Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• captain spanky
    Reply to Stickers
    captain spanky
    As far as sticker printers go... i can fully recommend http://stickerobot.com ...cheap and the quality is by far the best i've had. Some stickers i did nearly 8 years ago are still stuck out and about...
    Today, 09:22 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to Business Logo Design
    damonharris
    Logo represent you and your business. If it's presentable enough, that means you are credible too in giving services to the clients or customers. That's why it's very important in any business because...
    Today, 06:12 AM
  • damonharris
    Reply to creative business cards
    damonharris
    Choose a design that is creative and effective enough to boost your business and will get the interest of your potential customers. That's what I'm always telling my friends who are in the business. And...
    Today, 06:03 AM
  • Yehoshua
    Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    I've been exploring more with minimalism, but still trying to keep things logical. This is a 11x17 cover for a recent undergrad project I've been working on. Does it work? Why or why not? The blue wacked...
    Today, 04:22 AM
  • vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• critique for my streetwear label

Hello everybody, Im in the process of starting my own streetwear company and would appreciate some feedback on the logo I came up with. My wife think's it's missing something (shes a graphic designer) and I'm coming to a realization of changing it to something that has more impact I guess. Unfortunately I cant upload an image right now but it's on my website if you want to take a look. Thanks!

www.BewareTheIdes.com

P.S. It's the "I" with a crown on top.

Welcome aboard Ides of March! (A couple weeks late aren't we? )

We ask all new members to have a read through these important threads with our rules and FAQs and such.

Did you design this logo?

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
      Welcome aboard Ides of March! (A couple weeks late aren't we? )

We ask all new members to have a read through these important threads with our rules and FAQs and such.

Did you design this logo?
      Better late than never

Hey there, yes I did take a quick look at the rules when I joined. Yes I did design it myself.

Comment

It's not bad. Nice and clean. I'd like to see it with some text as well.

One question though... why is it so big on the web site? I'm on a 21" monitor at 1920x1080 and I have to scroll to see the bottom of the logo.
        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Logo looks fine. I'm wondering how you're planning to start a business and accept credit cards without the help of those evil corporate bankers.

Comment

for me its a little odd that you have to scroll down before you see any content, on my monitor I can't even see the bottom of the I, looks like a T with a crown. Its pretty much an oversized logo in the header with a very basic blog template. Its nice, clean and simple though. If you want to have it where the logo appears first and you have to scroll to content, I'd at least scale it down some so the majority of people can see the entire logo without the bottom cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by vectorzomby View Post
              for me its a little odd that you have to scroll down before you see any content, on my monitor I can't even see the bottom of the I, looks like a T with a crown. Its pretty much an oversized logo in the header with a very basic blog template. Its nice, clean and simple though. If you want to have it where the logo appears first and you have to scroll to content, I'd at least scale it down some so the majority of people can see the entire logo without the bottom cut off.
              I totally agree on the size, I dunno what I was thinking. Im glad to see the logo is getting some props, my wife just has me second guessing my work. I understand there's always room for improvement, I just cant quite find what needs to be improved because I like it just the way it is. I like the simplicity of it and it has meaning to me. Im just wondering if it translates well to potential buyers of my clothing. My brand's philosophy is about self empowerment and freedom to express oneself. Like the assassination of Caesar, my brand is about assassination the oppressors in your life (figuratively) and taking back the power for yourself. So the I with the crown isnt just "I" for "Ides of March", its about "I" as in the first person, and the crown represents power and being the best.

Comment

Originally posted by VDM View Post
                Logo looks fine. I'm wondering how you're planning to start a business and accept credit cards without the help of those evil corporate bankers.
                How indeed. I guess its a necessary evil at this point.

Comment

Graphically I see nothing to object to. But in conjunction with the name, the imagery sends a bit of a mixed message, yes? The guy with the crown (corona civica, in Big Julie's instance) wasn't well pleased with the events of the Ides, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Meffy View Post
                    Graphically I see nothing to object to. But in conjunction with the name, the imagery sends a bit of a mixed message, yes? The guy with the crown (corona civica, in Big Julie's instance) wasn't well pleased with the events of the Ides, after all.
                    Right, Im sure he wasnt. I totally get what your saying but Im merely using the event as a reference point to the overall message of the brand which is freeing yourself from your own dictators. Sure, one could go into the politics of the event and how many of the people liked JC, but Im not really focusing on the history. At the end of that day, some senators felt Caesar was gaining too much power and took it upon themselves to ensure he wasn't going to abuse it. since then, an otherwise ordinary day of the month turned into a day recognized for conspiracy, caution, and rebellion.

Comment

Most likely nobody else will "get" what seems to me an incongruity.

Comment

I like the simplicity of the logo. From a screen printing production standpoint, it is simple and will reproduce well at small size as a locker tag, above the cuff or above the hem tag branding on a garment. May need some addition simple text or refinement to flesh it out but a good start nonetheless. Maybe add your web address underneath.

That being said, the general buying public is not going to know the connection of the logo to Ceasar unless you also accompany your garments with a hang tag or card/decal giveaway describing the story or a link to your website. On the other hand, some buyers won't care as long as the graphics are cool.

Keep in mind your original mission statement and logo meaning may end up contradicting your whole business plan as stated on your website. Say the orders start pouring in for your "vision" and production has to be amped up to fulfill those orders. You very well may be standing in the lobby of those very same "evil" corporate banks, waiting for the next loan officer to approve an extended line of credit to meet your production, employment salaries, contract printing invoices and shipping goals.

The three guys that humbly began screen printing their "No Fear" anti-establishment brand in their garage two decades ago never imagined it would grow into a multimillion dollar industry employing thousands and became a far reaching catch phrase for the better part of the past 20 years.

Just pointing out the realities and potential of such noble beginnings. Some remain entrenched within the parameters of the creators intentions - underground yet popular but with a very thin line that divides the brand from "for the people" to pure capitalism. Best of luck.

Comment

There are banks and then there are banks.
                          If you want to stick to your 'evil corporate entities' party line, you can do a number of things to avoid evil corporate banks; ie banks that took bailout money, banks that don't have owners in this country, banks that buy other banks, etc etc. There are still small local banks and credit unions that avoided all that fallout.

As to the logo and Caesar and the Ides of March...
                          You have your metaphors mixed.
                          Caesar was not a king who was toppled. The people who did topple him feared he was returning the Emperorship. Bear in mind that after the fall of Caesar, Rome's government devolved into that very emperorship they were trying to avoid, and several Emperors later, well, we've all heard of the Fall of Rome.......not exactly something I would hope for here......

The logo is simple and not much to call it a brand. For some reason I know have a dancing Yul Brenner picture in my mind cuz it says, "King and I".
                          <shrug>
                          Is it strong enough to be a logo for Street Clothing? Dunno. What exactly IS street clothing?
                          Last edited by PrintDriver; 04-01-2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
                            For some reason I know have a dancing Yul Brenner picture in my mind cuz it says, "King and I".
                            [...] What exactly IS street clothing?
                            It is a puzzlement.

Comment

"Is a Puzzlement."
                              I've worked that show too many times.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X