X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent graduate, fire away.

Hello everyone. I've been a long time lurker and occasional poster. I've recently uploaded my work to Behance. I'd appreciate any and all feedback. I graduated last May but I have yet to even land an interview. My professors/peers all seem to enjoy my work; but I don't know how honest they are.

http://be.net/jShunk/frame
    "I can't find the roman numerals in the Glyphs palette." - Classmate
    The statement that made Typography class an instant classic.

Well, I like your work too, but a lot of it is pieced together from other sources, like scanned magazine pages, etc. As much of an eye as it seems you have for design, your work on Behance hasn't really gotten past the student stage of experimentation and basic composition.

I review lots of portfolios and to be honest, your work looks promising, but still underdeveloped in the sense that it isn't obvious whether or not you could transition from a student environment to a full-blown professional situation doing real work for real clients. When I hire someone, even a novice, I'm really not looking for someone who has potential when there are other applicants whose work demonstrates more professional maturity.

If you had more pieces like your Grate Steak menu and logo it might help you. Much of your work is more fine artsy than commercial or, maybe, more centered around your compositional and artistic visions than about satisfying the commercial needs of a client. If I were you, I'd possibly concentrate on using your talents to tackle some realistic projects, like the menu or like a real brochure or a real magazine ad. They don't have to be from actual clients, but make them real in the sense of them being real ads or brochures that you might see in actual use somewhere.

Graphic design doesn't end with being able to create interesting compositions and nicely composed typography or visual imagery. Graphic design actually only begins after having mastered those skills so that you can use them as tools to create things for clients whose main concern is, more often than not, making money. Demonstrate in your work the ability to think beyond a student mindset where you're no longer practicing but playing professionally.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I have a few more commercial style pieces that I collaborated with fellow students. I'll work on getting more of that style into my portfolio.
      "I can't find the roman numerals in the Glyphs palette." - Classmate
      The statement that made Typography class an instant classic.

Comment

Agree with <b>.

7 pieces is good BUT if that is your best work, you need to improve it. Student work should be included, not a rule, but it doesn't look as good. Some of the pieces didn't have a 'point' like the abstract self portrait. What is the point of it to an employer? demonstrating photoshop proficiency? creative mindset?

I am a student myself, in my third year. I am in the process or designing a new portfolio site and realise that my student work is noticeably 'student work'. When I graduate, I want to have a well designed portfolio, but just well designed pieces. IT should convey such and such to a portential employer (professional maturity as <b> said).

Another way to improve presentation is to take good photos of work, possibly in context. The menu on a restaurant table with the branding visible in the background will convey immediately that it's a design that was implemented in the real world. The steak menu is nicely presented. An inclusion of a closeup photo of the paper can show material, finish and design work in more detail.

Comment

Your works aren't bad, but I feel that a lot of them are still at that student level.

Try taking a look at everyday normal things, see how they are arranged, look at the market, take inspiration from everyone else. Then attempt to set yourself apart from them. You don't want to be at a certain level, you want to be beyond it.

Try a lot of things, display your best and worst works, show your strengths and weaknesses. Even if you don't feel something is up to your standards, someone will be drooling over it because it "fits" what they're needing.

Try showcasing a varied set of skills, create a business logo, create a dozen, show that you can be innovative, and not only follow guidelines, but highly exceed them.

In a technical since, your works are very good, but there is no personal feeling to them to me, it doesn't seem like something that just wows me.

If I had your resume and portfolio on my desk, and you were asking me for a job, I'd honestly ask for more. I don't just want to see a select set of works, as I said before, show me everything, show me your improvements and your abilities. Show me how well you can integrate your ideas and yet still rocket above.

Comment

I think showing more commercial work would really showcase your ability to think critically and come up with smart solutions.
            Last edited by mad9; 02-10-2012, 07:10 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

I thought the Steak Menu was weak. Brushed metal background is hard to read, and the fonts are small for how much free space is available. It's not going to impress many clients.

Overall agreed that this site looks like exactly what it is: an arts student who just graduated. I'd drop the abstract pieces and work on adding some jobs in whatever specific field you're trying to get hired in.

Comment

Originally posted by VDM View Post
                I thought the Steak Menu was weak. Brushed metal background is hard to read, and the fonts are small for how much free space is available. It's not going to impress many clients.
                Hmmm, that's an interesting perspective. I actually quite liked the menu and find the metal look interesting. I might have used a metallic texture that looked more like something that's been in a fire or grill, though.

Good point about the type size. When most people hit somewhere in their 40s, their ability to read less than, say, 10-point type without reading glasses takes a sudden nose dive. On the other hand, if the size of the menu itself is larger than usual, and the type is large enough to be easily read, the spaciousness of the layout can convey a sense of elegance that might (or might not) be appropriate for the restaurant.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                Working...
                X