Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designing a Beer Brand

Hi everybody

Ive been working on a logo for a beer called "Einherjar".. The idea its to aim to Nordic countries as in their mythology "Einherjar" its the name of warriors who died in battle and are reborn in heaven to train to get ready for the end of the world bla bla bla....... I'm posting both bottle and logo. The word at the bottom in the bottle its one of the nine worlds in Nordic Mythology. This one its like their hell, its cold and dark that's why I chose it to represent the black beer. The red and blonde one also have a name of one of those worlds which relates to the color of each. I though this in order to create the system. In the logo I use a warriors helmet with Nordic style.

Ill appreciate a lot all the feedback you guys can provide, thanks a lot.
    Attached Files

so thats a die cut label on the beer?

Comment

Yeah, that's the idea

Comment

I like the idea, but you're going to have a hard time getting a label like that applied to a beer bottle.
        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Yeah, you are right, im not to aware the production stuff in the area. So what about if I kept the design but printed in a label that would cover most of the bottle, would that work?
          Attached Files

Comment

Or maybe something more like this would work better ?
            Attached Files

Comment

I think the second one is cool because the neck of the bottle looks like the blade of the sword.

Comment

I've never done any beer bottle design, but I'm pretty sure there are rules you need to follow about what information is required on the bottle and how much space it's supposed to take up. Make sure your design doesn't conflict with these rules.
                "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
                -Steve Jobs

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcher View Post
                  I'm pretty sure there are rules you need to follow about what information is required on the bottle and how much space it's supposed to take up. Make sure your design doesn't conflict with these rules.
                  Correct. The rules vary from country to country, but in the US, the rules would come from the FDA. Point sizes and placement of mandatory info is strictly regulated.

In terms of production of the label, the die-cut versions will be an issue. The version where you have covered the entire bottle might work, but it is difficult to see what the label does at the base of the bottle. Depending on what material your label is printed on, it may not be possible to butt the curved bottle base.

There will be specs and restrictions determined by the labeling/bottling company for how close to the bottom edge your label can be, as well as tolerances for how close to the top of the neck.

Is this a school project or will it actually be produced?

Tip: Do not forget the bottle-cap design.
                  Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

This is a school project, but you guys are right I must consider this specifications about the info that its suppose to be found and other production stuff, Ill look up for that.

About the production thing, Ive taken advice's you guys have given me and Im presenting another idea which i think will be easier to produce and a design for a can. Im glad that at least nobody has said that it doesn't look like the logo for a beer or something like that

So, does it look better, would you drink it?
                    Attached Files

Comment

I like the idea of using the whole bottle as your work space in the first one. You could use a heat shrink label to get it on the bottle instead of diecut.

Comment

heat shrink label??? i didn't know how was it called, so is this how, for example, Absolut creates the design for a whole bottle??? Because they have some really good ones that use the whole area.

Comment

Actually I've found that Absolute screen prints their bottles (A daunting idea to do for a school project. Believe me, I've considered it.) The problem with the heat shrink labels is unless you have access to professional printing equipment you cant print White since they are clear.
                          An alternative to heat shrink is to use water slide decals. I ended up using these for my project when I wanted to print on a glass bottle. But also with these, they are clear so you still cant print white.

Comment

I like the concept, everything except that wing/ax thing attached to the E. If it was me, I'd make the white parts silver foil and add some more details to the weapons instead of just having thick silhouettes.

Post #6 seems like the best combo of style and real-world applicability.

Comment

You also have to design differently for heat shrink labels. Remember, they shrink. And they shrink more in some parts than others.

For a school project, I would stay away from specialized processes. Unless you have a lot of time and money to burn...
                              http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X