Collapse

Mediabistro Creative Sites Mediabistro Creative Sites Module
Collapse
Latest Topics Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• Namibia
    Reply to business card design
    Namibia
    I will show you some updates. 2 variations.

The orange is on both sides of cards.
    I chose 10 QR code, because in it is Vcard.
    Companys name is on other side of card...
    Today, 05:08 AM
  • PrintDriver
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    PrintDriver
    If someone pulls a prank, they're the arse. Glad my boss doesn't take kindly to pranks. We have fun, of course, but anything that costs the company money? Not so much.
    Yesterday, 11:18 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to New design lover here
    Buda
    Welcome Sasa.
    Yesterday, 10:13 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to in need of urgent help
    Buda
    I agree, the borders are too heavy.

Don't stretch the text. Use it at 100% scale only.

Personally, I don't think you need vertical lines at all. Just horizontal rules would...
    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
  • Buda
    Reply to Business Card Critique
    Buda
    The back and the front look like branding for two completely different businesses.

What pt size is your contact details? It looks a bit too small from here. I wouldn't go under 8pt. You might...
    Yesterday, 10:09 PM
Advertisement Advertisement Module
Collapse

Sponsors Sponsors Module
Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crit: layout for magazine.

I was asked to design a layout for a small magazine, for which I developed a 12 column grid for versatility.
    The magazine is about tourism and travelling, they wanted a clean design, since they will work with a lot of information, and pictures. It aims for a mature audience with a medium to high economic level.

How do you guys feel about the font, legibility, palette, graphic system, margins, and leading? Micro-typography critique is always welcomed.

Text is simulated.

Sorry if I make typos. English is not my first language.

White text on light blue is going to be almost impossible to read. Dark blue on light blue isn't much better.

It depends on who your target market is. If old folks, you have to remember that in order for text to be legible it has to contrast well.

How are you crediting your photo images? I don't see any captions or by-lines.

Be sure to consider your binding on your inside margin and creep on your outside. Your margins are very tight to the edges of the page.

If you are going to have info-graphics, be sure the info is not lost due to small text or element size.

Comment

Thank you for your time, PrintDriver.

I'll try to do something about that white text on 40% Cyan I think it is.

At first they told me that photos were going to be credited at the end of each chapter, but they are not quite sure yet. I can always leave two lines and make a new style for photo credits.

Will consider the margins as well, as also see them a little too tight.

The graphic is simulated also, but I'll later import the real one to see how it fits.

Comment

The palette isn't enticing at all, it's cold and sterile. It looks more financial than travel promotional. if this more reference then it works well enough, feels like a lot of info still, but sometimes that's unavoidable. Color images might help
        Design is not decoration.

Comment

What size is that magazine? It's around 8.5x11 or A4, that text is going to be awful small.

I agree that the color scheme is cold and bland. Doesn't make me want to travel.
          http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

By the second image it's clearly a full colour project. So why B/W photos?

They also look like straight converts to B/W and no additional contrast to make them more striking?

It does have a very financially/stock markety - travel should be more fun!

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by PiotrGalactus View Post
              The magazine is about tourism and travelling, they wanted a clean design, since they will work with a lot of information, and pictures.
              The layout is very sterile, more "financial/government institution", than "travel". There is NO AIR, please add some breathing room to your layout. The 0.25" margins, the skinny gutters, the abundance of tightly set content make it look even more crowded. It is not inviting to read.

I agree with the other about the color scheme. Why cyan and grey? Why not color? You are using color so why not use it for more than title bars and boxes. For travel, it is pretty much a given that all or at least the majority of images used be in color.

It aims for a mature audience with a medium to high economic level.
              Please tell us in what way/how your layout appeals to the target you have defined above?

How do you guys feel about the font, legibility, palette, graphic system, margins, and leading? Micro-typography critique is always welcomed.
              I agree with others on color and contrast mentioned, also about the crammed full tightness overall. It's very boxy. Why are some boxes beveled corners and some not? Why do some title bars span the column width and some don't?
              Overall your images are too small. The info graphics are too tiny to see. The travel shots are also the same tonality (low contrast) as the grey background boxes.

The layout is static and rather rigid, given your 12-col grid system (BTW, I see a 6-col grid here). Maybe you could add some dynamism by pushing the system to it's limits, or breaking the grid, or have more than one grid system in play, it's up to you.

Text is simulated.
              Is the amount of text realistic? It is very word heavy for a travel "magazine". Is the word count based on previous editions?
              Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Hard to tell if it's full color or 2/3 color depending on spreads. If you have that red, use it to brighten up the layout. White on red is easier to read than 40% cyan. The photos on page 2 are kind of underwhelming also.

I can't read the language, but why is Argentina's GDP relative to the world needed in a travel article?

Comment

First, thank you guys for taking time to reply.

What I've been ask to design, is just the layout. I've only have to give them the grid system and styles for indesign.

Of course I'm trying to make it as realistic as possible, that's why I put some simulated text and photos. The photos are mine, not from the real magazine, since they haven't given them out yet.

I will try to work on the palette, margins and size of text. Also, will try using bigger and colour photos, and give it a little more air to the whole system.

"Why are some boxes beveled corners and some not? Why do some title bars span the column width and some don't?"
                  Those are two different sketches so far, that's why I was trying with different bar sizes. I agree with the belveled corners, and will work on it.

Comment

Agree with the comments aboce - the design and layout is sound but a bit dull for a travel mag. More colour and energy needed....
                    Never trust someone, who, if left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesnt try it on..

Comment

The color palette and certain other sensibilities remind me of some traumatizing state exam I took in High school.

The justified text is just too formal.
                      A travel magazine is typically for a more relaxed reading--I would open the leading slightly and also open the tracking a bit.
                      There is an awful amount of text, so it'd be difficult without editing out some paragraphs.

Large photos--exciting colorful ones are the bread and butter of travel magazines.

People choose travel destinations for the fun, the adventure, the novelty.
                      You need to capture that spirit.
                      I've seen more fun in funeral planning literature.
                      Heresy is a victimless crime.

Comment

I would step away from the computer and go to the local bookstore and pick up as many travel magazines as possible. Look at them. Study them. Do any of them just cram the space page full the way this layout does?
                        http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by seamas View Post
                          Large photos--exciting colorful ones are the bread and butter of travel magazines.

People choose travel destinations for the fun, the adventure, the novelty.
                          You need to capture that spirit.
                          I've seen more fun in funeral planning literature.
                          As AAD for 2 different travel publications I cannot agree more. Pictures sell Places. Think of it this way, elements that take the least amount of time to process/read are higher on hierarchy.

note: that does not include credits
                          Design is not decoration.

Comment

Thanks again for the ideas, guys.

I tried:

_Fixing the margins.
                            _Fixing the leading and body.
                            _Giving the layout a little more air, even when they told me it's going to have a lot of text-information.
                            _Worked with colour pictures I took earlier this year, to give it another feel.
                            _Also tried breaking the harsh grid set up I was using.
                            _Working with an align-left text column.

I think it looks better. What do you think?
                            Thanks again.-

Comment

Why are you using cool corporate report colors? IMHO lose the blue and the boxyness of it.
                              This design is still sterile and busy, can you break up the rigid column spaces? Use different font sizes? That blue bar at the top of the column doesn't work for me.

step away from the computer and go to the local bookstore and pick up as many travel magazines as possible. Look at them. Study them. Do any of them just cram the space page full the way this layout does?
                              +1
                              Last edited by Rachel B; 04-27-2012, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X