No announcement yet.

Typography Class Sketches (image heavy)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typography Class Sketches (image heavy)

Hello! I'm looking for some feedback on sketches for a drink recipe project in my Typography class. Normally, I would get feedback from my peers, but I missed today's class, so I would really appreciate your time if you could help a student out and take a minute to look through all of these sketches.

All I need to know is:
    • Which one in each set do you prefer? (ie. 1A or 1B, 2A or 2B, etc.)
    • If you're feeling generous: Any simple critiques/comments/suggestions on composition/flow.

The lines in each image represent x-height for text. Darker lines=bolded text. The text will be a combination of the drink's name (The Classic Cuban Mojito), the recipe ingredients, and instructions. As you can see, I didn't start putting actual words in my sketches until #7, because as students we're supposed to be analyzing hierarchy and form when sketching.

Thank you so much in advance for your critiques! It's really appreciated, the more

What are these for in context? A magazine layout? An ad? What size/ orientation? 1b, 4a, 5a, 6a, 7b have appealing setups but until I know what it's supposed to be targeting it'll be hard to narrow that down further.

I agree; without context a critique of this kind is based upon assumption.

What parameters were you given with the problem? Were you assigned a certain amount of text, told to use that grid on that shape and size of paper?

If the page is part of a book full of drink recipes, for example, the page has to be viewed in the context of it being a component in a larger design and subordinate to that design. If, however, it's a stand-alone piece, the problem changes to being what works on that page and not how the page fits into a larger design. Similarly, if it's an ad, a poster or a web page, the problem changes, as does the appropriateness of one solution over another.

<b> <-- what he said.

For a magazine layout, I like the last design the best, but if it's for a cook book full of recipes, use a different layout.

I would start by drinking a mojito... or two... and then drawing inspiration from that. mmmminty-refreshingness...

but seriously, context would help
          Design is not decoration.

Latest Topics

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright 2013 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us