Comment on Typography style at illustrator
    StudioMonkey
    can't edit any more for some reason.

Last point you could use rotate+shear or squash instead of Free Distort
    Today, 12:32 PM
  • StudioMonkey
    Reply to Typography style at illustrator
    StudioMonkey
    First one is easy - rotate + shear. You could do this in InDesign.
    The other two can be done in Illustrator. You can get similar effects with Envelope Distort - either Warp or Mesh - and you don't...
    Today, 11:17 AM
  • Lucifer
    Reply to Need color choice help on logo design...
    Lucifer
    What does this company do?
    Today, 04:52 AM
  • Roth
    Reply to Personal Logo Critique
    Roth
    You're in danger of having too many elements. If you're going to make something of the W being different, make it noticeably different (I assumed the Woodruff was in the W font, and took me a while to...
    Today, 04:46 AM
  • jwood
    Reply to Personal Logo Critique
    jwood
    Thanks for the thoughts and questions. I had several tries with the same font but it always looked too plain. The different fonts seemed to help the logo to stand out but still look professional. I'll...
    Today, 04:31 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinwerks Tattoo & Design - Site Review Please?

Hey all. Been a long time since I came around. Just finished re-branding one my sites I am affiliated with. Let me know what you think. Especially if something is broken!!

Site Review - Skinwerks Tattoo & Design

Thanks.
    Scott
    Last edited by skinns; 01-21-2011, 11:48 AM.
    Skinns
    Skinwerks Tattoo & Design
    Scott Padgett Art

"creativity is not a button you push"

First impressions:

- the shop is all female tattoo artists (although it's not, the site has that feel)

- the menu with the cursive font is hard to read/find - especially squeezed up against the same font in the tagline below the logo

- additionally, there are a lot of different fonts going on - it's distracting, and hard to read.

- Also, I generally feel with any site that is related to having a portfolio, that the site should showcase the work - in this case, the butterfly, gun, flowers graphic is overpowering the page

Comment

I like it..

the only thing wrong I noticed from a quick glance was the "meet the team" navigation link has been pushed off the nav bar in FireFox

Comment

Definitely too many fonts going on.

My biggest thing is that there is no gallery for each artist. When I am looking for a tattoo artist I want to see their SPECIFIC style. Not the gallery for the whole studio. People pick artists, not studios when it comes to tattoos.
        I would recommend you rework the site a bit to showcase each individual designer so that people can get a real feel for what they are signing up for.
        I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Other than what's been mentioned .. I love the overall design

One thing I did notice is the Body Piercing link at the bottom just takes you to the top of whatever page you are on. I want to see pics

I too would like to see a gallery for each artist.

But as I said I love the over all design and I sure wish you guys were closer

.. and Good to see you Skinns ... it's been a while .. I miss that Leprechaun

Daily Trivia Game ...GDF Fantasy Football League

Comment

Love the overall look of the site, however, I agree about the fonts ... way too many of them!

Also, on the Meat the Team page, clicking on any member of the team did nothing? Maybe it's a Mac issue?

Comment

Thanks for the Critiques. I hate when I leave a critique and the author of the post doesn't respond, so here goes:

Heres some reasoning on why I did what I did:

Fonts
              I knew you guys would hit me hard on this. I'm a big fan of 'too many fonts' myself. But there has been a lot of improvements with 'non-web' fonts being supported through cross-browsers through 3rd party apps, so it was a conscious decision to push the envelope. I'm using 3. Not exactly 'too' many. But I may go back and remove one.

Feminine Style
              Were producing highly enriched design and tattoos. Were heavy hitters on color and so the site needs to represent that. Plus there are enough 'Over Masculine Black themed' tattoo sites out there to make a billy goat puke. We also have a huge female clientele and our male clients seem to love lots of color. Thats just our style our brand.

Portfolio for Each Artist
              I completely agree, and our last 2 site designs we had portfolios for each artist as well as each design component (web, print, branding, etc). It was a complete nightmare to upkeep. As a team, we made a conscious decision to avoid it this time around and use the rotating banner / Recent work to highlight some of best work. Maybe I will reconsider.

Browser Issues / Bios not working..
              This is frustrating. I've check this damn site on 4000 different machines and haven't run into any problems.. Oh the joy of browser compatibility.

Much Appreciated.
              Skinns
              Scott Padgett Art

Comment

Hey Skinns,
                no offense was meant by a feminine edge - I threw it out there as my first impressions. And I certainly wouldn't suggest to go to the black goth style sites.

Also, you actually have more than 3 fonts. You have 3 in your logo/tagline itself - and then 2 different style titles/menu and the actual content font. So you are actual pushing around 5 fonts. Additionally, 2 of the fonts are close to each other, but instead of jiving it creates dissonance.

Comment

MoveMain, its all good brothera, I wasn't offended. I hope i didn't come off that way.. (I've got my thick sweater on)

5 fonts.. really.. dang it. I must have been reading to many font articles that week. Its gonna be painful to remove them. Let me see what I can do for ya.

thanks again.
                  Skinns
                  Scott Padgett Art

Comment

Normally, A logo kind of gets a pass because it's an object - but once sub text & taglines are involved, then they become more of a typographical element. This won't be true for all logos, but if a logo is mostly font, then you have to consider it in the overall plan.

Comment

I agree with that!

I preach this stuff all day long at my current job - A lot corporate clients. Maybe thats why I decided to break the rules, give myself a little 'freebie'.
                      Skinns
                      Scott Padgett Art

Comment

It's so nice to have an OP come back and have a conversation on the critique!

What if for the gallery you pick the best of the best for each designer, and maybe say you'll only update it every two months with new best ones, but only if they are better.
                        Or something...
                        I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

or create a filterable portfolio - that shows all of the work and then you can filter it by artist:
                          you can implement this in Wordpress or straight html:
                          http://www.wearepixel8.com/blog/filterable-portfolio/

Comment

Originally posted by skinns View Post
                            I agree with that!

I preach this stuff all day long at my current job - A lot corporate clients. Maybe thats why I decided to break the rules, give myself a little 'freebie'.
                            true, we all deserve a pass from time to time.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                            Working...
                            X