Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• ISitude
    Reply to Common font, but what is it? Please help.
    ISitude
    Upstairs inside my head I class fonts in categories. In the Serif category I remember this face because of its pointy serif, and I remember its name mainly because the Ss look like a Boa Constrictor that...
    Today, 05:52 PM
  • ISitude
    Comment on Common font, but what is it? Please help.
    ISitude
    WELCOME!!
    Today, 05:41 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Dissertation topic
    KitchWitch
    Hi ejl and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 05:01 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Common font, but what is it? Please help.
    <b>
    I have a weird mental block when it comes to this typeface. Whenever I see it, I can never remember its name. Maybe it's because there's absolutely nothing about the face that seems even remotely ser...
    Today, 04:02 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Client hasn't paid and is using my website!!
    <b>
    I haven't heard the client's side of the story, but just taking what you've written at face value, you're dealing with a big-time deadbeat and a thief. Getting this person to voluntarily hand over payment...
    Today, 03:56 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry kittie, I had a feeling someone would step in soon.

anywhooo......

Can I ask the reason for this project? i mean obviously more than one school does this. What exactly is the point of giving a project like this? Shouldn't projects in college be based solely on events/projects we will deal with in the real world?

I mean unless someone ends up getting into designing the money, but it has been the same for how long?

Comment

I never had to design currency at design school.

Maybe they figure it's a good way to show off pen tooling fancy patterns.
      It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

US $20s have the additional advantage of being dusted with trace amounts of cocaine, or so I've read.
        This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
        "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
          LOL!
          Did you read this part:
          Nope. I hadn't read that part. You're such a buzz kill!

Comment

Originally posted by garricks View Post
            US $20s have the additional advantage of being dusted with trace amounts of cocaine, or so I've read.
            Why just the $20s?
            It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

My guess is because it's the largest denomination commonly available, so it's what the dealers use. I suppose when it trickles down to us common folk, trace rubs off on the smaller bills too.
              This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
              "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
                Can I ask the reason for this project? i mean obviously more than one school does this. What exactly is the point of giving a project like this? Shouldn't projects in college be based solely on events/projects we will deal with in the real world?

I mean unless someone ends up getting into designing the money, but it has been the same for how long?
                Just because a student will likely not ever get into designing currency, that doesn't make it a worthless school project. There are concepts within it that can be translated to other aspects of design and production. They may go on to design checks, or other secure documents that require anti-counterfeiting measures. There's also a certain aesthetic associated with currency. A project like this gets them thinking about how to achieve that aesthetic, or how challenge it while still maintaining a design that looks 'official' and would be accepted by the population.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Besides all that Virgo said, it also gets them used to doing useless projects that have no bearing in the Real World.
                  <sad, but true>

Though I kinda doubt they are really fully researching the security methods...sounds like a straight up copy of Canadian currency practices to me.

Comment

I'm sure the real good security methods aren't exactly easy for a student to research on the web, but getting them to think about ways to make copying more difficult is simply something else for them to learn and consider in the real world. If I were teaching and this was one of my projects, I'd have students work in some sort of security device. Some will do the standard methods, some will go out of their way to do what research they can on what's new, and others will conceptualize entirely new ways and think of how to theoretically make it happen. Bonus points to those who think outside the box.

blog/portfolio

Comment

I haven't gotten to see a plastic money bill yet up here (but I don't see a lot of $50's and $100's in my line of work)

I've never had problems with the colour coming off on my hands... all money is dirty it's just the nature of it. Coins are the worst! I don't miss the days of putting coins into the slot machines, love the new slip system (except that it makes it hard to just put in a dollar randomly and see what happens).

I agree with you Virgo on the security options with money. it's great print knowledge and learning that there are sooo many things that can become a problem is always a good thing for students to realize.
                      I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. ~ Kurt Cobain

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                      Working...
                      X