Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• John G
    Reply to Things that jerk my chain...
    John G
    "We aren't going to promote you just yet [maybe next year], because we have too many senior developers"... a few weeks later 2 people leave (non-senior title) and we aren't going to fill them...
    Today, 02:09 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to non native art cs3 ai
    Kayekaye
    Yeah, placed a photo outlined from photoshop into ai file. The ps pdf has the clipping path in it. So far it is proofing ok. Will see what happens. Would just a ps file that has been outlined with clipping...
    Today, 12:44 AM
  • tanjamamas
    Reply to Feedback?
    tanjamamas
    Okay. New direction. I love the "Design is not decoration" sentence.

Yesterday, 11:34 PM
  • UIDer
    Map Icons for mobile
    UIDer
    I'm creating "pin" icons for use on a mobile map. They are to depict a camera, video, text and audio in a simplistic manner as a family.

Two quick questions:

1) Do...
    Yesterday, 08:03 PM
  • TomMonTom
    Reply to Which font is this
    TomMonTom
    Nevermind, figured it out.
    Yesterday, 07:43 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typography Class Sketches (image heavy)

Hello! I'm looking for some feedback on sketches for a drink recipe project in my Typography class. Normally, I would get feedback from my peers, but I missed today's class, so I would really appreciate your time if you could help a student out and take a minute to look through all of these sketches.

All I need to know is:
    • Which one in each set do you prefer? (ie. 1A or 1B, 2A or 2B, etc.)
    • If you're feeling generous: Any simple critiques/comments/suggestions on composition/flow.

The lines in each image represent x-height for text. Darker lines=bolded text. The text will be a combination of the drink's name (The Classic Cuban Mojito), the recipe ingredients, and instructions. As you can see, I didn't start putting actual words in my sketches until #7, because as students we're supposed to be analyzing hierarchy and form when sketching.

Thank you so much in advance for your critiques! It's really appreciated, the more

What are these for in context? A magazine layout? An ad? What size/ orientation? 1b, 4a, 5a, 6a, 7b have appealing setups but until I know what it's supposed to be targeting it'll be hard to narrow that down further.

Comment

I agree; without context a critique of this kind is based upon assumption.

What parameters were you given with the problem? Were you assigned a certain amount of text, told to use that grid on that shape and size of paper?

If the page is part of a book full of drink recipes, for example, the page has to be viewed in the context of it being a component in a larger design and subordinate to that design. If, however, it's a stand-alone piece, the problem changes to being what works on that page and not how the page fits into a larger design. Similarly, if it's an ad, a poster or a web page, the problem changes, as does the appropriateness of one solution over another.

Comment

<b> <-- what he said.

For a magazine layout, I like the last design the best, but if it's for a cook book full of recipes, use a different layout.

Comment

I would start by drinking a mojito... or two... and then drawing inspiration from that. mmmminty-refreshingness...

but seriously, context would help
          Design is not decoration.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
          Working...
          X