Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Infographics...struggle
    KitchWitch
    I think the second set is improved, but still static. I've noticed that a lot of infographics not only use color block backgrounds to separate sections, they often also use something that breaks those...
    Today, 01:49 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to HELLO
    KitchWitch
    Hi Alessia and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 01:33 PM
  • KitchWitch
    Reply to Looking For Designers / How To's
    KitchWitch
    Hi Amit and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 01:31 PM
  • alessia1234
    Reply to HELLO
    alessia1234
    Hello Guys I'm new in this forum. Today My first day in this forum website.
    Today, 07:23 AM
  • Kayekaye
    Reply to Realty Company Logo concept
    Kayekaye
    This reminds me of what Chip Kidd, designer at Alfred A. Knopt Publishers said in his TED Talk:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC0KxNeLp1E

He said his first design class in school the teacher...
    Today, 06:56 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid Cudi Desktop BG + Wizzy K. project

oHai I'm new and I was looking for tips on my work as I seem to exceed the deigning skill of other forums I'm apart.

So I have two pieces. A Kid Cudi desktop background 100% complete and.....

a Wiz Khalifia desktop background that I have no idea how complete I am with it.

I can take whatever y'all say, just be sure to also help me if you're planning on being mean

These will be hard to critique since they are more art than graphic design. The purpose of graphic design is to communicate a message to a target market and what makes the design good is not whether or not they look good, but whether or not they effectively communicate that message. With art, basically if you like it, then it's good.

As far as technical skill, a couple of things I notice right off is your clipping masks. On the top image, there's a thin white line around the hair and the bottom one, there's a red streak along his forhead. Looks like you accidentally colored part of his skin red when coloring the hat.

Also, some of the low contrast areas, especially in the second image, won't print well. I know you said these are desktop backgrounds, but you always need to think about print. What if this guy wants these printed as a banner somewhere down the line?
    "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
    -Steve Jobs

Comment

Hi, Sly, and welcome. I guess these are personal work, made for for your own enjoyment, so it's hard to provide meaningful criticism. When you do work for your pleasure, then if you like it it's good. That said, here are my thoughts.

The first one looks... well, complete and fine for a desktop wallpaper. Mescudi's head seems slightly distorted, though. It's odd that the crowd are all facing away from him and the "camera." Is that what you intended to show?

The bottom image could maybe use two more images to fit in the unused space.

The way you've made the foreground pictures distinct from the background ones is effective without looking too much like photographic cut-outs pasted onto another picture.

Comment

Two posts containing the exact phrase -- "if you like it it's good" -- no, the forum isn't a bunch of well-programmed replybots! Promise. We've just had similar experiences. :-}

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
        Working...
        X