Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Thank you for your answer PrintDriver. Seems like I was misinformed. I'll probably have to buy another printer that can print on thicker card stock then. Do you have any suggestions as to what printer...
    Today, 11:30 PM
  • zablockit
    Reply to Please critique my new game design
    zablockit

Ok, skeuomorphic looks awesome!

What do you think now?

What would you improve?...
    Today, 09:11 PM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Font Management
    lowfatgraphics
    Thanks.

I was testing the Font Suitcase and seems to be screwing with my Chrome bowsers...after some googling--looks like its a known issue. FEX it is then.

Thanks Garricks....
    Today, 08:29 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on RIP: The Necrology Thread
    <b>
    As just a listener of music, his work with Cream, along with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker, have been among my most favorite pieces of music since I was just a kid. Somehow it always manages to surprise...
    Today, 07:25 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Created Logo in PS, question about file
    <b>
    I think a lot depends on what one's definition of a logo might be. Many beginners and amateurs tend to make logos that are really just small, complicated illustrations. Most professionals, on the other...
    Today, 06:47 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare these two plz

I am web/graphic manager of the newly designed hotel in NYC.
    http://www.veritehotel.com

and I needed to make a business card for them, so i just asked
    the local printer to design the bcard with 'Cinematic Verite and Modern' theme.

What they came up with was **removed**

And I thought it sucked so i redesigned

**EDIT** the one you're seeing is designed by the OP. Front and back. The one designed by the local printer has been removed because posting another designer's work for critique is not allowed **EDIT**

I showed both works to the owners of the hotel and
    they all liked the 1st one ( from the local printer ) better!!

What do you guys think?
    Am I missing something?

I was going to print the card (2nd one) on silk 16pt with rounded corners.
    Last edited by Yossarian; 04-27-2011, 08:39 PM. Reason: remove other designer's work

That logo is probably the thing that's blowing their skirts up.

Looking at the two together makes me think I'm looking at a front and back. And that may be what they are picking up on; that your design feels like the back of the card.

Yours is a great design; clean, simple, modern. But it's missing that focal point that a logo can provide, as in the 1st design. Maybe yours could include that logo, or a variation of it (enlarged and bleeding off the sides, possibly).

I think I would choose that 1st design also, and simply for that fact alone. Yours is not a bad design, however.

Comment

Bowie. Sorry for the confusion. One of our mods removed the other design since it violated forum rules, which don't allow for the critique of a design not done by the person posting it.

So, what you're seeing, and what we can comment on, is the front and back design that the OP designed.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Personally, I like the grey, simple one.

I'm not a fan the scrolly, poofy, luxury look that hotels always seem to embrace, but hey, I'm not a hotel owner. Also, if that's their logo, I can understand why they want to use it — despite it's scrolly, poofyness.

Maybe you can combine them somehow. Center the text on the grey one and drop in the logo above the type — maybe. Make an executive version of the card (just for the hotel management to use) where the logo is foil embossed, and they'll love it.

----------------

Edit: Okay, based on what Craig B said, never mind. I might suggest that the mods write an explanation for these things when they change something. I know they usually do, but in cases like this, it seems necessary.
        Last edited by <b>; 04-27-2011, 08:37 PM.

Comment

^^heheh right after I saw you're first post I was in the process of going back and making it more clear. I hadn't realized it was going to trick everybody!

Comment

For what it's worth I blame Yoss entirely.

N.A.N.K.A. "We Kick Because We Care."

Comment

Seconded!

Comment

I like the rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by wonsong82 View Post
                  I am web/graphic manager...and I needed to make a business card for them, so i just asked
                  the local printer to design the bcard with 'Cinematic Verite and Modern' theme...And I thought it sucked so i redesigned...I showed both works to the owners of the hotel and they all liked the 1st one ( from the local printer ) better!!
                  Firstly, if you are the graphic manager, why would you ask someone else to do your work? Secondly, if the client likes the printers card, maybe they both know something about design that you do not.

If I were the hotel owners, I'd hire the printers and say goodbye to you. Harsh, but true right?

I know the other design has been removed, but why did you post it anyway? Were you hoping for confirmation that one of them sucked more than the other? Does it matter what we think as long as the client is happy? No.
                  It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I am inclined to agree with you Buda.

I like the rooms.

Comment

lol. No one is critiquing the rooms Tea. Well, except you.
                      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I'd consider using the same serif font for the hotel name on the gray side of the card as you've used in combination with the logo. The sans text, minus the space in between, plus half the name bolded makes it look like 2 different cards.

Also, and you may have already planned on this, use a gray pantone color around the reversed out text. A screen of black will make it difficult to read. And like someone else mentioned a hint of the logo on the gray side, like enlarged and a slightly different shade might be nice.

Comment

Never show a deciding party a design you are not personally a fan of. That way there is never a chance of them picking it.

Just to comment on your design. It reminds me of hotel key cards. That may be exactly what you were going for, but that is just what it looks like to me. Especially the white side.

Like others have said, unify the typeface of the name and I think it will bring the sides together a little more.
                          Some people don't know that they don't know...and they don't know how to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by kennsington View Post
                            Never show a deciding party a design you are not personally a fan of. That way there is never a chance of them picking it.
                            For that matter, they'll almost always pick the ugly one.

Along similar lines, always leave something trivial on the best one not quite finished or with an obvious decision to be made. That way, you can ask the client something like, "Let's see, I couldn't decide whether to put hyphens or periods in your phone number. What do you think?" This gets them sidetracked onto an inconsequential bit of trivia while quenching their need to meddle with what you've done. Then, of course, whether they choose the hyphen or the period, always say, "Yes, that's perfect now. Great idea. Thanks!"

Comment

Originally posted by budafist View Post
                              lol. No one is critiquing the rooms Tea. Well, except you.
                              Go figure and nothing new there!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X