Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• sketch28
    What is this type of design called?
    sketch28
    I really like this type of design and would like to try my hand at some of my own, but I would like to see more examples of it. Could anyone tell me what it's called?

Sorry...
    Today, 05:32 AM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Created Logo in PS, question about file
    KitchWitch
    Hi Chromez and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 02:17 AM
  • Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Thank you for your answer PrintDriver. Seems like I was misinformed. I'll probably have to buy another printer that can print on thicker card stock then. Do you have any suggestions as to what printer...
    Yesterday, 11:30 PM
  • zablockit
    Reply to Please critique my new game design
    zablockit

Ok, skeuomorphic looks awesome!

What do you think now?

What would you improve?...
    Yesterday, 09:11 PM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Font Management
    lowfatgraphics
    Thanks.

I was testing the Font Suitcase and seems to be screwing with my Chrome bowsers...after some googling--looks like its a known issue. FEX it is then.

Thanks Garricks....
    Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on packaging design

Hello Designers!

I've just finished a big project on packaging design and want to know your honest feedback.
    Clients are happy, it's been 3 month a lot of work but I can't really understand my design anymore. I mean I've been looking at it everyday and can't see it anymore. It's like I've become a robot designer.

Another thing (I know I'm not supposed to talk about prices) but I can't evaluate myself and send an invoice. Now the project is finished, I don't even remember all the hard work I've done. I think my brain just want to forget everything.

I think if I hear some feedback from other designers, I will at least feel something regarding my work.

Thanks for your time!
    P.S I'm a freelancer. This is packaging Tetra pak design of 3 flavours.

They had a template of packaging, so I used the layout. I don't know if it is considered that it's easier to design when you already have some elements that were created by someone else. Maybe, but I totally feel that it was as hard as if I designed everything from scratch.

PLUS all the changes from clients, change of names, graphs, hundred times changing this and that (which is part of the process I know but still adds preassure, considering that I'm doing everything by myself)

Please freelancers and brother designers say something
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Lina Lime View Post
    Another thing (I know I'm not supposed to talk about prices) but I can't evaluate myself and send an invoice. Now the project is finished, I don't even remember all the hard work I've done.
    What does your contract specify? Should have all been spelled out before any work began.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Isn't that Hobo? I actually really think this is a good use for it. =) Nice!

Contracts should always specify either total estimated cost of job or your hourly rate (or both). Also, be sure to track your time more carefully in the future! I know it sucks but it must be done as you go. Trying to work out how many hours you spent after the fact is inaccurate and an even bigger PITA than keeping track as you work.

What I normally do is just set aside 1-4 hours on my work nights for a specific project. Then it's easier to add to a tally at the end of the session.

Otherwise, I think the package is successful. It's not totally mind-blowing within the market segment (or the natural facing on the shelf next to your competitors), but it's a solid piece within that segment IMO. Well done.
      Seriously, read this.

Comment

well I have my own fixed price per hour, but if I calculate like this it's going to be ridiculously expensive. We didn't discuss anything before with the client, I've been working with them for a while, they trust me and never complain about my prices. It's just this time I feel maybe I'm not comfortable to charge them a lot. I'm trying to make it cheaper, I don't know why.

Comment

Funny. I knew Njoy was a familiar name. It's also the name of an e-cig product.

blog/portfolio

Comment

maynardsayswhat thanks

Trying to work out how many hours you spent after the fact is inaccurate and an even bigger PITA than keeping track as you work.
            I know how many hours it was but the funny thing is, I think it's too much. I can't charge them more than I deserve but at the same time that's how much time it took and I should deserve it. This is my confusion

Comment

I'm also interested can my clients find out about this post?

Comment

If your hourly rate adds up to an exhorbitant charge, you put too many hours in the project. Or somehow didn't set limits.

It's very hard to run a business when you don't know what your pricing needs to be to at least break even. Your work time is not free. Neither is your overhead. Freelancing is a Business. You need to sort this stuff out before you hang out the shingle.

as to your clients finding it. Yep. Most likely. Since the name has been mentioned.
                Didn't read those Welcome posts eh?

Comment

I'm also interested can my clients find out about this post?
                  Only if they search for it =)

Honestly, from what you've posted in this thread I'd not worry about it. You're conflicted about charging them "too much". Most of my clients would rather see that than "how much can I milk them for?" =D
                  Seriously, read this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lina Lime View Post
                    maynardsayswhat thanks

I know how many hours it was but the funny thing is, I think it's too much. I can't charge them more than I deserve but at the same time that's how much time it took and I should deserve it. This is my confusion
                    it is what it is, bill them for your time. If they take issue, explain your usage of time and/or work with them on it. This is why it's good to get the budget first, then do the work.
                    Design is not decoration.

Comment

Anything here can and will be indexed by Google, and can show up in a search. This is why we point all new members to the rules and FAQs, which include a warning about such things.

blog/portfolio

Comment

IMO, (and i don't know much about package design) but looking at this final piece, which looks really good, and seeing that you said you put a lot of work into it, I would say you deserve to be paid whatever the price is, no matter how expensive. After all stuff in our field don't come cheap.

Comment

"Deserves got nothing to do with it."

Without an eyes-open contract and billing agreement, you can easily put yourself in a bad situation if you suddenly send off a invoice that the client wasn't expecting. It's naive to think otherwise and arrogant to believe we are justified in billing high without an "ok" before performing the work from the client.
                          Seriously, read this.

Comment

PrintDriver
                            If your hourly rate adds up to an exhorbitant charge, you put too many hours in the project. Or somehow didn't set limits.
                            how do you set limits when everytning is raw from both sides. They wanted smth, then I develop it, then change, then develop again, then add something. I wish I could follow some steps, and do it according to the instruction. But this is all turns up to be creative process with a lot of thinking and accuracy. Maybe it's just me, other freelancers are more stable..

as to your clients finding it. Yep. Most likely. Since the name has been mentioned.
                            Didn't read those Welcome posts eh?

Is there any chance to delete the post after discussion? I didn't mean to mention the name((

Comment

infinity thank you, I needed these words))

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X