Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• kemingMatters
    Reply to Happy Last Friday of August!!!
    kemingMatters
    While I'm sad to see it fall to the wayside I can understand. IMHO the forum has been slowing down quite a bit lately; a lot of regulars aren't as active anymore. I think we've been in decline since the...
    Today, 04:17 PM
  • Red Kittie Kat
    Happy Last Friday of August!!!
    Red Kittie Kat
    I'm sorry to say the Friday Post is going on hiatus for a while. It's getting progressively difficult to make it entertaining for all of you. However if you happen to be a part of or see a thread that...
    Today, 03:44 PM
  • deniedaccess
    Reply to Adding Music to Graphics
    deniedaccess
    I'm using CS6 and have the timeline open but I don't see any options for that. Just the usual play/stop/new frame options.
    Today, 03:31 PM
  • Carlo
    Reply to Adding Music to Graphics
    Carlo
    See that you have your timeline panel open, it's under the window menu. In the timeline you can add audio depending on the version of photoshop you have
    Today, 03:25 PM
  • Cosmo
    Reply to Client hasn't paid and is using my website!!
    Cosmo
    This is why whenever I build a site for someone it goes up on my server. It only moves to their sever after they have paid.
    Today, 03:11 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrintDriver View Post
    Then why is their site name registered in Scotsdale AZ?

You might want to see what happens when you google the company name as ny43 design... You might be surprised.
    Weird, I googled and nothing shows up for scotsdale AZ. These guys are in glen falls. Oh i see what you mean, the AS number for their website, thats not the whois.. If you look further down in the registrar, it's them.

Comment

I don't think that's what he's talking about. Look at the first page of results again.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

for ny43 design.

Comment

im not following you guys, what am i missing here?

Comment

What's a gonna happen when your client googles their name:
            http://www.google.com/search?q=ny43+...ient=firefox-a

Comment

okay for ny43designs i see some interesting stuff. looks like my client has done logos n stuff. either way they approached me meaning they probably need help, so i cant complain. money matters.

Comment

number one is your thread asking for a critique on your "client's" logo...

Comment

im not seeing the problem there still. why would my client have an issue if they see im asking for critique or is that what you're saying?

Comment

Yes. Some clients wouldn't feel comfortable with their company logo being subject of an online critique.

The contour lines still make me think airlines, I didn't really know which ones in particular, but I guess the Singapore one since that is the airline I've flown on from Sammie's example.

It's up to you to come up with ideas. We can give you advice, but any ideas you get from here, expect to part with bacon.
                    It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

ah okay, thanks.

yeah i'll try to see what the client has to say and show them the singapore airlines and see how it goes from there. thanks

Comment

Like PD said, we aren't going to provide you concepts, only advice.

Your thought methodology is all wrong, you want people to sit and contemplate on what the logo could be? No, you want them to get the logo's message straight away. You're a graphic designer, someone who has to communicate through images in the most efficient way possible. This isn't fine art.

Why would you show them the airlines logo? They're expecting you to be the resourceful one.

K.I.S.S = Keep It Simple Stupid. It's what I usually live by. (I wasn't calling you stupid by the way).

I'd try drumming up new ideas, the ones here I personally think aren't strong enough. You'll get there, just keep persevering.

Comment

I agree with most of the criticism offered. I think you should take an entirely fresh approach on this. My suggestion is to start by dropping the notion of New York symbolism, at least for the moment.

I think you should begin using just the basic elements of the name, NY43. I suggest that you spend time making roughs of the various ways these characters could be presented. This does not mean just setting them up in different fonts. This means exploring various distinctive presentations of these characters. See what you can come up with. Sketching—doodling out the problem— is where your initial time should be spent.

I've designed a lot of logos and it is easy to run into a deadend. As a precaution against that, I have found at the sketching stage of the design's development, it is good to work within self-imposed limitations. What I mean by that is work for a while using nothing but the NY43. After exhausting yourself on that, explore the possibility of an abstract form that can could give a distinctive look. Then go on to another design parameter. Remember that your design does not have to explain everything about the company it is representing. However, it has to be distinctive and simple to have impact. To prove that point, think of the simplicity of the IBM or the Radio Shack logos.
                          Last edited by sully1251; 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM.
                          http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

Speaking as a New Yorker I can attest that while Niagra Falls and the Chrysler building both may be in the same state, they are in different planets.

It's a fairly big state for the east coast, but even more diverse in terrain, climate, culture and other features. The east of Long Island is pretty much New England and the west by the Great lakes is pretty much the midwest. NYC is a thing all its own. The northern bits beyond the Adirondacks is Occupied Canada.
                            Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

i guess i'm just aiming for a simple yet smart looking logo
                              This describes nearly every logo ever made.

My point was that if you just throw in elements without rhyme or reason, you are not "designing" anything, you are just mixing spaghetti and hoping for a meal.

Good design is making sure that each element of a piece communicates and solves a communication problem. Not only that, but the gestalt of the piece does this as well. If you want to make pretty pictures, go into fine art, graphic design is more akin to architecture.

1. Define your clients communication need. (Research)

2. Sketch your ass off for a week, without editing, on paper, with every idea you can conceive to supply the above communication need. (Thumbnails)

3. Comb over your sketches and pull out your best, most effective (NOT only what you think looks cool) solutions and draw iterations and variations on theme. (Rough draft)

4. Of the roughs, pick the two most effective pieces, turn on your computer, and draw black and white versions. Test these on envelopes, business cards, shirts, etc, etc. Look for ways that your b&w fails and look for solutions. (Comprehensive)

5. Once you have a couple of workable, flexible comps, work up a spot-color and 4-color process version for presentation to the client along with a design brief to explain your SOLUTION (not your "art").

6. Have a sammich.

Good luck to you.
                              Seriously, read this.

Comment

Originally posted by seamas View Post
                                Speaking as a New Yorker I can attest that while Niagra Falls and the Chrysler building both may be in the same state, they are in different planets.
                                +1

I would never connect Niagra Falls with NY State. (Grew up in NY) It's just up there somewhere near Canada. Nor would the Chrysler building really represent NY, much as I/we love it.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X