Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Saint-Michel
    Reply to Legal size cardstock for business cards
    Saint-Michel
    Thank you for your answer PrintDriver. Seems like I was misinformed. I'll probably have to buy another printer that can print on thicker card stock then. Do you have any suggestions as to what printer...
    Yesterday, 11:30 PM
  • zablockit
    Reply to Please critique my new game design
    zablockit

Ok, skeuomorphic looks awesome!

What do you think now?

What would you improve?...
    Yesterday, 09:11 PM
  • lowfatgraphics
    Reply to Font Management
    lowfatgraphics
    Thanks.

I was testing the Font Suitcase and seems to be screwing with my Chrome bowsers...after some googling--looks like its a known issue. FEX it is then.

Thanks Garricks....
    Yesterday, 08:29 PM
  • <b>
    Comment on RIP: The Necrology Thread
    <b>
    As just a listener of music, his work with Cream, along with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker, have been among my most favorite pieces of music since I was just a kid. Somehow it always manages to surprise...
    Yesterday, 07:25 PM
  • <b>
    Reply to Created Logo in PS, question about file
    <b>
    I think a lot depends on what one's definition of a logo might be. Many beginners and amateurs tend to make logos that are really just small, complicated illustrations. Most professionals, on the other...
    Yesterday, 06:47 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by n3ac3y View Post
    The idea for the site, I'm going to be producing gaming videos that aim to teach bad players how to play at a more professional level.
    Are there really professional gamers?

Be safe and thanks for your service.
    Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

In response to the "angry" controller.

• Binge is when someone overdoes something. Binge drinking for example, normally results in more sporadic behavior; anger/rage being the most likely.
      • Gamers, are known largely for raging in general. So the emotion ties in nicely with the culture.
      • Gaming brands are generally more serious. The unemotional, or smiling/crying/hippy controller would be less likely to fit with gaming
      Professional gaming is starting to grow in the US. The school I attended, actually sponsored me to play Halo 3 (Full Sail) for a little while.

And, I agree the Bunny Ears still works with the TV, as does the controller with gaming. I think the concept is pretty accurate guys, you are welcome to continue there but I'd rather focus on the design aspect itself. Or if we are too continue critiquing my direction at least provide an alternative one.

Thanks as always for your time!

Comment

• Gamers 'rage' when they lose. Your service teaches them how to be better, eliminating the rage. But your logo has the opposite effect.

• Binge drinking can cause anger or rage. Binge watching of Youtube videos is more likely to cause sleep and laziness.

Comment

Come on, you aren't even trying to provide a solution, you are just attacking the idea.

Rage / raging is culturally internal to gaming which players will relate to, there are countless meme's of gamers raging out, it's common. The "Raging controller" is not an implication that by following my videos will result in losing more, lol, it's just an icon to bridge Gaming/TV/Binge together and overlay over videos, websites, maybe get thrown on some merchandise here or there.

But we are spinning our wheels here, you are saying I've addressed Binge in a poor way even though binging is almost always associated with drinking. If you have a better alternative, just suggest. By all means.

Comment

We're not here to provide solutions for you. That's your job.

There are a lot of negative stereotypes about various cultures. Doesn't mean it's a good idea to make a logo out of them.

Comment

As someone who has experienced hardcore gaming, watched tournaments of professionals (yes seamas, as crazy as it is, there are professional gamers), and who has both raged and been raged at in a game online, I think your concept is solid. The jarring effect you are going for with the broken lines as well as the angry controller work for your target audience and for what you are doing. To those saying it's unwise to use a negative sterotype--perhaps the stereotype IS negative, but gamers know it all too well and it's often a subject of amusement. Gamers will identify with it (and most not really in a bad way), making it an effective communication piece.

HOWEVER, I definitely think this needs a lot of work. The idea is there, but the execution is not. The choppy thing with the controller is too messy. I really think you could smooth up the controller and leave the "angry eyes" and you'd get the same effect in a cleaner way. I'd also play with the text a lot more. You could work on getting that jarring effect with your text instead of in the controller, leaving the controller even more free to be smoother. You could even ditch the controller and work on just a wordmark, though I rather like the idea of an angry controller.

Ultimately, you said this is for you, so take everyone's criticism with a grain of salt. Everyone has valid points, but as you are designing this for yourself, if you can work up to something you are happy with and that you know your audience likes, then you have done your job.

I'm also going to add the extra disclaimer of: I am not a professional (yet...) so my advice should be heeded even more carefully.
              "I want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares."--Saul Bass

Comment

n3ac3y, this is an open forum where people are free to comment just as you are free to ignore whichever comments you don't like or find non-helpful. Arguing about them helps no one.

Comment

Originally posted by iambunny View Post
                  (yes seamas, as crazy as it is, there are professional gamers),

My impression of our society just got 25% more obese just imagining that!
                  Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

I was simply stating that the concept, while simple and kind of obvious... works. You need to go back to the sketchpad on the execution, looks like a bunch of random shapes to me. Maybe you had some other sketches or roughs you'd like to share?

Comment

Originally posted by seamas View Post
                      My impression of our society just got 25% more obese just imagining that!
                      Lmao. Somehow all the ones I've actually watched in tournaments are in surprisingly good shape. It's truly hard to believe that people make a living off playing video games, but it's hard to believe you can make a living playing basketball, football, etc. too. At least professional gamers don't make THAT much...at least I hope not. :P
                      "I want to make beautiful things, even if nobody cares."--Saul Bass

Comment

Originally posted by iambunny View Post
                        As someone who has experienced hardcore gaming, watched tournaments of professionals (yes seamas, as crazy as it is, there are professional gamers), and who has both raged and been raged at in a game online, I think your concept is solid. The jarring effect you are going for with the broken lines as well as the angry controller work for your target audience and for what you are doing. To those saying it's unwise to use a negative sterotype--perhaps the stereotype IS negative, but gamers know it all too well and it's often a subject of amusement. Gamers will identify with it (and most not really in a bad way), making it an effective communication piece.

HOWEVER, I definitely think this needs a lot of work. The idea is there, but the execution is not. The choppy thing with the controller is too messy. I really think you could smooth up the controller and leave the "angry eyes" and you'd get the same effect in a cleaner way. I'd also play with the text a lot more. You could work on getting that jarring effect with your text instead of in the controller, leaving the controller even more free to be smoother. You could even ditch the controller and work on just a wordmark, though I rather like the idea of an angry controller.

Ultimately, you said this is for you, so take everyone's criticism with a grain of salt. Everyone has valid points, but as you are designing this for yourself, if you can work up to something you are happy with and that you know your audience likes, then you have done your job.

I'm also going to add the extra disclaimer of: I am not a professional (yet...) so my advice should be heeded even more carefully.

THANKS! I'll be sure to add some modifications and post them in this thread. I've got my Adobe suite up out here in the desert , I'll be sure to keep plugging away at it and see if I can't make it less "choppy".

Comment

Originally posted by iambunny
                          It's truly hard to believe that people make a living off playing video games, but it's hard to believe you can make a living playing basketball, football, etc. too. At least professional gamers don't make THAT much...at least I hope not. :P
                          Truth has spoken. People playing games make more money than those saving lives. Its just not entertaining to watch the process of saving a life… boring – put the ______ in goal – much more entertaining and worth the couple million. Though the only way the medical industry could be payed what they deserve would be to up insurance and that would suck. So I'm fine with undervaluing important industries in comparison to sports. Sports are much more important anyway when we get down to it.
                          Last edited by tZ; 04-18-2012, 06:15 AM.

Comment

2ND UPDATE (UPGRADED LOGO HELVETICA)
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/7897910...in/photostream

Thoughts? Thanks!

Comment

Cool.
                              Are you just getting it down in B&W first before delving into colour, as I see your first posts are single colours? Maybe make Binge one colour and Gaming a different colour to separate the ideas but not the word?
                              The font is pretty close to Bajoran font (from Star Trek) maybe just clean the two N's and the B up and leave the G's the way they are. Less is more...

I like the whole thing but what would really make it punch is is somehow the whole controller could be a solid colour and maybe use the lines you've got as detail? If that makes any sense...
                              Last edited by Keyare; 05-01-2012, 09:11 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Being a long time gamer myself, I see a lot of gaming logos on a daily basis and this feels a bit lacking in execution. It has a slightly dated feel to it, "Asteroids" comes to mind.

I think you could articulate the illustration of the gaming pad a bit more, it's a bit too simple for the area in which you're designing it for.

The revised altered Helvetica is MUCH better than the previous execution. It mirrors the jagged edged style of the illustration.
                                Last edited by Sammie; 05-01-2012, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X