Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need second opinions on logo

Hi!

I'm new to this forum and it seem like it have nice, active and helpful members.

I'm currently working on making my own personal logo. Not to easy btw. :P

I made it down to 2 pieces i liked, but i have difficulties to choose which one to use/develope further.

I'm a developing graphic designer and the logo is based on my initials, IM. I've aimed for a clean and simple look. The colour scheme is kind of random. Did pick some i like, but haven't thought i through yet, so that may change.

If anyone have something useful to say, I'm ready to listen to good advice.
    Attached Files

first off ill be the first to say (before others beat me to it) have you tried it in black & white? others will back me up if it doesn't work in black and white (not gray scale) then it wont work at all.

the concepts look good. I personally like the second top one. fourth one doewn the A looks off and random. kind of throws the whole thing off imo. I think if you fixed the italicized A then it could help bring some balance to the whole design.

I understand what your trying to do with the first three in your first column, but the "i" gets lost. maybe try adding a little something more to bring that "i" out a little more.

Comment

The use of the negative space to create the "i" is pretty clever, however it did take me a second to see it. It wasn't immediately apparent which could hinder it a bit. Otherwise, the other one (with the obvious "i") seems to follow the trend I've seen come from several different designers. Nothing to ground breaking, but it works.

Your text, however, definitely needs some attention. Using the Æ instead of the individual letters A E is really messing with the spacing. Look at the space between the letters of each line. it's really inconsistent, and that really throws things off, as there is NO space between the letters now.

As you haven't decided on your colour scheme yet, I'm not going to comment on it, as it's not really a factor until you start to decide. But present it on a solid background, instead of a gradient, when you focus on it.

Have you considered using your initials to act more as a word, instead of just the letters? They create the abbreviated form of I Am, which could really work for WHO you are and WHAT you do. (example: I'M DESIGN). Using your initials to personify your work could really create some interesting opportunities for future advertising and branding.
      Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
      | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
      | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

First I'm going to assume the Æ effects the pronunciation of the OP's surname, (like an accent on a letter) seeing the OP is from Norway, so that isn't an issue.

I prefer the second option, but the tittle and the way the M lines up to it creates a bit too much tension. Justifying the word "Design" with your last name isn't working, because your first name isn't. It also draws attention to the poor kerning of the word "DE S I GN"
        Last edited by kemingMatters; 03-07-2012, 07:35 PM.
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

Ill se if I can post an example in black and white too.

Ill have to explain the different A in my second name. In english i could've written it Maeland, but in my naitive language its Mæland, and thats what I've done in here. I'm from Norway and we have 3 additionals letter in the norwegian alphabeth. Æ, Ø and Å. To none scandinavien it's probably an "exotic" and unfamiliar letter. . Its difficult to change it alot, but I'll se if I can do something with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lita View Post
            Ill se if I can post an example in black and white too.

Ill have to explain the different A in my second name. In english i could've written it Maeland, but in my naitive language its Mæland, and thats what I've done in here. I'm from Norway and we have 3 additionals letter in the norwegian alphabeth. Æ, Ø and Å. To none scandinavien it's probably an "exotic" and unfamiliar letter. . Its difficult to change it alot, but I'll se if I can do something with it.
            Thanks for the better explanation, I believe the confusion is because it resembles a ligature, which is why I assimilated it with an accented letter.

Comment

If the proper spelling is Mæland, you should leave it as is. It is your point of difference and when people meet you, they may suddenly "get" it.

I prefer the monogram in column 2. The negative space in column 1 isn't strong enough to read the i.

You'll need to fix the kerning in DESIGN, but apart from that, it's pretty good.
              It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Ah, now it makes sense....the Norway didn't quite click with me for some reason hahaha.

Ok, then forget that I mentioned that.

As the others have said (and as I mentioned in my first post) work on the kerning between your letters, and you'll have something.
                Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
                | Karl Marx |

A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.
                | Guy Fawkes |

| flickr |

Comment

Forgot to mention, the second column with the text on the left is the strongest IMO...

OFF TOPIC: IREN MÆLAND ... IRON MAIDEN... this gets 11 thumbs up, sadly the 12th was missing...

Comment

Version 2 is sharp and effective. That green is kind of pea-soup sickly to me, I'd prefer an olive or laurel green color.

Comment

I see now that you explained it. it makes more sense to me. I'm sure though that there is a way that that you can maybe change the font, or something that will make that more apparent, so others won't mistake it for a mess up or anything.

Comment

Here is BW examples.

Im going to adress the kerning issue later.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The aesc (æ or Æ) was at one time a letter in English and is still used as a ligature from time to time. I wouldn't pay any mind to it except to fix up the kerning overall.
                          I wanted to name our kids with names containing things like an aesc or some other special character.
                          Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

I've thought of using the I'm Design, but I've desided to postpone the idea till I know more about what clients im going for in the future. In Norway I'n not sure it will work well with all people.

Have to say I love peasoup, but not the smell, after

I can probably fix the Æ a little, straighten it up abit so it wont stand out so much.

Comment

I like the 'foreign' Æ actually. And for clients in Norway I doubt they'll see it as anything strange, since, well, it's part of the language.

For clients here in America, I think it's a point of interest, and makes you take a second look (especially if you're not familiar with the letter), then the person may start to actively think about you, which as far as I know, is a good thing.
                              ♪ Butterfly in the sky,
                              I can go twice as high.
                              Take a look,
                              It's in a book,
                              A Reading Rainbow ♫

Reading Rainbow...

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X