Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• crdunsto
    Reply to Freelance Work/Volunteer Experience on Resume/Applications
    crdunsto
    Thanks for your feedback Print Driver. Let me clarify a few things you brought up in your post.

I am applying for admission to these schools. (This seemed like the most appropriate sub forum)...
    Today, 03:55 PM
  • kemingMatters
    Reply to Freelance Work/Volunteer Experience on Resume/Applications
    kemingMatters
    In most cases, freelance work won't be considered as industry experience, especially when you have no other related professional experience or education.

That being said, listing each job...
    Today, 03:51 PM
  • HotButton
    Reply to logo lettering new york
    HotButton
    Yeah sorry, but I'd also call this a full miss. The pointed ends don't improve the uninteresting font. The face and crown suggest the Statue of Liberty, but really don't look anything like it.
    Today, 03:42 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to Are you interested in selling your company?
    Cosmo
    Where were you in 2010 when I sold my company?

Seriously though, I do know of a company here that is more than likely going to be selling out soon. Other side of the country though. If that...
    Today, 03:18 PM
  • MaNL
    Reply to logo lettering new york
    MaNL
    In my eyes that doesn't work at all. You shouldn't torture typeface in this kind of way. What is the reasoning in sharping ends of the letters?
    Also, raised hand like this doesnt resemble statue...
    Today, 03:09 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design for Travel Brochure Cover

Hey Folks,

I'm new here. I work for a non-profit tourism organization out of Pike County Kentucky. We're doing a new brochure and I was wondering if you would provide me some feedback on what I've been working on. I've done several mockups, please let me know what you like and don't like, and what I should try to do.

I normally am self conscious about critiques, but I need the help. I appreciate you all!

Welcome to the forum Cameron. I hope you'll find it useful and fun here.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes.
    ___

I understand what you're trying to do, that you need to promote all the different things there are to do in Pike County. It's quite cluttered though. I'd LOVE to see that gorgeous river photo unadorned on the front, with just the Pike County inset, the orange strip at the bottom, and the "beauty abides" tag line, although I'm not sure where to suggest you place that.

Then move the other photos to the inside, to help break up the copy.

I've been up near that area, but in West Virginia. Love it!
    Last edited by garricks; 01-06-2012, 11:17 PM.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Personally, I think there's too much stuff going on. Do you really need a photo of everything that's happening in Pike County? I would probably pick just one photo (the background is nice), then leave the other things for the inside.

Comment

There you go, <b>, being all succinct while I edited down my novella.
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I'm of the same thought process too, but I'm not sure if my boss would agree. Would the photo alone distinguish itself amongst all the other brochures on the rack, and would it interest people enough to pick it up you think?

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

I hear what the others are saying about only showing the tranquil lake photo... but presumably you're trying to attract all sorts of people - those who like the peace and quiet of the great outdoors, and those (perhaps families with kidz) who are looking for more adventure. I say use all the images - as you have done.

1 is too busy by far.
            2 is ok, I'm liking the font used on the inset pics, but not the jaunty angle
            3 is better than 2 - use the font from 2
            4 (see 2)
            5 and 6 I like - but on 6, the montage needs a little work, especially where you've blended the singers (bottom right).

But that's just me. Nice work though.
            Want to know what a true friend is? One who walks in when the world walks out.

Comment

Sorry Garricks. At least we're thinking along the same lines.

Originally posted by cameron77 View Post
              Would the photo alone distinguish itself amongst all the other brochures on the rack, and would it interest people enough to pick it up you think?
              What stands out more and delivers the clearest message, a single, clear voice in an auditorium or a room filled with 50 chattering people?

A simple, concise and focused presentation always distinguishes itself from the others. Whatever photo, photos or graphics you chose, keep the cover and its message simple, powerful and focused. It might sound counter-intuitive to your boss, but it will draw more attention to itself and be more effective than a shotgun approach.

Comment

Originally posted by <b> View Post
                Sorry Garricks. At least we're thinking along the same lines.
                I appreciate your clarity of thought.

Cameron, I agree with the others, just give it a try and see if it doesn't get much stronger.

And being that this is going in a rack, you'll want to keep that tag line above the halfway point so it shows no matter what type of rack it goes in.

Comment

I know what you're saying <b>. I'm wondering if the lack of people in the photo hurts it at all? My board members are big on "smiling faces".

Also, do you think our banners should be identical to our brochure cover? You know, the banners that are displayed at conventions and festivals.

doctorfoz, I'm interested in your comment about 6, could you provide some ideas on what needs to be done to make it look better?

Comment

I'm not saying to rely on the river background image alone to carry the weight or, for that matter, any of the weight. As doctorfoz pointed out, it's an awfully tranquil, passive and, possibly, boring photo (but still pretty). And yes, faces attract attention. It's a natural human response to look at a face that appears to be looking at you. This is why so many magazine covers use large faces on their covers. However, 20 faces, along with their torsos, on the cover won't be nearly as powerful or attention-getting as one face. If you go with a face, a face can be very good.

Whatever the main message is, just keep it simple both visually and verbally. Standing out on racks full of other trifolds will involve doing the opposite of what all the other brochure covers are doing. And if things in Pike County are like they are most everywhere else, those racks will be packed with clutter, so make yours simple, strong, clear and focused.

As for an identical banner, no, I don't think you should have a banner that looks like a giant brochure. Still, it probably ought to match in a way that might jog the memory of someone who's already seen one or the other. Same graphics, same photos, same type, same general look, but customized for the banner. There's synergy in making different components in a campaign match, but they shouldn't be identical.

Comment

Originally posted by cameron77 View Post
                      I know what you're saying <b>. I'm wondering if the lack of people in the photo hurts it at all? My board members are big on "smiling faces".

Also, do you think our banners should be identical to our brochure cover? You know, the banners that are displayed at conventions and festivals.

doctorfoz, I'm interested in your comment about 6, could you provide some ideas on what needs to be done to make it look better?
                      They are busy, and yes one or two photo's would probably work better, I'm going to guess that politics has more play in the decision to include everything but the local waffle shop. I deal with a number of tourism associations almost daily for a couple different travel publications. It can almost be like asking a parent to chose their favourite child (non-profit selecting its favourite sponsoring attraction) when it comes to imagery on anything.
                      Last edited by kemingMatters; 01-07-2012, 12:34 AM.
                      Design is not decoration.

Comment

What do you guys think I should do next?

Should I look for two photos of our MAIN MAIN attractions (I'm afraid Patty and Dwight may be required, even though we technically don't offer any attractions associated to either of them).

If I select two photos, should I include the scenic photo as a backdrop for them?

If I choose two photos, I could do them like two photographs over the background, OR two boxes at the bottom, OR a blended collage style. Any ideas on anything else I should try. Thank you again for your help.

Comment

I would base your selections on images that will work well together (think perspective angles, colour). How you approach the layout, whether it be a collage or what have you, will really depend on how the images work together; can you create direction/harmony/energy/balance/etc with the images? will they blend together naturally? A night shot and a day shot probably won't blend into a collage well, (not always true) things like this can also aid you in making a this decision.

Regarding picking image content: If you want to show some diversity, I would suggest selecting images that showcase opposite ends of the spectrum of attractions (for example outdoor adventures and heritage & culture). However if there is something that is paramount to Pike County tourism, one of your images, or at least the content of it may be predetermined.
                          Design is not decoration.

Comment

I think the colours are working well. Perhaps framing some of the photographs with your chosen colour palette. Like everyone else has said, there are a variety of ways to exhibit images.

Comment

No 1. Fortunate mistake. Hat look like lady boob.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X