Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Yehoshua
    Cover Layout Feedback
    Yehoshua
    I've been exploring more with minimalism, but still trying to keep things logical. This is a 11x17 cover for a recent undergrad project I've been working on. Does it work? Why or why not? The blue wacked...
    Today, 04:22 AM
  • vaprarts
    Reply to Down selling to clients
    vaprarts
    Now i have no real experience working with clients but in my opinion you did what most designers should do. You are being hired as a designer not an artist. Its our job to create work that makes sense....
    Today, 02:58 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Zoo Business Card Critique Wanted
    Buda
    I really like the aesthetic.

Will you do more in the series? You could have a different design for different departments.
    Today, 02:44 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Sweden's official national typeface
    Buda
    Cool idea but I'm not convinced that font will work in every situation. Can they remove Comic Sans from all government computers? That would be a nice start.

My mum works for a government...
    Today, 02:43 AM
  • it52
    Reply to Infographics...struggle
    it52
    I do find them a bit boring. I think the layout and graphics themselves are too simple. I think you can definitely try adding some more detail to the graphics and experiment a bit more with your layo...
    Today, 01:19 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subtle Designs' Logo

Hey guys I just wanted to get some feedback on the logo I created for my new blog, Subtle Designs. I wanted it to look clean and simple, and I think I got the desired effect. Please tell me what you think, but don't hate too much, this is my first logo.

Thanks for any critique.

Welcome to the forum Subtle. I hope you'll find it useful and fun here.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes.
    This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
    "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
      Welcome to the forum Subtle. I hope you'll find it useful and fun here.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes.
      Thanks for the welcome. I really hope I can find a place here.

Comment

If I had a dime for every time I read on this forum the only objective was a "clean and simple" logo I would rich. I have better slogan – where design meets crap.

In all serious nothing is working here. It looks like a abstract representation of a harp or d lacking any purpose or effort beyond the 10 minutes (I'll give the benefit of the doubt) it took to Photoshop it together.

try again…
        Last edited by tZ; 04-11-2012, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tZ View Post
          If I had a dime for every time I read on this forum the only objective was a "clean and simple" logo I would rich. I have better slogan – where design meets crap.

In all serious nothing is working here. It looks like a abstract representation of a harp or d lacking any purpose or effort beyond the 10 minutes (I'll give the benefit of the doubt) it took to Photoshop it together.

try again…
          I'm sorry you don't like it. Could you clarify though what you mean about the "D" lacking any purpose?

Comment

It isn't that I don't quote on quote "don't like it" it is that I do not find it a successful for its purpose. Two very different things. I could like it all day but that doesn't mean it is successful given its purpose which is what is most important when it comes to design. Not whether or not you like it, emotional speaking.

That can be difficult to explain to a client, especially when they are paying for something but as a designer you should be able to understand and change your thought/judgement process appropriately to fit that PROFESSIONAL model.

What I meant by the d lacking any purpose is that I don't understand why it is there. Though more importantly sticking a d in a box is a cope out for an identity. Especially an identity for someone who selling CREATIVE services. I'm not even going to get into the technical issues because quit frankly the idea if one even exists isn't worth salvaging.

If the name had some connection to music in which a harp could be an appropriate symbol salvaging the shape *might be worth while. That is really the only case I would even consider salvaging anything here that has been presented. Though I think I'm the only one who saw a harp so perhaps that is just because I have harps on my mind or something. In that case nothing would be worth re-purposing.
            Last edited by tZ; 04-11-2012, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Subtle View Post
              I'm sorry you don't like it. Could you clarify though what you mean about the "D" lacking any purpose?
              He means it just looks like a very poorly constructed letter "D" that doesn't mean anything, or a harp.

What is the purpose of the drop shadow? If you want something "clean and simple" why would you throw in something as meaningless as a drop shadow?

Comment

There are a lot of basic errors and problems. Your logo is a standard stylised mesh of two letters - something that almost never works. You have unnecessary drop shadows which counter your simplicity tagline. Your title font isn't interesting, nor does it look like it's connected to the icon in any way. The tagline font doesn't gel with anything, is badly done, and shouldn't have a full stop.
                Last edited by Roth; 04-11-2012, 03:24 AM.

Comment

It isn't that I don't quote on quote "don't like it" it is that I do not find it a successful for its purpose. Two very different things. I could like it all day but that doesn't mean it is successful given its purpose which is what is most important when it comes to design. Not whether or not you like it, emotional speaking.

That can be difficult to explain to a client, especially when they are paying for something but as a designer you should be able to understand and change your thought/judgement process appropriately to fit that PROFESSIONAL model.

What I meant by the d lacking any purpose is that I don't understand why it is there. Though more importantly sticking a d in a box is a cope out for an identity. Especially an identity for someone who selling CREATIVE services. I'm not even going to get into the technical issues because quit frankly the idea if one even exists isn't worth salvaging.
                  Hey, thanks for clarifying your post. I'd like to say though that for the actual logo I encased it around the black box since it looked better in white, but really you can have it black as well.

Anyway, as to the identity itself, are you saying that the actual name doesn't work? I think I will work on the logo though. It's good to get some professional input, especially since I'm just starting out.

The other thing I think you're saying, is that I should understand my purpose for this identity more? Am I correct as to that's what you're saying?

Thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

Will you be using this identity to market yourself for paying jobs?

Comment

Will you be using this identity to market yourself for paying jobs?
                      Right now, I'm just using it to start my blog, which deals with different digital art, like wallpapers and logos and things like that. Right now, I'm not really selling to any client but it could definitely be a possibility in the future.

Comment

Is this a blog from an art critic perspective? Because it sounded at first like a professional designer's blog, but then if you're blogging professionally, you would have designed hundreds, if not thousands of logos before starting a blog about it.

Who do you imagine will read this blog? Creative professionals or people with less design knowledge than you?

Is your blog going to feature original content about design written by you? Or are you going to be reposting "cool stuff I saw on the interwebs"?
                        It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Buda View Post
                          Is this a blog from an art critic perspective? Because it sounded at first like a professional designer's blog, but then if you're blogging professionally, you would have designed hundreds, if not thousands of logos before starting a blog about it.

Who do you imagine will read this blog? Creative professionals or people with less design knowledge than you?

Is your blog going to feature original content about design written by you? Or are you going to be reposting "cool stuff I saw on the interwebs"?
                          Right now, it's starting off as a hobby. I'm not a professional designer. Of I gave the impression that I did ( Which I doubt ) please forgive me. This blog is just to talk about content I created, and it's just on my thought processes and things like that. I just want to start sharing my content with the world in a blog. Nothing fancy or anything.

Is this what you wanted to know?

Comment

Ok, so it's kind of like a portfolio site to show the stuff you are learning. In that case, your logo should look like the kinds of work you want to do, your style and reflect your level of expertise.

If it's personal, then it should so more of your personality.

Right now, there is no real concept except that you don't really know anything about fonts.
                            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" – Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I see what your trying to do with the S and D combined to make one.....piece. however like the others said, its not really working.

I see the harp, but i dont really see the d, unless of course you all are talking about a uppercase d then yea, but when I seen it, I seen the S D combo, but then seen a lowercase b.

The font used for your name isn't working, its too rigid for the logo. your logo gives a very flowly feeling and then your name is rigid it feels awkward. Then to add to it you have your tagline in a very straight forward serif font, what im guessing is...times? Adding those three elements together makes it VERY awkward, and is causing your whole layout to feel really off. Plus the position, and font of your tagline is making it seem like it was an after thought and thus just stuck on at the last minute.

Now for something positive (since I try to find something positive to say in all my crits) I think you could have something workable here. You just need to pick one of your styles, do you want the smooth flowing feeling of the icon? or do you want to go with the slightly rigid, yet still somewhat clean look of the name? Make a choice (or just completely start over) and you could make some progress.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X