Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally think it's time to go back to the drawing board. None of them are working at all for me.

Get a pencil and some paper and do some sketching.
    http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

I think I will take a break for a while and finish my website. Then I can come back with some fresh ideas. Thanks for the honest feedback.

Comment

I just had a question if people had aprovlem with both the concept and design? I did see two freelance designers with a monitor in logo. One had it as a head and other with three icons paper, folder and monitor.

Comment

I just don't think you need to be so literal.

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

I returned to the drawing board and I have some less literal and more abstract symbols. Let me know if any of these work and which ones are the best? Thanks for your time.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by rdan173; 04-30-2012, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Theyre not bad on their own, but not great for a logo. As they aren't solid shapes, they look quite busy and will get lost at smaller sizes.

You also seem to have a fixation on brown and orange. Nothing wrong with that, but you need to be aware of what these colours might mean. A lot of people associate these colours with tradition, sepia photos, old fashioned things, days gone by. Perhaps not the most appropriate choice for a web designer, who deals with cutting edge technologies every day - it creates dissonance. Your typography and imagery choices, as well as your current site layout, only reinforce this.

Most of these designs are similar executions of the same idea. Instead of sticking with it, try doing something completely different. Do a modern logo, a futuristic logo, a classic logo, a logo with typography only. Play and explore, see what works, what doesnt. Have a look at logopond.com for some more inspiration.

Comment

I think Cosmo will want one of those Smilies banging it's head against a wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Paj View Post
                    You also seem to have a fixation on brown and orange. Nothing wrong with that, but you need to be aware of what these colours might mean. A lot of people associate these colours with tradition, sepia photos, old fashioned things, days gone by. Perhaps not the most appropriate choice for a web designer, who deals with cutting edge technologies every day - it creates dissonance.

This^

They aren't the most appropriate colours for someone who's dealing in web design and technology, they're drab and very boring. Those colours don't instill any feeling of excitement or provide a contemporary sense. These colours might have been ok if you were starting out in the early 80's.

I'd reconsider the colours you're using, and don't use the excuse that it's the colour of your website. Something like this is worth putting in the time to alter other elements of your business.

Regarding the most recent images you provided, drop them. They've nothing to do with what you're trying to promote about yourself. Think about what you do, what services you'll provide, how you want to be percieved by the public (Butterflies are not the answer).

Try posting images of your sketches next time, so we can have a better idea of your thought process. It's hard to judge whether or not the images you're showing are found images on the net, or ones you've done yourself.

Comment

My scanner doesnt work I guess I could take apicture of my sketches. All my sketches and ideas are my own though. I know brown is for reliability and red I think is the most common color for design because of passion which I had on my last website. Orange can represent passion maybe with a grey background because grey can mean sophistication and looks good with orange. Having a reliable wesite/designer is a good thing. For the butterfly I think it could represent design beauty. It would represent graphic design better than web design I agree.

Comment

Did anybody see two books making up the butterfly kinda like the two faces and vase idea? Books are to represent print design.

Comment

rdan I'd like to make a suggestion. Abstract shapes encite feelings - ie flowing lines/shapes feel calm and lyrical, jagged shapes can connote fear, menace or anger... you want to get a little abstract here. You are illustrating your logo. Stop thinking objects, (ie: a butterfly) means this or that, a butterfly can be all sweet and nice or you can draw it in a way that is utterly menacing. It is the abstract shapes (positive and negative) that indicate this. This is the visual language. Ditto color.
                          Try to take a big step back and start over, but this time from your gut, not your mind, with a paper and pencil, and with no deadline hanging over your head. See what comes out of your hands and work from there.

Comment

Originally posted by rdan173 View Post
                            Did anybody see two books making up the butterfly kinda like the two faces and vase idea? Books are to represent print design.
                            You are still being way too literal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel B View Post
                              See what comes out of your hands and work from there.
                              ^This is the most effective part IMO, especially since you kind of know what you want, just let your subconscious deal with the elements

Comment

Hi, thanks for the help. The advice from rachel.b makes alot of sense about the abstract shapes being important. I looked through one of my logo books and my dancing man/butterfly is already used for a plastic surgury company. It's filled in alternating colors, I understand a logo has to have visual wieght to be effective not outlined. I saw another one with a dragon fly and just one wing is a bank card for an atm company.

I saw in Logo Love design book that literal is ok as long as it is subtle. I think most of my sketches aren't simple enough. The example in the book was an internationale pharmaceutical company and the lower case i was a pill. It comes across as a interesting shape first then after a couple secs a pill. I can try doing some more abstract concepts or just drawing and see what happens. Thanks for the critiques.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X