X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rdan173 View Post
    Can u make the loop in th lock to make it look like a house?
    Do this!

Comment

in your own words

Originally posted by infinity View Post
      I am by no means a professional photographer, and not even close to being a professional designer.
      i get that you are chomping at the bit to get out there and get your hands dirty but you need to slow down. your work is messy and does not show attention to detail. the latch in the lock is very uneven. you shouldn't be practicing on clients, its not fair to them.

"There's something about turning the pages of a book or magazine and the felling of rubbing your hands across the words."

This is my pen tool. There are many like it, but this one is MINE. My pen tool is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My pen tool without me is useless. Without my pen tool, I am useless.

there is no grey area when it comes to 1 color logos.

Comment

The house outline is almost the same shape as home plate in baseball--which would connect with the "Safe at home" but you have to be careful about not confusing potential clients.

Your compositions with the lightening bolt and the padlock are just about all awkward. They are either static from too much symmetry, or look very unbalanced.

In composition there is a definite sweet spot.
        I think a good reference for you would be Rudolph Arnheim's famous book
        Art and Visual Perception: A Psychology of the Creative Eye

It has in depth analysis of the basic building blocks of design/art:
        Form, Dynamics, Color, Composition, etc.
        It is an incredible resource.

Another book you should have and absorb is Jim Krause's Design Basics Index.

It wouldn't hurt to have his full series. they are a great value and can be a constant tool in rethinking or jumpstarting designs--or to aid in self-critique.

Now, on the whole I think the lightening bolt and the padlock are both telling me "danger" rather than safety.
        And sometimes a padlock says "crime" more than "protected".

I know the lightening bolt seems to be everywhere among Electricians' logos, but perhaps a more thorough investigation will yield imagery that connotes the safety aspect--or the professionalism of the business.

Comment

typically, on your comment of the pad lock being uneven, thats something within illustrator. I noticed it last night, I had redone the padlock, and the moved it around a couple times and noticed it was screwing up. I dont know what the problem is with that.

jg, that idea is out, its already been done in a different logo.

I was looking at other electrical symbols earlier today, trying to find something that could be used. I'm going to play around with that again and see what I can come up with.

how exactly does a padlock say "crime" more than protected? Normally padlocks are put on say a shed or something that you want to keep locked up to keep protected. Granted most of the padlock logos are more for security companies than anything, but still, "security" "safe" padlock" I don't really see "crime."

Looking at the logo I did notice that it was starting to look like it was trying to convey all the aspects of the name, and im trying to pull away from that with it.

Comment

typically, on your comment of the pad lock being uneven, thats something within illustrator. I noticed it last night, I had redone the padlock, and the moved it around a couple times and noticed it was screwing up. I dont know what the problem is with that.

jg, that idea is out, its already been done in a different logo.

I was looking at other electrical symbols earlier today, trying to find something that could be used. I'm going to play around with that again and see what I can come up with.

how exactly does a padlock say "crime" more than protected? Normally padlocks are put on say a shed or something that you want to keep locked up to keep protected. Granted most of the padlock logos are more for security companies than anything, but still, "security" "safe" padlock" I don't really see "crime."

Looking at the logo I did notice that it was starting to look like it was trying to convey all the aspects of the name, and im trying to pull away from that with it.
            In really safe neighborhoods, they don't have to put padlocks on everything in the first place. It's more 'secure' than 'safe' which isn't quite the same thing.

Comment

what would you suggest for making the house look less like home plate

Comment

what would you suggest for making the house look less like home plate

Not sure if you want to abandon that concept or not, but:

Houses have diferent roof profiles

There are:
                gable roof
                Gambrel roof
                Mansard roof
                Hip roof

Or just look at different standard home profiles:
                Cape Cod
                Four Square
                Bungalow
                Queen Anne
                Rancch

etc.

Comment

I'm working on some ideas with more of a safe dial rather than the pad lock idea. I see what your saying about safe neighborhoods, but when I was doing it I was thinking more along the line of keeping belonging safe, like keepsakes or something. I dont know maybe I wasnt thinking out side of the box enough.

thanks seamas I will look into those. I would like to keep the house idea just because thats what they do is go to peoples houses, alot of it is based around the home. I guess since its home electric safety, maybe I should pull away from the padlock and safe dial, and focus more on electrical safety, rather than just safety in general.

Comment

Why not make a hospital cross out of circuit lines? Doctors protect. I remember in a logo book seeing a house shape made out of circuits or wiring. So that wont work.

Comment

Ill give that idea a try too rdan.

ive seen quite a few logos made out of wiring and cords and such. and seen one logo that did like you said except they were using a modified version of the voltage, wattage, amperage symbols. ill work on that and see what I can come up with, thanks.

Comment

Just throwing it out there, but why not try something using a safe (the locking box you put valuables in)...

Think electrical history... Nikolai Tesla (AC), Thomas Edison (DC), coils, turbines, wind turbines, try to capture the feeling of getting an electrical shock – contrast that with the opposite (not getting shocked).

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is a lightning bolt, a lock and a house are reflex thinking, similar to if I asked you to draw a heart, you'd probably draw the shape seen on playing cards opposed to the organ itself.
                        Last edited by kemingMatters; 04-25-2012, 08:23 PM.
                        Design is not decoration.

Comment

I gotya kerning. Ill add that to my list of things to tweak with.

I have since pulled away from the house/lock idea. I've kept the bolt in a couple of my proofs, but am starting to pul away from that too.

Ill give the safe a try when I go back to tweaking and throwing ideas down.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is what you meant in your edit, but I was trying to think of a way of doing a play on contrast of meaning. like how you said, the feeling of getting shocked, with the opposite. I just am not sure how to pull that off without giving off the impression of the work done by the company being unsafe.

Comment

That's why you contrast it with the opposite, just don't over do the shocking part
                              Design is not decoration.

Comment

thats kind of what I was thinking. I just wasn't completely sure how to go about it.

I showed him some of my proofs. I will post them on here in a bit. he ended up picking a couple of them and wants me to combine them into one, so I'm working on that. Hopefully it can work out with being too busy, I guess we will see when I finish it.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                                Working...
                                X