Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KitchWitch
    Reply to Re Branding my personal logo.
    KitchWitch
    Hi Sbower and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
    Today, 05:29 PM
  • MC_Dubuque
    Graphic Designer | Dubuque, Iowa
    MC_Dubuque
    McCullough Creative is looking for a Graphic Designer who is enthusiastic, believes in the power of creativity, and has a drive to succeed. You will be challenged to produce fresh design across many mediums....
    Today, 04:40 PM
  • subdrewgans
    Reply to Personal Icon/Logo
    subdrewgans
    Simplify everything.

Is this scalable
    Does it work in one color
    As PrintDriver mentioned above, the text is just now working.
    Today, 04:20 PM
  • subdrewgans
    subdrewgans
    These all look like the same concept, just with the text in different places. Try coming up with 3 very different concepts for your logo and then pick the best one and expand on that.

Also...
    Today, 04:17 PM
  • kemingMatters
    kemingMatters
    IMHO 3-5 are out because the icon isn't clearly SB, at first glance it looks like it could be a marble, a ghost or a duck in a circle. I find the period to be a touch distracting in the remaining versions....
    Today, 04:13 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I improve my flyer design skills?

These are not complete flyers, I'm just not sure what to add to them. I feel like I want to actually draw some of the designs in the photos and make them look more "3-d" versus just using images found on the internet.
    Attached Files

This would probably serve better in the crit pit?
    "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by bosstez31 View Post
      These are not complete flyers, I'm just not sure what to add to them. I feel like I want to actually draw some of the designs in the photos and make them look more "3-d" versus just using images found on the internet.
      I'd be leery about just stealing any image you find off of the internet and plunking it into a flyer. If you don't have permission/licensing for an image used you could be tempting a legal tsunami.

To make them more "3D" you need to understand and use the principles of perspective. (an understanding of lighting and colour theory could help you make things appear more 3D also)
      Design is not decoration.

Comment

Yea for example with lighting, having the big light orb in the back, wouldnt allow the people in the front to be completely visible, you would start to see a silhouette forming.

what exactly is this flyer for ?

Comment

Well, here's a little advice...

When you design a flyer (or any other piece for that matter), you are designing it to communicate a message. Whether that message is "buy something" or "come to this event" or "don't shop here" or whatever, you need to know from the start what your message is. If you don't, there is no way you can effectively communicate to the person viewing your work.
          http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
            Yea for example with lighting, having the big light orb in the back, wouldnt allow the people in the front to be completely visible, you would start to see a silhouette forming.

what exactly is this flyer for ?

Yea the light orb was just something I was playing with but the flyer is for a showcasing of a few pieces from the designer at an open house kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by kemingMatters View Post
              I'd be leery about just stealing any image you find off of the internet and plunking it into a flyer. If you don't have permission/licensing for an image used you could be tempting a legal tsunami.

To make them more "3D" you need to understand and use the principles of perspective. (an understanding of lighting and colour theory could help you make things appear more 3D also)
              Yea your right, is it true that images found on google are free for use or no? I don't want to get in trouble for using anything without permission.

The image below is a perfect flyer, but I fear that I don't posssess nearly the amount of skills that this designer does. I need to learn how to make more freelance items instead of taking them from online.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
                Well, here's a little advice...

When you design a flyer (or any other piece for that matter), you are designing it to communicate a message. Whether that message is "buy something" or "come to this event" or "don't shop here" or whatever, you need to know from the start what your message is. If you don't, there is no way you can effectively communicate to the person viewing your work.

Thanks alot!

Comment

Yea your right, is it true that images found on google are free for use or no?
                  Definitely no.

Go to the page where an image you want to use comes from and see what the copyright statement is for that site. Contact the copyright holder to ask for or to buy permission to reuse it.

Comment

You can use them for practice but anything that is going out into the world you'll need permission.

Comment

When speaking of logos, it's not copyright that's the problem. It's Trademarking. It's a whole different animal. Well, at least the spots are different.
                      Sure 15 designers given the same brief will come up with possibly quite similar ideas. If the idea is original, and doesn't infringe on the trademark of another company in the same industry you usually fair pretty well on passing the concept. It can, unfortunately, be a regional issue, what state you happen to be in business, what trade your business is, and how big the holder of the largest company with a similar mark is. If one cave man sells insurance, and another builds computers, two different industries, no trade dilution (as long as the cave men are different, independently arrived at means to and end.)

Comment

I'ma let you finish but Ligers are the greatest 3d big-cats of all time.

Comment

Yea the light orb was just something I was playing with but the flyer is for a showcasing of a few pieces from the designer at an open house kind of thing.
                          A flyer for an open house would include dates, times, location, a contact number, details about the event and the name of the event. It's good that you're looking at other flyers to learn what works and what doesn't. Keep at it!

If you find an image through google that you want to use, trace it back to the owner/photographer and ask. Sometimes it's that easy. You would need to explain how you want to use the photo, whether you would be making money from it or not, etc.
                          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

The freelance items on that flyer you posted (the one you like, and consider the designer to have more skills than you) could be easily made with just Illustrator and a couple of 3D objects.
                            It has a few photoshop brushes, some filter (lightning effects) also made on photoshop.
                            If I were you, and I would be doing flyers; I would get my tools together at first. Get photoshop brushes, maybe some easy-to-use 3D software, some textures, and a few colour palettes that feel right for the kind of work you need to do.
                            And from there I would start sketching.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                            Working...
                            X