Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rdan I think everyone works differently - but what I do is let ideas percolate, put it aside for a few days, come back at it from a different angle. Let it be more of an evolution, my subconscious / unconscious plays a big part in logo design.
    Also when I'm sketching the act of sketching gives me ideas. Don't want to insult you - perhaps you already know this, but if not you may want to incorporate it into the way you work.

Comment

Yes I know of this way of working, sometimes I try to force a piece to work and it usually does turn out better when I return to it later. I guess my logos are expressing a feeling or essence of me or web design. This last one has a face and brain/cloud and a sun around my D initial. Do these symbols or shapes not express enough. Should I explore this concept more. I also sketched a more stylized version of the computer/palette. Any advice you could give me for these two concepts or the execution.

Comment

it's just that your marks are talking about it rather than transmitting a direct feeling of what you want to say. I find them all too busy and nothing is transmitted. Simple it down. What is it you want to communicate to people with this logo?
        Not from your brain from your gut. What are people supposed to feel when they see it?

Comment

The feelings are optimisum with the sun. The customer can think the sky is the limits for their business by adding or improving their web presence. I can try to flesh out more of an explanation of myself and what I can provide. I brainstormed words and feelings like this that my customers can think of my business providing.

Comment

A journey on the high seas, around Africa, from Cape Town to Egypt. Are you a sailor, rdan?

RB is right, you're way over thinking all this. Take a look at your attempts and then place them next to successful existing logos you like, and this will highlight where you're going wrong. Until you are able to visualize where you're going wrong i don't think all the words on this whole forum are going to teach you anything.

Comment

Stop being so literal.

Simplify.

Is there an echo in here?
              http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

I will put it aside for a few days and consider all the advice. Thanks again I know I can be a slow learner with design.

Comment

Hi Cosmo or anybody could Isimplified one of my designs likexthe computer/palette and abstracted it. But make sure it conveys a strong feeling. I am just going to review some books and logos for now. I came across a logo with a arrow ascending a mountain shape for a web consulting company. Which is better than a computer standing on top of a mountain like is something I come up with. Do you have any advice for any of my past logos on how to simplify them. Should I just stick to shapes and simple symbols?

Comment

Sweetie you really need an art/design background to do this. It looks simple but it's not. It's what we get paid for.

Comment

• I know Paul Rand said graphic design is so hard because it is so simple. Just like a car engine is made up many systems each made by many mnay simple pieces.

Comment

• I was looking through my book again its like logo anthology. There is a logo for a german site with illustration, not sure cause its german. It has artillery in the name and it has a tank and an artists palette. Its not so much different than my concept except it cleverly uses the dabs of each color as the wheels in the track. I've been looking through this bool after I came up with my concepts btw.

Comment

• In one of my earlier sketches I made a couple paint dabs to look like the bowl in an e and the thumb hole as the counter because my last name starts with De not Da(didn't want my real last name on internet).

Comment

• Here is my abstracted version of the palette and computer screen with initials TD. Please offer another critique for me.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• The simplification is headed in the right direction. What I can't figure is why you've changed your name at this point, to a sort of anagram. It's an odd choice with negative connetations - not to say just plain confusing. Unless you're sticking with this and never intend to change, I'd keep working on your original name.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdan173 View Post
                                Here is my abstracted version of the palette and computer screen with initials TD. Please offer another critique for me.
                                Too many ideas in one logo.

There are many lovely colours of paint in the world, but if you mix too many of them together, you end up with a horrible brown colour.

Same thing with food - if you combined all your favourite dishes into one bowl, the end result would be a horrible tasting, sloppy mess.

Roth hit it on the head too - why do you even NEED a graphic? Could you not pick a lovely, elegant font as the basis for a wordmark?

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X