Reply to Confessions
    kemingMatters
    LOL @ "I never test on IE"
    Today, 02:41 PM
  • seamas
    Reply to Advice for logo
    seamas
    No.

I would lose the curve at the bottom of the K and be done with it....
    Today, 02:33 PM
  • kinner
    Reply to Advice for logo
    kinner
    hey, thanks! yep I agree. Tho here's a screenshot of the original K and my logo.
    Actually, I was wrong - I didn't make the rounding bigger, I just changed it's curve coz it was not a perfect circle...
    Today, 02:24 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Open corrupted qxp files
    KitchWitch
    Hi Jiri and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 02:15 PM
  • sketxz!
    Reply to HELLO
    sketxz!
    Hello! Welcome to the forum. May I ask where are you from?
    Today, 02:09 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For continuous text I can *partly understand but isolated, small fragments like all the information on this flier nah…

Comment

I'm getting a flasher vibe.

Comment

I appreciate all the response, though some of the criticism here was very much on the catty, unhelpful side. I did implement some changes based on what some of the responses were saying and I genuinely appreciate anyone who left a comment for the purpose of actually being helpful. This is my first attempt at the so called "urban, nightclub" type of design so I really needed helpful input.

Comment

ok, your getting there. Do the bubbles and font used for the title really have to stay? its the part thats really throwing the whole piece off. heres what I see by looking at what you just posted.

I see the title all bubbly and pink and blue and such and I get a car wash feel, or something for kids or something, its not really giving me the night club feel. unless they play really upbeat, happy go lucky music, but Ive never heard of club music that sounded like that.

moving down into the information, you switched typefaces and now have this yellow broadway feeling type. I feel like I got my car washed and am now heading to new york to watch the latest broadway show. Again, it doesn feel very "clubish"

moving on down, your dj's name is very last? you just threw off your hierarchy. At clubs, your dj is the life of the party, get that mans name up under the clubs name, shrink "18 to enter, 21 to drink" down and put it where the dj used to be, and flip your address and times. I want to know if I'm going to be able to make it to this thing...ok I can, now where is it going to be? good got it.

Looking at the overall layout, after what I just mentioned, what is the theme of the night club, the theme of the night, the style of music the DJ plays? these are things to consider for this. Like I said your doing better now with the background, but you should consider picking one of the themes I just mentioned and use that for your overall layout.

hope that helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
            So this DJ specializes in early 80s bubblegum pop?
            May the bridges I burn light the way.
            Portfolio

Comment

I guess now I know this is truly a very "catty" forum, how very sad. As a matter of fact, the DJ does play 80's New Wave, not bubblegum. The bubbles are part of the template given to me by the DJ, who specifically said this part of the template should be included. This will probably be close to the final edit as the DJ wants the "bubbles" and the "bubble" text, as they are actually supposed to be disco balls, not bubbles.

Last edited by tango; 04-11-2012, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't read any of that. Busy thinking about Sam Fox.

Now there's a couple of bubbles.

Comment

Hi Tango,

It's hard for many of us here to constructively comment on this poster, because there are a good few things wrong with the design (not being insulting, just being honest).

The hierarchy of the type is wrong, the font usage is incorrect (are you using an art deco font for a club poster?)

To me, this doesn't communicate a club to me, well atleast a night club. If I saw this on the wall, I'd instantly think this was a poster for a guy who's set up a club for people who blow bubbles.

You have the Dj's name at the very bottom in the smallest sized font? Even in the original design you have here it's still too small. That should be one of the most prominent, biggest typography elements on the poster, that's who you are trying to sell.

Club name, location and the acts should stand out more, the rest of the information less prominent.

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
                    I guess now I know this is truly a very "catty" forum, how very sad. As a matter of fact, the DJ does play 80's New Wave, not bubblegum. The bubbles are part of the template given to me by the DJ, who specifically said this part of the template should be included. This will probably be close to the final edit as the DJ wants the "bubbles" and the "bubble" text, as they are actually supposed to be disco balls, not bubbles.

You asked for criticism, and you got it. If you think we're harsh, I could tell you stories about clients all day long that would make us look like sensitive pony-tail men.

There really is nothing working about this poster. The cheesy effects on the text, the obnoxious colors that will never print, the random bubbles, etc. To me, it looks like you are advertising a children's TV show or something. Nothing about it looks like something an adult would want to attend.

This is a case of trying to do too much. Start very simple. Start black and white, text only, and only add colors or other elements when they are absolutely necessary.
                    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Give the DJ/Club what the DJ wants and then one that you think rocks.
                      best of luck.

the remaining copy (pink/broadway) is nothing catchy. size the very bottom row smaller. the harsh shadow and the upper left sheen looks cheesy. have you checked out other flyers? behance/dribbble other online sites to see how hierarchy works?
                      Dribbble Page
                      Behance Portfolio
                      Linkedin Profile

Comment

You know, it's awful, but in it's way it perfectly sums up the kind of night you'll have. It will be cheezy, it will be crass, it will be full of awful people who have no idea how tragic they are, but the music will be great after a few drinks and despite yourself you might have some fun. If designers held a party like this the flyers would be knockout but you'd be in bed by nine with a good book and a cup of horlicks.

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
                          I guess now I know this is truly a very "catty" forum, how very sad.
                          No, it's a forum for criticism. There's a warning right up there saying "wear your heavy sweater!" If you want to hear "Hey, that's great! Go with it exactly as is," then you'll not learn much, will you? Believe me, GDF is as gentle as newborn lambikins frolicking in a pasture of bluebells and buttercups compared to some places I've been, where the caption ought to read "Abandon hope all ye who enter."

they are actually supposed to be disco balls, not bubbles.
                          Disco balls are opaque and covered with little squares of mirror that appear dark but reflect beams of light. In one venue you might see three or five, tops, carefully arranged for best effect. These are transparent, reflect no beams but seem to glow from within, and there are scads of them floating randomly all over the place. They're bubbles. If they're supposed to be disco balls, make them look like disco balls.

[edit]
                          the DJ wants the "bubbles" and the "bubble" text, as they are actually supposed to be disco balls, not bubbles.
                          The text is supposed to be... disco ball text? You can see that doesn't make sense. Bubbles.

I'll repeat what others have said about the overuse of PS effects, font choices, arrangement of text, colors, and so forth. It just doesn't work. I say all this with the kindest, gentlest, most beneficent of motives: I want you to do good work.
                          Last edited by Meffy; 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Catty? No. Trying to help you see how others may view this piece so you can recognize your mistakes? Yes. If you want to improve, you need to put your feelings aside and use criticism to your advantage.

Broadway is FAR from disco ball text. It's an art deco font. Art deco and disco are WORLDS apart. Knowing some art history can be quite helpful in graphic design. And the circles do not look like disco balls. Hence why people are asking why there are bubbles on your flyer. Just because they're supposed to be something else doesn't change how people will interpret the shapes as they stand now.

blog/portfolio

Comment

@Tango: If "Art Deco" doesn't ring a bell, think The Great Gatsby, flappers and sugar daddies, bathtubs full of gin... the 1920s, in other words. That's the cultural baggage that comes along for the ride when you use the font "Broadway."

Which is great if you're doing a poster for a Bonnie and Clyde Night, not so great in the more general case. :-}

Comment

First thing I think of when I hear art deco is the lobby of the Empire State Building (as well as the building itself, along with the Chrysler Building):

I also think of Erte prints:

These are the sorts of images that float through people's minds when you use a font specific to the art deco period. If this were a 20s or 30s themed event, then it would work, but only if you adjusted the surrounded imagery to reflect the aesthetic. I'm guessing this isn't what you're going for?
                                Last edited by Virgo Nightingale; 04-11-2012, 02:27 PM.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X