Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Buda
    Reply to Candy Shop Logo
    Buda
    It's a good start. I like the middle one how it has highlights in the text, but I think the drop shapes are way too big. Have you considered working with candy stripes?
    Today, 12:23 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to How to do this?
    Buda
    Yes.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Personally, I would do this in Photoshop so that I had more control of the final colour. Photographing colours can result in differences...
    Today, 12:22 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Hello from Nordic
    Buda
    Hi Mikko and welcome to GDF.

We ask every new member to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this thread to get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They will explain how the...
    Today, 12:20 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zazzle, CafePress, Etsy, OH MY!
    Buda
    I've never used Zazzle or CafePress, but I've bought a few things on Etsy.

If your CafePress store is doing well, why not sell your Zazzle items on CafePress and see how you go? It might...
    Today, 12:17 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Save Your Work! Poster - critique needed
    Buda
    I think simple is important. A texture will help and maybe thickening up the font?
    Today, 12:13 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recent design for fun

I am a self taught designer so flame on!. I'm trying to get better. Here's some old work.

You really need to work on kerning.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

All done in Photoshop?

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
        You really need to work on kerning.
        what is kerning?

and yes... all in PS

Comment

nm... I looked it up. lol

I know... I was looking at these last night thinking the same thing. its a little crunched

Comment

Lol it's always kerning (but so true).

Also work on hierarchy.

The first one especially, is hard to read.

It's pretty obviously done in photoshop, there is only one that isnt.

I counted at least 9 type variations in the second piece. That makes it look messy (actually thought there were too many typefaces, but only 2-3 excluding logo).

Comment

Photoshop isn't your best option for layouts like this. Work on learning InDesign (or something similar) for this type of work. Photoshop is for photos.

Way too many fonts and hierarchy issues. I don't know what I'm supposed to read first or focus on. The Sophie's one is better, more organized, but again too many fonts.
              Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

thanks for the feedback. since no one said the designs were horrible I'll concentrate on my typography.

This is some older work and I've learned a few tricks since then

sorry, I guess my title was kind of off. only the layerland one on the bottom was recent and for fun.

Comment

Again, kerning, and maybe some spacing issues. Now that I've looked over them, the previous posters did mention the amount of type/font variations used. It seems that typography is your main weakness in your designs. As for the balance, color schemes, and layout (sans the spacing/kerning in regards to your type elements) they are good.

As for the earlier comment Dr McNinja said in regards of all of them obviously being done in Photoshop, I only really noticed one (the 2nd one, that obviously has rasterized images... the others I could have attributed to small file size in terms of the lossy). All the rest could have been developed in Illustrator (though some more difficult than others depending on your skill set).

Also, the balance between Illustrator and InDesign varies depending on the scope of the project. If it is just going to be a poster, I would probably start in Illustrator (in terms of the typographic elements). If this would be a more involved campaign, I would break it down between Illustrator, Photoshop (if I were to be working with photos), and InDesign, as needed. Every tool for it's proper function...

That being said, I didn't even start using Illustrator until my final year in college, and knowing what I do now, I use Illy almost exclusively for any design elements that are non-raster.
                  ~People like me are the reason people like you take medication~
                  Portfolio

Comment

The Pac-Man / Rubik's Cube one is cute, kind of crowded but it works for me. I could like the Big City Rock one if it were better organized and the font excess were dealt with. The Valentine's Day one strikes me as the best from a design standpoint "as is."

Comment

The valentine one is quite good. The arrow up the bum is funny. The costume party one is a bit busy but again, for a non-designer, it's OK. The top two don't really work and the rest is just fannying around in PhS.

Comment

I don't believe it!
                        A compliment from Roth!

sleezebagger you have no idea the value of this very rare event.

Comment

In the order they appear:

1) the use of multiple alignment makes this look like it was thrown at a page (first two lines: left, next two right-ish, then left, then centre-ish) it's just messy.

2) Apart from some kerning, spacing issue and spelling "WLECOME", it's probably the strongest of the bunch. Watch how close you put text to the edge of the page, and be consistent with the alignment of headers.

3) What is it? What is it for?

4) Also pretty good, a little busy, but event posters can be. Spelling and kerning again (I've never come across John spelled Jhon). The title looks like it reads "ABC'S" A 80's is poor grammar and should be either "80'S" or "AN 80'S". The yellow text under speakers, try pulling "break" onto the same line as "with a 10 minute". The pastel colours don't really fit the 80's theme IMO.

5) Under the date, watch the casing, it goes from titlecase to sentence case to lowercase to sentence case, it looks random. Kerning again. Also, usually a designer doesn't get credit on adverts, sometimes when it's donated work for a not for profit.

6) Not sure what it is or what it is for.

For all of them, you need to be using the right tool for the job.
                          Design is not decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
                            A 80's is poor grammar and should be either "80'S" or "AN 80'S".
                            An 80s'

It's possesive of the 80s (eighties) decade, not of the number eighty.

Either way I'd go as Philip Michael Thomas.
                            Last edited by Roth; 04-09-2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

It is a flyer for an AA (alcoholics anonymous) event...

Hence the A80's. lol

also, 3, 6 were just posters I was doing for fun. Those were the ones I was originally going to throw up for the thread. I got excited and grabbed a few more

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X