X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Company Logo

The company I work for is trying to create a new logo and work on our branding a little better. We're a computer hardware company targeting enterprise computing. Current logo can be seen here at bitmicro.com.

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on designs made by me and others. The image we are trying to project is that we are a different kind of tech company. Within our industry, brand marketing tends to focus on speed-related imagery.

Here are logos made by other people within the company. I can't comment exactly on what image they were trying to project with each since I haven't really asked but I don't think any of them are very strong from a branding perspective and at the very least, none of them look right to me for our company.

*images not created by you removed*

Here are the logos I've made. I'm not a professional designer but I've done some design work in the past.

I was focused on making something that would be strong from a branding perspective so I stuck with purple from the getgo since it communicates creativity effectively and is almost entirely absent as a color from our industry, so I really feel we can "own" purple. I was also focused on avoiding speed imagery as it is prevalent in brands in our industry.

G is a silhouette of a Da Vinci flying machine. Innovation, invention, creativity.
    H has a box icon which sort of looks like a shield at first glance. There is an "M" on the sides of the box and a "B" in the negative space on top of the box.
    I uses the same box as the M in the logo.
    J has a physically impossible shape. This plays on the innovation part, as well as helping accomplish the impossible. The gradient may be problematic. It also incorporates the number 7, which is somewhat important to the founders as seven brothers founded the company.
    K has the same impossible shape without a gradient.
    L has an arc. Nothing else to say about this really, just thought it looked good.

Please give any inputs you can. Let me know what you think is best, whether it's mine or not. Our VP of Marketing is considering buying a pre-made logo, anyone have thoughts on this also? Thanks!
    Last edited by garricks; 11-10-2010, 01:37 AM.

Jordan, the forum rules prohibit posting work for crit that the poster didn't create. Each of the other creators are welcome to post their logos in this thread.

Please read these important threads posted here. They will explain a lot about how the forum runs, from the rules and regulations to frequently discussed topics to the background on some of our lingo and inside jokes.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Lee View Post
      Our VP of Marketing is considering buying a pre-made logo, anyone have thoughts on this also?
      It's a very bad idea and he's an idiot for even considering it. All it will do is cheapen the company's brand. Plus what's to stop some other similar company from buying the same premade logo? Which could bring up all sorts of legal issues.

As for your designs, I'm not really a fan of any of them. For the most part they come across as being pretty generic IMO. Have you broken out the pencil and paper and sketched out your thoughts or did you jump right onto the computer?

Comment

da Vinci flying machine looks like a bat. BatMicro?
        I get the idea behind innovative and inventive. Perhaps a different, better representation. And no, not the Vitruvian Man.

Comment

One of them looks like the avery logo

None of them are very pro looking - is anyone there a designer? For a company, getting a branding and identity done professionally would be well worth the investment - and remember it is an investment not an expenditure.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

It's a very bad idea and he's an idiot for even considering it. All it will do is cheapen the company's brand. Plus what's to stop some other similar company from buying the same premade logo? Which could bring up all sorts of legal issues.

As for your designs, I'm not really a fan of any of them. For the most part they come across as being pretty generic IMO. Have you broken out the pencil and paper and sketched out your thoughts or did you jump right onto the computer?
            One 'logo farm' site i saw once had single use logos made, this only makes sense. However (and I hope it's ok to link to this blog) these logo's are simply graphics to fill a space. Logos are not - they're far more than that. This blog article - "Logo warehouses, crowdsourcing, and a lack of understanding" may be useful to you.

Your logos shown are generic as mentioned, except for the first which I didn't understand at first. Seeing the wings, i think immediately of bats and that leads to batman. This leads me in one path, to think it's a gaming company or a prop making company. The one I like most out of them is the second one 'H' because of the box. I think using a box in a creative way would be good, but suggest keeping it simple. Bit, not bits.

Also, i didnt even see the B or M in the box. The 2 bits on top looked like some kind of electrical plug (lending itself to notions of computing) but having it obscure like this may not be a bad thing.

So, don't go for premade logos. Mention to the higher-ups of hiring an actual identity/brand/logo designer instead of trying to save on money. There is a lot of intangile value attached to a logo or identity so if you switch again in the future - you'll lose a great deal of that.

Last edited by Dr.McNinja; 11-10-2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

mmm ... the 'g' Bat Thing doesn't work ... nor does the Avery triangle. The other one looks like an electric oven and certainly should not be used to replace an 'm'.

Unfortunately, that only leaves me the 'arc' of 'l' which I also dislike. However, colours are fine and I don't mind the font ...

... out with the sketch book and come up with a few more to throw at us.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                da Vinci flying machine looks like a bat. BatMicro?
                I saw the same thing and had to do a double take reading it!
                Professional Pixel Pusher Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X