme they already had with the red background and the white glow.

Does your client have a logo? I don't mean Nissan, I mean this company that deals with Nissan. Nissan would never use this kind of design for their branding.
                The royal oaks writing at the tops is already their logo font. Its already on all their banners/flags etc.

It feels like you've just tried to fill every available space here with "stuff".
                I was told what I had to have on the board and thats exactly what I did.

I think you can remove the watermark here too. No one is going to try and steal this to sell to Nissan.
                I put the watermark on it because my work requires I do.

Thank you for your input

Comment

Well it seems like they do this themselves already

http://www.royaloaknissan.ca/grandopening.htm

But there's a bit of a difference to what you've done and what they have already done.

If you've put everything they wanted on there then that's it I guess.

No point in critting anymore.

It's not a great design, and I don't agree with it. But there's really not anything else to say.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

i've said it before, i'll say it again; by no means am i a graphic designer. like you, i am still learning.

however, i agree with the contrast of the text. red on red doesn't read well, even with the white glow. and the blue is out of nowhere, i would try to make the text uniform in the design.

i agree also with the arrow. make it a cohesive object/piece. it is especially confusing because the back end of the arrow points up which is unusual itself without being cut in half.

the nissan logo is very nice if it is something you illustrated yourself.

Comment

Of their logos on their website, I prefer the top one: the black on red. But to me, these logos aren't logos but just their name written out in different fonts. Logos need to be consistent and there should be branding guidelines as well as reverse options (usually white) for use on dark backgrounds.

It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Rianne- if the OP did indeed redraw the Nissan logo (which I doubt) he would be in a world more trouble than not following brand standards as Budafist pointed out.

Ideology, this constant excuse of "it's what the client told me to do" is getting tiresome. The reason you use it is because you do not have the background to tell the client why it is a bad idea and suggest alternatives.

If you have no room to improve because the client 'doesn't like it', then there is no use in us giving critiques. You have no concept of branding standards and certainly no idea when it comes to roadside advertising and wayfinding. But hey, if the client likes it and pays you who really cares if the concepts work at bringing in more business for the client, right?
                        Uglifying the World one sign at a time.
                        Last edited by PrintDriver; 03-05-2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I think there is a real possibility that this person is trolling everyone here. I can imagine the OP sitting back in his chair and laughing at all these responses. If I wanted to troll a design forum, this is the kind of ridiculous material I would submit. Designs with lots of cheesy effects and hilariously bad layouts; All the things that designers despise and ridicule.

I've been around the internet for awhile, and this smells like a joke. If it is, then Bravo! If not, then...

Comment

Wow, just wow... I don't even know where to start on telling you how wrong this is.

Most notable is that you designed this entire file in RGB (look at your non CMYK blue color).
                            Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by wacom View Post
                              I think there is a real possibility that this person is trolling everyone here.
                              I have to agree. Even the title of this thread is a smirk.
                              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X