Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Can anyone help identifying this script typeface?
    KitchWitch
    Hi Eann and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything...
    Today, 03:00 PM
  • Pat Angelo
    Reply to Laptop Bags
    Pat Angelo
    Yeah,go to shop and choose a suitable.
    Today, 01:32 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Christmas cards
    PrintDriver
    Yeah, it's too bad new designers don't know them.
    I had a couple sub-vendor printers go completely offline for two weeks in November due to a Christmas crush. They didn't take any new orders for...
    Today, 01:07 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Comment on Christmas cards
    PrintDriver
    You shouldn't be looking on google images... at least not without expecting to pursue permission to use the images. Google images is NOT a stock site, though some stock shows up in it.

There...
    Today, 01:01 PM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    PrintDriver
    Very strange. You want someone to tell you how to set up a site so YOU will benefit?
    The Graphic Design part sounds like it will be very important to the success of your site.
    How much money...
    Today, 12:54 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you're heading in the wrong direction.

Plus I hate Tempus Sans.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Ali-oh-dear!, Sammie, Cosmo and Meffy good, solid advice.

True G, Infinity and Bosstez31 your thoughts on this differ from my own by close to 180 degrees.

Ryan, do you have any professional design training behind you? I get the impression that you're just winging it.

Comment

I still have some classes to take covering logo digital illustration, so I have shyed away from logo design work. I will return to the brainstorming stage and try to come up with some less literal ideas to represent myself.

Comment

Here is how my web portfolio is looking, it is still under construction. Maybe you have some direction for me for my logo from this? Thanks for the critiques.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rdan173 View Post
            Here is how my web portfolio is looking, it is still under construction. Maybe you have some direction for me for my logo from this? Thanks for the critiques.
            Ahhh, okay. That puts your first logo into context with your site. By itself, the logo looks a bit dated, conservative and old-fashioned. When viewed as part of your site, it becomes part of the overall design, which really doesn't strike me as dated at all.

Keep in mind though, that the logo will have to stand on its own if you plan on printing up business cards, stationery, invoices and various other collateral materials. Of course, if all those things matched your site too, that would be really a nice thing. Just my own way of doing things, maybe, but I've always viewed the logo as something of a stand-alone mark that's neutral enough to fit into most any design that fits the overall branding of the organization. Your logo matches right down to the italic typeface and color scheme. That really locks you into to a certain look that, if you decide to change it, might necessitate also changing your logo, which in some ways, defeats the purpose of having a logo.

I'm curious about the web site all those curves, graphics and irregularly places blocks of text make the site look like a big Photoshop image instead of the boxes inside of boxes look of HTML/CSS-built sites. It strikes me as being more of a print layout than a website.

As for the logo, I'd give up on the North America map and orbiting computer monitor that looks like it's attached with some sort of plumbing to Central America. Honestly, it's a bit strange. Usually with logos, it seems to work best to think in terms of black and white shapes that are sketched out on paper, then refined. They can be awfully abstract and simple, and that's just fine as long as you end up with a nice, aesthetically pleasing mark that matches the tone of your business. I wouldn't start playing around with coloring up the logo until I got it working in black and white not grayscale, but black and white. You'll find some fairly strong opinions on that approach from some of the more seasoned designers here.

Comment

Thanks for your critique of my web and logo together it is very useful. I was thinking of adding some of the background elements to my business card. The webpage I showed is complete in html 5. I used proper css and semantic markup. I just used absolute positioned background images for all the swirls (no tables). The webpage is just on my local server right now.

For making a stand alone mark. I will keep working at it but I do not have my degree or enough practice yet. I will start from scratch on the logo, and see if I can come up with a logo that will stand alone and match my web identity. If not I guess I will stick with my current one and work in some elements of my web into BC and stationary.

Comment

For your first logo, Ryan is kerned much more tightly than Daniels. It looks weird.

I agree your first logo looks better when put in context with the rest of your site. You just have to make sure your business cards and stationary are designed with the same theme as your site.
                "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
                -Steve Jobs

Comment

I have to disagree about adding a gradient to the logo, that would be bad.

as far as the logos you posted after I gave my crit, I think you kind of went in the wrong direction. :/

The font your keeping with your logo still is giving me the feeling of something childish.

Although and I know others have mentioned this, looking at your original logo on your site, I must say it does look a little better than when it stands alone.

Comment

Hi, I can see that the font I'm using (playfair display) is a formal looking font. I wanted it to look more artistic with the swashes. I think the curves and ball serifs match my webs icons of a computer wireless symbol and paintbrush. I bumped the a up to the screen because I thought it looks more intresting and tightens kerning.

I added a kabel font and painterly computer icon. Let me know any more suggestions like just a sans serif, or could I transform letter to add perspective or big to small rotate a word, to make it more interesting? Thanks, for all the critiques.
                    Attached Files

Comment

honestly I haven't seen much development and you seem to be spinning your wheels here. I'd go back to the sketchpad and generate a ton of concepts before you move to the computer.

Comment

I really don't think you need the computer at all. Seriously.

Comment

I think its to complex, try to make it simpler. I agree with the others that the font its not working. I think you had something better at the beginning when you tried with just the screen, id suggest to take that path better but with more work.

Comment

Sorry i didn't see your latest work, i like the font at the last one, that works much better, but the screen its not working yet, try it in a different way, if it doesn't work, start all over again, sketching and generating cocnepts

Comment

Thanks I will try to re-work. Most likely I should start over? Maybe just a wordmark with no computer?

Comment

Originally posted by rdan173 View Post
                                Thanks I will try to re-work. Most likely I should start over? Maybe just a wordmark with no computer?
                                That would be my advice.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X