Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ChrisDudley
    Reply to Sand Queen
    ChrisDudley
    Hello Rokas,

You've done a stunning job on these illustrations. The only thing I'd be wary of is that this style of illustration has been around for a little while now. Obviously I don't...
    Today, 11:53 AM
  • skribe
    Comment on CSS responsive background image
    skribe
    This is a very old thread from 2011! But that might work okay, but is not the best option is some circumstances. I have found what works well in most cases is using the "background-size: cover;"...
    Today, 11:47 AM
  • StudioMonkey
    Reply to RIP: The Necrology Thread
    StudioMonkey
    The death of Australian cricketer Phil Hughes has hit a lot of people hard. So unexpected, so sudden, an awful thing to happen to a young, talented cricketer who was well on the way to being one of the...
    Today, 11:12 AM
  • extraordenary
    Comment on First Poster Design
    extraordenary
    Thank you a lot for the constructive criticism. The logos were actually given me to begin with and they were made on Illustrator, so I couldn't really do anything about that. I have learned a lot in terms...
    Today, 09:07 AM
  • Salt
    Comment on Happy Turkey Day!!
    Salt
    hehe
    because you ate stuffed turkey.
    Today, 08:05 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New logo

Been working on my personal logo again for my resume. As a drafter it is supposed to represent the paper turning into a home. Also the paper forms the initials of my name N.V.

Obviously I was going for simplicity but it may be too simple.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nicnicman; 03-08-2010, 04:03 AM.

I cannot make out an "n" or a "v". Looks to me more like rounded hills/objects next to the building. Your lines are also thick in some places and thin in others, so they do not connect and I can really tell where you drew what.

The concept isn't bad, I just think you need to play around with making the initials more legible and really just fine tuning it.

Comment

Basically what rieann said. A way around this would be to make use of negative space. So bits that would be shaded (underside of undulations, side of house, eaves, window etc) make black, and take out all the lines and see how that looks.

And obviously get the actual perspective on everything sorted like the window which sits flat.

Comment

Can you post an image and not a PDF? You will get more responses that way!

thanks
        Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

Yup. Not gonna download a PDF. Certainly not at 8 posts...

Comment

Okay, here it is.

Comment

I don't see the NV in there.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Is it meant to be a sheet of paper coming off the plotter then turning into a house?
                I think it's terrible.

I keep sharing this link because I think it's great, and am thankful someone who just turned communist(?) shared it with me.
                http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009...e-logo-design/
                When men will beg God to kill them and they won’t be able to die

Comment

Yeah, that is what I was going for but evidently it's not working! Guess I try something else. It seemed like a good idea in my head.

Oh and the NV is supposed to be in the paper part but it is hard to see. The V looks more like a U.
                  Last edited by nicnicman; 03-09-2010, 03:50 AM.

Comment

I would get a strip of paper (longer than needs be) and fold the letters NV into it somewhere about the middle of the strip, then see what happens. If the strip is longer than just the letters, then you can play around with it. You can get surprises when you play around in 3D.

Comment

Maybe a more straight NV would work. It would be more readible.

Comment

@Heartburn: Actually I have already tried playing around with strips of paper, but I'll keep trying.

@dean_martin: That's what I started with but then I got the idea of adding the house and I wanted the paper to look more like it was coming off the plotter.

I've actually been thinking of scrapping the whole idea for something more abstract. The logo could somewhat limit drafting opportunities to just architectural (although that is what I do mostly).

Maybe I'll just go back to what dean was saying about the paper forming my intials. Or, since my middle initial is 'A' I was thinking of using two inverted 'V' shapes in a quasi-Garamond font to form the 'N' in negative space.

Just thinking out loud. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

I know things have moved on (regarding CAD v drawing board), but if your skills are in drafting, what about the old tools of the trade, set squares, tee squares etc. Can you make use of their shapes or is that too non-abstract? -> (don't know the word i'm looking for). And since you aren't solely working on architecture, just ditch the house altogether. Also, what about using the ZIG ZAG lines as used in a broken view in drafting, to represent NAV, the ZIG ZAG perfectly produces NAV.
                          Last edited by Heartburn_02; 03-09-2010, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Here are two simple breakline logos with circles around them. Technically, the breaklines are backwards but they formed the N better this way. I like this idea but maybe it needs something? Maybe I could make the breakline white and the background black. Hey that would be just like the AutoCad background! Is there an easy way to reverse the black and white in Illustrator.

Thanks for the idea Heartburn.

Last edited by nicnicman; 03-09-2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

The points seem to sharp to me. Id like to soften them up or flatten them out. Would the slice tool work for this? What if I wanted to round the edges? It was made with the pen tool.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X