Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Logo for a Web/Graphic Desginer Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Search Search Module
Collapse

Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Featured Images Featured Images Module
Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

  • megoggsc
    Reply to Oh Portland!
    megoggsc
    Thank you Billy! I am still working on it, but here is the version that I meant to upload. I emphasized the Portland sign a little more in this one. ...
    Today, 02:49 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to Oh Portland!
    BillyLogan
    Great work! My only concern is that it does not seem to have a focus subject on it. Add something really cool or highlight something you want to emphasize. Aside from that, I find it really artistically...
    Today, 01:45 AM
  • BillyLogan
    Reply to How to choose a good graphic design for a web design company?
    BillyLogan
    Designing is both a skill and a talent. It is naturally God-given but you can study about it some more to enhance it. I suggest that you go and study first about the basics, line, color, typography and...
    Today, 01:43 AM
  • megoggsc
    Oh Portland!
    megoggsc
    This is something fun I did to remember my trip to Portland!...
    Today, 12:36 AM
  • Buda
    Reply to Howdy from Texas!
    Buda
    What is the project and what is the product? Most companies protect their copyright quite vigourously. Even if you don't get caught, there's always a chance.

    Could your project be considered...
    Yesterday, 11:46 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tyler is my real first name my last name starts with d
    D and is same number of letters. Just don't want to put my real name, sorry for the confusion. I have gotten some advice for a wordmark I guess its more like a personal signature that way. I thought a graphic might match my website with all the background graphics.

    What if I made the graphic bigger and put my name in simple font underneath it. Or use the graphic and wordmark separatly. I also had a reversed d and d to make up the mark and used it in my last name so it is more combimed with my name. What do you think?

    Comment


    • As a combination mark.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • Hi Paj, do you mean in the mark there is too many ideas? There are my initials, a computer screen, paint palette, cute robot. I may just do a wordmark but I would still like to learn where I am going wrong with this mark.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by rdan173 View Post
          Hi Paj, do you mean in the mark there is too many ideas? There are my initials, a computer screen, paint palette, cute robot. I may just do a wordmark but I would still like to learn where I am going wrong with this mark.
          You've answered your own question

          If someone asked me to combine those elements into a logo, I would advise them to cut back. You can still have a very evocative logo and keep it visually simple.

          Consider the Apple logo - a very simple shape. But an apple as a symbol has many diverse meanings. It can mean knowledge, learning, nutrition and health, school, teacher's pet, Adam and Eve, gravity, science and discovery.

          Its a great logo for a technology company, and their products represent many of these derived meanings. All from two really simple shapes. They could combine a book, a blackboard, a guy exercising, a school bus, a teacher, the tree of knowledge, Isaac Newton, a test tube and a telescope into one graphic - but they don't need to.

          The apple represents them them all, simply elegantly and efficiently. Being complex and busy is easy. Getting that level of simplicity is difficult.

          Have a read about propositional density. The trick is to keep the graphic as simple as it can be, while having as high a propositional density as possible.

          Comment


          • Great article Paj, he also does one on the Gestalt Principles which is quite good as well.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Paj View Post
              Consider the Apple logo - a very simple shape. But an apple as a symbol has many diverse meanings. It can mean knowledge, learning, nutrition and health, school, teacher's pet, Adam and Eve, gravity, science and discovery.
              Except Steve Jobs came up with the company name while at an apple orchard and decided to go with it because the company would be listed first alphabetically. There's absolutely no creative meaning behind it, despite some rumors.
              "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
              -Steve Jobs

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Sketcher View Post
                Except Steve Jobs came up with the company name while at an apple orchard and decided to go with it because the company would be listed first alphabetically. There's absolutely no creative meaning behind it, despite some rumors.
                Apple advertising campaigns have lost their creativity over the years as well.
                "Byte into an Apple" (Late 1970s) - "Get a Mac" (2006-2009)

                Comment


                • Thanks for the helpfull article paj. I wonder if a simpler version of the computer mark would work (without intials or just D). I can upload something later. I also had a sketch of the computer growing from a spiral stem to represent growth or nuturing a business on the web. One sketch the stem and leaves looks like a hand in a-ok position, but it must be too much going on there. Do you think my concept can work or do I need one element like just a computer or apple.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by rdan173 View Post
                    Thanks for the helpfull article paj. I wonder if a simpler version of the computer mark would work (without intials or just D). I can upload something later. I also had a sketch of the computer growing from a spiral stem to represent growth or nuturing a business on the web. One sketch the stem and leaves looks like a hand in a-ok position, but it must be too much going on there. Do you think my concept can work or do I need one element like just a computer or apple.
                    I feel like I'm wasting my breath here, but here goes...

                    Again, SIMPLIFY...
                    http://brokenspokedesign.com

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Sketcher View Post
                      Except Steve Jobs came up with the company name while at an apple orchard and decided to go with it because the company would be listed first alphabetically. There's absolutely no creative meaning behind it, despite some rumors.
                      Retroactive continuity!

                      Even though you are most likely correct, the very first Apple logo featured Isaac Newton in it.

                      Comment


                      • That last set there, I had no idea what it was supposed to be a "D", I read it as Tyler Genitals, at first.

                        "May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

                        Comment


                        • Here is a version similar to my first logo but more abstracted. The lines can represent motion or the information highway(internet). Wanted a motion blur look with solid lines. If it is too complicated I will also post some simplified versions of the mark I already uploaded.
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • I can see looking back at this logo after a day that it is way to complex and busy. Here are my simpler versions.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • Usually just a name is fine for a design company. But when your name is a real English word, it looks weird. I'd back off with the obsession of turning your initials into a forced shape, it's not necessary.

                              Comment


                              • I think you need to get away with the obsession of turning an initial into a symbol. It's not working at all.
                                http://brokenspokedesign.com

                                Comment

                                Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc.
                                Working...
                                X