X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-profit biz card design

I'm new to design, so be critical nicely. LOL. I appreciate the feedback.

You should post the images directly into the site here. People here do not like links. Especially those viewing this site from work.

Having said that, your leading needs to be increased. It hurts my brain to read.
    Professional Pixel Pusher — Designing the world around you. | Working daily to reach 10,000 hours of practice.

Comment

It's a nice start; here are a few suggestions:

- like Ckret said, increase the leading (line spacing), especially on the back
      - it looks like you're using at least two different fonts on the front; I'd keep it to one. you can always use bold/italic to add variety
      - if it's not part of the logo, lose the drop shadow. If you can't alter it, so be it.

Comment

Ok......
        on the piece with the text running off the edge
        --Decent concept with better text positioning
        --Logo concept isn't bad, if it's your original idea!
        --To many fonts used in one piece IMO and the spacing/kerning needs a tweak

on the 2nd piece (BC)
        --Clean/Readable card
        --the logo seems to still be a little off a little, maybe its the size of the mixed fonts that is throwing it off
        --Overall.....not bad, but can use some work. Work better for the certain client/business

One more thing I noticed right off, is the graphic is pixellate unlike the type, so Im guessing you created the graphic in a Photoshop or type program, and imported into a layout program like inDesign...if so...check your output resolution

or.....you ripped off the graphic from Google images????

If you did the later....than its pretty bad...im not jumping to conclusions and not saying you did anything, but dont know much about your clientel or reason for using the globe, so have to look at it from every angle to give you my honest opinion

Good Luck!

Comment

I appreciate the feedback; however, I feel I need to clarify/defend some things.

1) I did not create the logo, just took it and used it on the biz card. I asked the logo creator for a higher res version that I will use in the final product. This is a mockup, so yes, the logo is pixellated, yet all I have.

2) My boss asked the logo designer to use a globe. I guess I should ask where she got it from?

3) I don't know the font she used in the actual logo. I used variations of Trade Gothic for all of the other words. Is it still too many different fonts, or are all of you simply referring to the difference between the logo font and the TG?

Comment

Also, I did the entire thing in GIMP, as I am a Linux user. I imported the logo from another file as a layer.

Comment

So, my longer response goes to moderation and the short posts immediately? Also, KeyKoncept, it's rather rude to jump to conclusions. Seriously. Have some respect and assume the best.

Comment

jigsawdust - for regulars in this forum, we frequently see ripped designs. There are usually some tell-tale signs of that - one of which being the pixelated icon with crisp rendered text.

Additionally the globe feels icon-y - meaning, it looks like an icon from an icon set you find on the web.

The other point is, why does your boss have you (the non-designer) creating business cards?

Generally, in this forum, when all of that comes together it seems suspect. It's not an accusation, but it's worth asking for clarification.

So don't take it personal and remember it says it's the heavy sweater forum.

As for the design, I don't love it but it's ok.
                I worry that the back of card text might be too tight/small once it gets down to print size.

Comment

I wore my heavy sweater and I'm fine with the criticism of design, but what he said was beyond that.

I am ops manager/web guy/marketing/advocate/whatever the hell he wants me to do. It's a small business, I wear many hats. The person I hired to design our website designed the logo. My boss asked me if I could make business cards now that we have a logo (since I enjoy design on the side), so I said SURE.

Simple as that. I appreciate the constructive criticism, but as for the ad hominem attacks (you could ask nicely where I got the image from)...bugger off.

Side note: I personally wrote the girl whom you guys seemed content with lambasting (the plumbing logo/text box). You all started somewhere and should be ashamed of yourself for being so annoyingly childish.

Comment

Something is not good about your logo in that it's appearing very fuzzy. Be very careful to ensure it does not look like that on your prints. GIMP is not an ideal program to create business cards in. But if it's all you got what can you do.

The leading on the back of the card is a real problem. It's far too close. I suggest putting a lot more space between the lines.

I'm not a huge fan of the cut off words the way they are right now. Maybe take a look at that. Also look at your fonts, too many of them.

It's not a bad card persay but could still use some work. Feel free to post a revised design so we can continue to see it evolve.

(as a sidenote the first few posts by all members are moderated to keep the spam to a minimum)
                    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

jigsaw - reread the above - there wasn't any attack. It was a question of clarification - and it may not have been asking nicely, but it certainly wasn't asking "un-nicely".

Comment

Originally posted by jigsawdust View Post
                        I wore my heavy sweater and I'm fine with the criticism of design, but what he said was beyond that.

I am ops manager/web guy/marketing/advocate/whatever the hell he wants me to do. It's a small business, I wear many hats. The person I hired to design our website designed the logo. My boss asked me if I could make business cards now that we have a logo (since I enjoy design on the side), so I said SURE.

Simple as that. I appreciate the constructive criticism, but as for the ad hominem attacks (you could ask nicely where I got the image from)...bugger off.

Side note: I personally wrote the girl whom you guys seemed content with lambasting (the plumbing logo/text box). You all started somewhere and should be ashamed of yourself for being so annoyingly childish.
                        Wow, take a valium please. There was no attack of any kind in any of the posts. We get critique requests for many pieces that are in fact ripped off, so it was a very valid question. As professional designers we do our best to educate others about copyright infringement.

As far as Ashley, maybe the thread did get out of hand. But we quickly lose patience for anyone who asks for a critique then gets pissed off at the comments received, all within an hour.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                        Working...
                        X