Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PanToshi
    Reply to Need advice for creating a label
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF Magab

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 08:59 PM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to Hello. sFear here! :D
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF sFear

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 08:58 PM
  • rtk3tt
    Reply to Avoid borders when printing?
    rtk3tt
    When working with out bleeds I try to incorporate the margin into the artwork. I do my best to make the margin an element of the design so it looks like the margin was intentional. Sometimes I will leave...
    Today, 08:29 PM
  • rtk3tt
    Reply to Logo feedback needed
    rtk3tt
    I think creating some more movement in the design could also help. It should feel more like an event than a company logo imo.
    Today, 08:18 PM
  • rtk3tt
    Reply to Christmas cards
    rtk3tt
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but it is so closely related, that I didn't think I should create a new thread either. I need some Christmas outdoor scene photos and not loving what I see on shutterstock...
    Today, 08:14 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Critique

I've been working on my logo and I wasn't sure I wanted to post it but I feel stuck so I thought maybe some help was in order. This is my personal logo. Some of you may remember the last one, a bit messy and tight. If you haven't or don't remember, my brief is that I create templates (albums (mostly), cards, accordion albums, marketing) for portrait photographers. I have a unique style and my templates are definitely not for everyone. I wanted to reflect this with my logo. Also this reflects me (I have a unique style and I'm not for everyone, haha).

Here's a little bit about it: I created the first typeface freehand in Illustrator. It is actually based on some of my tattoos but a cleaner version. I want it to have the handwritten look but worry the letters aren't consistent enough or maybe not enough. The next two words are the same font. I originally had it upper and lower case but was told that this looked like three different fonts which I don't want because three fonts=messy. Also, I saw the logo in action and the first typeface didn't appear strong enough to me so I added the stroke to bulk it up in the second version. I decided to add the first version to show because adding the stroke changed some of the curves and whatnot and thought that maybe I'm just staring at it too much and I can't tell which version is better. I even stared at it as small as it could go to make sure that it wasn't lost. Some of the nuances of the thick and thin lines were lost but you could still see the swirls. I won't be adding color. This is a strictly black and white logo.

Anyway, I would like to know your opinions about it. (Please don't tell me you hate it. I spent forever sketching, yes pencil and paper which felt weird since I haven't used a pencil (or pen) in a long time. It's hard defining oneself. Although I guess if you do hate it, I would like to know and that's why I'm posting. I'm just hoping you don't.) (I should mention that it's always late and I'm always tired when working on this and I tend to make mistakes and not see too clearly when I do this. Unfortunately that is my only option at the moment.) Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MadAmanda; 02-15-2012, 05:36 AM.

Hey, Amanda! Welcome to the GDF.

I like how Mandy is looking overall. I think the shapes that are repeated are nice - the teardrop of the a and d, and I would like the reflection of the shape of the n in the y, but the n might be just a little too pointed - it reads more as a cursive r to me than an n.

The loop in the y keeps drawing my eye - I think it might be a little too squarish. Have you tried making it rounder like the swoosh of the M, or even similar to the a? Might be worth a try.

I'm not a fan of the font you are using for ANDY DESIGNS. Or, it might just be the difference in size. I prefer the second version - I'm also not a fan of lowercasing words (like design) that seem like they should be capitalized. I say try making ANDY the same size as DESIGNS.

Looking good, keep going!
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

If you feel it's not working you have to disasscoiate yourself from the logo, and look at it that way. It's easier to see if anything is wrong and will stop you going insane.

You want it to read Mandy Andy Designs. It reads more Andy Designs with a big Mandy over the top. So have Mandy Andy look the same and 'Designs' in a different font.

Actually, it's hard to tell if it's a two people or one person operation. If two, do Mandy and Andy have differing styles hence the different type, then why is Andy the same as designs? It could also make you look disjointed - don't they get on? So make it known just from the logo about the personality of the business as a whole, esp if you're going for a unique style. At the moment it's confusing. It feels like you put a lot of effort into Mandy and not a lot into the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Roth View Post
        If you feel it's not working you have to disasscoiate yourself from the logo, and look at it that way. It's easier to see if anything is wrong and will stop you going insane.

You want it to read M a n d y A. n- d. yD e s i g n s. It reads more A n d .y Designs with a big Mandy over the top. So have M a n d y A n d y look the same and 'Designs' in a different font.
        ^ Agreed. (I added spaces/junk to your biz name to keep from typing the complete name to "hide" from the goog)

I like the Mandy. It's interesting and personal. I like the thinner version better, a bit more elegant IMO.

I don't like the a.-n-d.-y designs for the same reasons as Roth already mentioned. Looks like an afterthought and it doesn't read the way I think you want it to.

However, I think making a .n d-y the same sized hand-styled font as m. a-n d y would be too much. Maybe if the hand-styled font was both words worked into a single design element. I like how you have incorporated hints of tattoo art influence without it looking too much like a tattoo. Given your primary target market, I think they will respond positively to the wispy leaf scrolls and the hand-styled script type.

I think it has legs, but needs some work. I applaud your having started with sketches. I'm going to hazard a guess that you sketched the m a. n-d-y part a lot, but not so much the rest of your design.

I would recommend sketching a second stage exploratory, but this time starting with your m.a.n. dy element, adding in a-n dy and exploring design configurations of the two.

Looking forward to your revised renditions.
        Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Thanks guys. I could tell it wasn't exactly working but couldn't figure out why. I tried disassociating myself from but really have just spent many nights just staring at it, in my tired state. This was one of the last sketches I did after getting all the junk out. I did not sketch the A-ndy out like this too because I thought it would be too busy. I did spend a lot of time on the rest going through all of my own fonts and then looking through pages of new fonts and upper and lower and title case and positions. I thought it complimented and was plain but I guess it's too plain?

The M and A are a play on my first and last names to have a sort of Internet persona (ironically I don't like to be called Mandy) and felt that Mandy was the most important word. But new clients won't know that.

PanToshi: I'm not sure what you mean by Hand drawn words in the single design element. Maybe I'm just tired but I just can't picture what you mean.

Comment

The 'n' in Mandy reads like an 'r' to me, and the 'y' keeps reminding me of a fancy 4, even though I know it should read 'Mandy.' Even though the Andy and Designs are the same font, the difference in size makes it seem disjointed to me. That may be why it can appear to be three different fonts.

To me, the rhyming, sing-song quality of 'Mandy Andy' suggests cutesy. It does not suggest any relation to photography to me, either. Though if you wanted to keep it open (not limit to photography), great. It still makes me think of crafty, cute stuff with the more fluid top font and the sing-song name. That may be what you're going for. If so, awesome.

Kudos on drawing the Mandy letters yourself.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Generally a really good start. The script of Mandy looks individual and considered. A couple of bits could be tweaked a bit, particularly the loop of the d in the thicker version - it needs to be a bit bigger.

I would also like to see Andy done in a similar style to Mandy, with some sort of interaction between the y of Mandy and the A of Andy. You could do this with a simple pair of replicated flourishes to tie them together.

Comment

Technically I'm not limited to just photographers. Anyone with photoshop can buy a template. Unfortunately pricing is why I aim for photogs because they use then over and over and sell the finished products. A lay person will likely use it once and then have to buy the finished product on top of the template.

The name is cutesy but I was also going for memorable and it's based on my real name. Most designers just use their name but mine was a mouthful with the same sounds repeated throughout.

I was worried doing the M and A the same would be too busy but that seems to be what everyone thinks so I will be working on figuring that out. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAmanda View Post
                  PanToshi: I'm not sure what you mean by Hand drawn words in the single design element. Maybe I'm just tired but I just can't picture what you mean.
                  Sorry, I think Paj worded the same thought much better than I did.
                  Originally posted by Paj View Post
                  I would also like to see Andy done in a similar style to Mandy, with some sort of interaction between the y of Mandy and the A of Andy. You could do this with a simple pair of replicated flourishes to tie them together.
                  I also meant tie them together in some way... don't just make Andy in the same size/style and put it next to Mandy.
                  Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Thanks PanToshi. When I read Paj's reply I figured this is what you must've meant. I understand better now.

Comment

This was one of the last sketches I did after getting all the junk out.
                      QFT! One of the reasons for sketching and more sketching is to dig through and get all the junk out to discover the jewel.

Comment

Here is an update to my logo. I'm having trouble with the word designs. In the second it feels like an afterthought. In the first, it looks a little squished. I'm worried it's too busy now with the andy being also fancy but I think it is less disconnected now. I don't like designs at the end because it is just too long. I like #1 better of the two but think the y's flow better in the second. I've spent a ton of time on this but feel it's time for objectivity.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The name looks like fancy calligraphy, but the 'designs' looks like a typed in afterthought. I would find a non-script handwritten font to match the name.

Comment

Originally posted by VDM View Post
                            The name looks like fancy calligraphy, but the 'designs' looks like a typed in afterthought. I would find a non-script handwritten font to match the name.
                            Would this be too much though? I was worried it would be too busy with the first two words being the same. I'm thinking maybe the same typeface for designs just without all the extras? (I haven't tried that because I created the first typeface but only those letters so far. Was thinking of turning it into a font to use for other marketing materials but need to create the other letters first.)

Comment

Would this be too much though? I was worried it would be too busy with the first two words being the same. I'm thinking maybe the same typeface for designs just without all the extras? (I haven't tried that because I created the first typeface but only those letters so far. Was thinking of turning it into a font to use for other marketing materials but need to create the other letters first.)
                              Well on the top version you posted, it looks like a guy in camoflauge trying to hide against a brick wall. The two font styles don't mix well. You definitely don't want the 'designs' part to get too fancy or scripty, but something less formal than that standard serif would be better.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                              Working...
                              X