Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• <b>
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    <b>
    I really didn't define what I meant by important. For that matter, I'll still leave it fuzzy since there's really no way to objectively measure such a thing.

As for Comic Sans, I'd say it's...
    Today, 06:01 AM
  • guiri
    Reply to Where can I find help with vehicle graphic design?
    guiri
    ISitude, thanks. You know, things would be soo much simpler if people just did what they're supposed to. ESPECIALLY if they have gotten paid. Oh well. Anyway, wraps are cool as hell and although I really...
    Today, 05:30 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to My Life in Typefaces - Matthew Carter
    ISitude
    True that <b>. .. and Comic Sans is on most computers too ...sigh.

To me Zuzana's work is most notable because of the contribution to creating bitmap fonts from the most early days......
    Today, 03:46 AM
  • ISitude
    Reply to Where can I find help with vehicle graphic design?
    ISitude
    Sorry to read of your woes guiri, I agree with the comments above.

I'm currently doing a wrap design (my first one ever ) for tricked out minibus. Awesome canvas for me to be working with....
    Today, 03:24 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to EFI printers? Anyone have any experience?
    PrintDriver
    I've been using VUTEk printers since before they became part of EFI. They've always been top tier machines, though not necessarily the top of the top. I don't know this one personally and have never seen...
    Today, 02:02 AM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I raised my first name and adjusted the stem of the y slightly.
    Attached Files

Comment

• You're getting there. The stem of the "y" should be the same thickness as the stem leading up from the "z" to the "e", it's a small detail but you should try and perfect your own personal logo to the enth degree.

Comment

• I remember making the stem bigger so it didn't blend in with the e. It looks better the same thickness as other characters, thanks. Any other final touches needed?
        Attached Files

Comment

• It'll pass muster, but to make it really sing you have to spend more time polishing the 10% of things that need fixing.

The main issues are kerning related. The gaps around the 'l' in Tyler are quite noticeable. But to tighten this up would move other things out of alignment, like the 'y'. This is where you need time and patience to tweak the individual glyphs themselves so everything flows smoothly.

Another issue is that some of the stems are quite large, and create some awkward negative space. Consider the gap between the 'a' and 'z' and how it fits nicely together. However, the gap between the 'o' and the 'n' creates a big chunk of white space next to the n, because of that stem.

So in short, its pretty good, but It's still got issues, and they will remain unless you're prepared to roll your sleeves up and prod and poke and buff and shine until its a thing of beauty.

Comment

• Hi I think I fixed all the kerning issues, let me know what you think? I also thickened the strick of the y stem and z stem so it reduces better. Thanks for all the help.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Not bad. Only thing I notice that seems "off". The "n" looks small compared to the rest of "Deazon," making the word seem to taper toward the right. I wonder whether it would help to stretch the bottom and top points just a little -- not stretching the whole letter but just moving the anchor points a little. Might look awful, might look better. Dunno.

Comment

• I made the n slightly bigger. The bottom one has the z the same size as the rest. I have a display italic of the same font and in it the z and n are slightly smaller and above the base line? Is that because it is the display version? Which do you think is better, thanks?
                Attached Files

Comment

• Rdan,

At this point you are only tweaking to suit someone else's taste. I would call it a day and consider this your final logo/wordmark. Now you can concentrate on what you do best, which is web design.

Keep in mind your progress has been appreciated, because you obviously heeded the professional advice given you.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdan173 View Post
                    Which do you think is better, thanks?
                    I prefer the latter. Use your design eye -- how do you think they compare?
                    Originally posted by richdawg View Post
                    At this point you are only tweaking to suit someone else's taste.
                    Not taste but opinion. Which is kinda the point of critiquing. :-} The design doesn't suit my tastes at all but I do my best to disregard that and look at it from an artistically neutral point of view.
                    Last edited by Meffy; 05-27-2012, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Extend the 'n' so the foot's bottom curve sits fractionally below the baseline, which should align with your 'ea' - elongate the straight bit, don't start trying to alter the foot itself. That will hopefully clear up Meffy's concern.

Comment

• I liked the bottom one too. I was going to choose that one unless others disagreed. I will try moving curve down, but I did make it bigger already It was slightly smaller in the display italics version just like the z. I wouldnt have noticed these spacing issues but I really noticed the improvement placing the old and new side by side, thanks. Maybe my eye for this will be improved for later projects.

Comment

• Letter with curved elements in their lower half (such as c, d, o, p, u, and so on) should generally sit slightly below the baseline. This is so the negatve space created by their curves is minimised.

More here: http://www.typographydeconstructed.com/baseline/

Personally I think it looks more polished now, and theres not a whole lot more tweaking you can do.

Comment

• Hi I increased the leading slightly to make the y stem show up better when reduced. I lowered the curve of the n slightly and did the same with the z -- Paj said do curved letters should do this and the z has alot of negative space under its curve. Let me know what you think? Thanks I'm learning a lot.
                            Attached Files

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X