No announcement yet.

Typography Class Sketches (image heavy)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typography Class Sketches (image heavy)

Hello! I'm looking for some feedback on sketches for a drink recipe project in my Typography class. Normally, I would get feedback from my peers, but I missed today's class, so I would really appreciate your time if you could help a student out and take a minute to look through all of these sketches.

All I need to know is:
    • Which one in each set do you prefer? (ie. 1A or 1B, 2A or 2B, etc.)
    • If you're feeling generous: Any simple critiques/comments/suggestions on composition/flow.

The lines in each image represent x-height for text. Darker lines=bolded text. The text will be a combination of the drink's name (The Classic Cuban Mojito), the recipe ingredients, and instructions. As you can see, I didn't start putting actual words in my sketches until #7, because as students we're supposed to be analyzing hierarchy and form when sketching.

Thank you so much in advance for your critiques! It's really appreciated, the more

What are these for in context? A magazine layout? An ad? What size/ orientation? 1b, 4a, 5a, 6a, 7b have appealing setups but until I know what it's supposed to be targeting it'll be hard to narrow that down further.

Comment

I agree; without context a critique of this kind is based upon assumption.

What parameters were you given with the problem? Were you assigned a certain amount of text, told to use that grid on that shape and size of paper?

If the page is part of a book full of drink recipes, for example, the page has to be viewed in the context of it being a component in a larger design and subordinate to that design. If, however, it's a stand-alone piece, the problem changes to being what works on that page and not how the page fits into a larger design. Similarly, if it's an ad, a poster or a web page, the problem changes, as does the appropriateness of one solution over another.

Comment

<b> <-- what he said.

For a magazine layout, I like the last design the best, but if it's for a cook book full of recipes, use a different layout.

Comment

I would start by drinking a mojito... or two... and then drawing inspiration from that. mmmminty-refreshingness...

but seriously, context would help
          Design is not decoration.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PrintDriver
            Reply to Portfolio Question!
            PrintDriver
            If you are talking about a portfolio you have in a case and take with you to interviews where you will be doing a presentation of the work, a written blurb is not needed.

If you are talking...
            Today, 07:04 PM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to Souq White Friday Campaign
            PrintDriver
            I guess I'm sort of confused. If Friday is a day of religious observance, aren't you going to run into a little bit of pushback on this?

Are you targeting the traditional type of Christmas...
            Today, 06:58 PM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to question about powerpoint custom slide sizing
            PrintDriver
            Your ppi is dependent on your print method.
            Where are you going to get a 142cm (56") square image printed? And on what?
            What is your final output purpose? Fine art or a short term poster?...
            Today, 06:56 PM
          • PrintDriver
            Reply to Please critique my work
            PrintDriver
            As far as stock is concerned, what works and what doesn't is entirely up to the project at hand.
            Do I like any of these better than the others? Sure. But what gets used isn't up to what I like....
            Today, 06:51 PM
          • zurichluck
            Reply to question about powerpoint custom slide sizing
            zurichluck
            thanks KitchWitch, very much appreciate your help as always. yes i see!

i would like to ask another question, which is at least 5 times less stupid than the last one. i am (eventually) going...
            Today, 06:50 PM

Incredible Stock
          GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
          Working...
          X