Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• PrintDriver
    Reply to Career Direction Input
    PrintDriver
    CAD design is an odd term. CAD=Computer Aided Design and usually refers to software used to draw up 3D modular design.
    We have 3 CAD departments here where I work. One is Solidworks based and does...
    Today, 11:28 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to Opinions on My Logo?
    PrintDriver
    Which group of millennials are you targeting? Because not all millennials are the same. I posted an article here recently where the author had identified 5 subgroups of millennials and targeting for each...
    Today, 11:13 AM
  • Red Kittie Kat
    Reply to What font is this?
    Red Kittie Kat
    Looks like Berling LTStd Bold... with a funky T. It's either been altered or from a different font.
    Today, 08:44 AM
  • Judy Smith
    Reply to The ad I posted in classifieds was not posted
    Judy Smith
    On the post, I had linked to a thread on this forum, wherein someone advised me to post the term "volunteer" in the subject line of the classifieds section....
    Today, 03:33 AM
  • PanToshi
    Reply to First Time App Project Advice Needed
    PanToshi
    Welcome to GDF dude

We ask all new members to read the very important links here and here. These explain the rules and how the forum runs. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every...
    Today, 02:17 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studio45design logo

First off, Hello! I'm new here - not sure if I'm supposed to introduce myself somewhere else like on other forums so I'll just do it now if thats ok. I'm a graphic designer in a grim Irish market working for a regional newspaper so my skills have been shelved for a few years. With hours cut I need to get back in the game a bit so I am in the process of getting my ID/Website together (The later I have no clue about so its off to Squarespace!)

Anyway here is the logo I have come up with after much sketches and hair pulling.

I guess my design style is kind of retro with a modern edge (God that sounds arsey!) and 45 because I am a vinyl nut!
    Apologies for the rather small file - I'm at 'work' now so cant get to the original file...

What do ye think?
    Never trust someone, who, if left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesnt try it on..

Hi Jahbuzzz and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They will give you all the info you need on how the forum runs, the rules and regulations, frequently discussed topics as well as clearing up any baffling inside jokes.

Since google ranks this forum pretty high in searches, you might want to be careful about throwing your business name around. Future clients will find you on here.

I like the feeling of the logo. It's fresh and the colours make me think of print. I definitely get the retro/modern vibe from this. But the 45 is hard to read. I don't think most people will be able to read it easily. Don't dumb it down, but don't make it too hard to read or a potential client may just move onto the next designer on the list.

I'm not fond of the way studio is split. The u and the d are too close to the edge of the pink triangle. It's creating a weird focus/tension there. That will need to be resolved somehow.
    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

There is nothing modern about that. Retro, it is, I guess. It reminds me of most every logo I saw in the 80's.

Also, it doesn't read "45" to me. If you hadn't told me, I would not have seen the numbers.
      http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Yup, definitely has an 80's feel to it.

Also, just my personal opinion, but I HATE when I see a designer's logo or especially a printing company's logo using the cmyk colors.
        "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
        -Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Buda View Post
          Hi Jahbuzzz and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE and HERE. They will give you all the info you need on how the forum runs, the rules and regulations, frequently discussed topics as well as clearing up any baffling inside jokes.

Since google ranks this forum pretty high in searches, you might want to be careful about throwing your business name around. Future clients will find you on here.

I like the feeling of the logo. It's fresh and the colours make me think of print. I definitely get the retro/modern vibe from this. But the 45 is hard to read. I don't think most people will be able to read it easily. Don't dumb it down, but don't make it too hard to read or a potential client may just move onto the next designer on the list.

I'm not fond of the way studio is split. The u and the d are too close to the edge of the pink triangle. It's creating a weird focus/tension there. That will need to be resolved somehow.
          Thank you for the response and the welcome. I agree with you totally on the studio being splil and was uncomfortable with this. I do however see the 45 in the logo but colleagues here at work were split on that - Some saw some did'nt. The Emperors New logo!
          Any suggestions for the placement of the word Studio ?

Off topic a bit - but can I change the annoying typo on my thread title?
          Never trust someone, who, if left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesnt try it on..

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcher View Post
            Yup, definitely has an 80's feel to it.

Also, just my personal opinion, but I HATE when I see a designer's logo or especially a printing company's logo using the cmyk colors.
            I did years ago but softened to it - You don't see much of it around these parts anymore and it works for me now I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahbuzzz View Post
              Off topic a bit - but can I change the annoying typo on my thread title?
              Done.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Virgo Nightingale View Post
                Done.
                Thanks muchly

Comment

Hi Jah,

I can see where you're coming from, however there is nothing contemporary about the logo, an 80's feel? I get that.

Like the others have said, I don't see numbers, I just see shapes. Have you tried playing around with more contemporary styled fonts? It's playing it safe with the current one you're using.

I think you might have to pull out your hair a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammie View Post
                    Hi Jah,

I can see where you're coming from, however there is nothing contemporary about the logo, an 80's feel? I get that.

Like the others have said, I don't see numbers, I just see shapes. Have you tried playing around with more contemporary styled fonts? It's playing it safe with the current one you're using.

I think you might have to pull out your hair a bit more.

Luckily I have plenty of hair!

Very good point here. I can still see the 45 myself but I agree with the font - I may have been a bit lazy here... I will revisit this and get back to it - Thing is I am eager to get up and running asap - a new bambino and a taste for rare vinyl means the bills are stacking up

Any more useful critique is much appreciated and i'm a big boy - I can take a bit of slating as long as it helps..

Some forums out there are just plain rude and the rudest are usually they least qualified to comment...

Comment

Originally posted by Jahbuzzz View Post
                      Luckily I have plenty of hair!

Very good point here. I can still see the 45 myself but I agree with the font - I may have been a bit lazy here... I will revisit this and get back to it - Thing is I am eager to get up and running asap - a new bambino and a taste for rare vinyl means the bills are stacking up

Any more useful critique is much appreciated and i'm a big boy - I can take a bit of slating as long as it helps..

Some forums out there are just plain rude and the rudest are usually they least qualified to comment...

Congrats on the Bambino

You mentioned you can see the 45 yourself, but that's only because you've been focussing on forming the number 45 out of the sketches/designs you've been doing.

There's no point in convincing yourself that you can see the 45 legibly when the majority of the public cannot. Your goal is to communicate to others through imagery, if the communication is interrupted due to ill-accurate design, your mission is a failure.

Do you have any other designs handy? It would be nice to be able to see something different, perhaps we can shed some light on those?

Comment

Right - I've had a little play with the 4 part. Made the triangles the same size - changed the font to a more contemporary style and changed the colour scheme - I'm a bit jaded from a long day at work so 100% sure here - I like the new font (On the first logo) But I still don't think its there yet....

Comment

#4 is the most promising to me in terms of shapes and colour. The "studio" bit could probably fit nicely in the reactangle created by the right side of the 4 and the top of the five. I also think the 4 needs a fatter stem.

The only thing thats really bugging me about it is the negative space created at the bottom of the 4+5. It just doesnt feel nice

Comment

Originally posted by Dris View Post
                            #4 is the most promising to me in terms of shapes and colour. The "studio" bit could probably fit nicely in the reactangle created by the right side of the 4 and the top of the five. I also think the 4 needs a fatter stem.

The only thing thats really bugging me about it is the negative space created at the bottom of the 4+5. It just doesnt feel nice
                            I agree, 4 is the best out of the most recent lot. The 4 looks like a 4!

Studio at that size should be ok. It's the 45 that is the company name, the studio is just an addition.
                            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by Sammie View Post
                              Congrats on the Bambino

You mentioned you can see the 45 yourself, but that's only because you've been focussing on forming the number 45 out of the sketches/designs you've been doing.

There's no point in convincing yourself that you can see the 45 legibly when the majority of the public cannot. Your goal is to communicate to others through imagery, if the communication is interrupted due to ill-accurate design, your mission is a failure.

Do you have any other designs handy? It would be nice to be able to see something different, perhaps we can shed some light on those?
                              Thanks Sammie - What did I do with my time before the wee one arrived I will never know...

I agree totally with you on the communication comment - in fact thats what to try to impress to my clients so I need to detach a bit maybe.

I have more sketches and roughs but I'd see that as ging backwards as I had settled on this out of the lot.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X