Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logo feedback

Hi,
    Iīm designing a logo for a ship rudder. This is where Iīve got to...
    (Iīm trying to communicate movement, lightness, solid, sturdy, water, machinery etc.)
    Appreciate feedback :-)
    Attached Files

I like it. Simple, to the point. Little bit of playfullness in the upside down T.

Not sure if I really get the "Water" you're trying to communicate though.

Think this should be moved to the crit pit though.
    Less marketing douchebaggery, MORE TANKS!

Comment

why not have the arrows below swift continue out in the same direction above turn? right now my eye moves with the bottom arrows, flowing out, then suddenly stopping and going in reverse.

Comment

I like it. Do you need the break between the top horizontals of the "F" and the "T"? Also do you think the "arrow-water" symbols shout be a darker blue or blue green? I ask this because the B&W version looks much stronger.
        Last edited by sully1251; 04-26-2012, 06:11 PM.
        http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

I'd join the F and the T as sully suggests, and perhaps the two Ts as well.

blog/portfolio

Comment

Thank you, great to get some feedback, I can use it all - really appreciate it

Comment

I like it too. But the kerning needs a bit of polishing and I would get rid of the blue arrows.
              May the bridges I burn light the way.
              Portfolio

Comment

I am working on the kerning now... The blue arrows are the waves that a ship makes in the water. I am working on them all to go in the same direction. I donīt think getting rid of them completely will work though. Maybe you can give a reason for for your suggestion?

Comment

Hi Wish,

Can you post a picture of the Rudder itself? When dealing with a product like this, it's often good to try and incorporate the actual shape of the Rudder into the overall design.

Without having told us that it was for a Rudder, I don't think I'd have known that.

Comment

Logo feedback - rudder

Hi Sammie,
                    I started out using the rudder / elements of the rudder for inspiration, but I didnīt find the form very interesting....
                    This is what it looks like sideways. The light grey is my primitive ship drawing. I donīt know exactly how they are attached.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by WishIHadOne; 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM. Reason: Forgot attachment

Comment

You have a good thing here. Some of these comments are silly. I would suggest linking the F and T but not linking the two Ts. I think you need the break between the verticals of the Ts to illustrate the juxtaposition. A vertical link would look like a big cap "I" with slab serifs.

You might open the U and R of "TURN" and possibly touch the strut of the R and the N. Also, you might see what a "touch-overlap" of the S and W and the W and I looks like.

You definitely need the "arrows". They are your balancing act and make this thing sing. You might try try keeping the forward edge pointed, as is, and the inside edge slightly curved. This may retain the directional pull you need while offering more of a suggestion of water. Personally, I would make them ever so slightly larger and pull them together a hair. Also, I would suggest the color be a little darker, maybe an aqua marine. The B&W version proves this point.

As far as the rudder element goes—who knows maybe there is a possibility of an alternate design there. However, I don't think there is any sane reason that you need this element. As I believe you are well aware. this is a logo, not a product illustration.
                      Last edited by sully1251; 04-27-2012, 05:51 PM.
                      http://www.paulsullivanstudio.com

Comment

Thanks Sully, I agree with the fonts, the 2 Tīs did not work when joint.
                        The arrows have had many different blues, and I think a darker one may be needed to make it stronger. Thank you for your feedback :-)

Comment

Hi again,
                          Latest revision of the logo. Have not decided the final colors, but Iīm hoping the image is starting to work now...?
                          What do you guys think? :-)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice logo! Can i use it for myself? (joke)
                            I can't offer more advice other than to echo the others. Make the waves go the same direction and join the Ts - The waves work well so keep them! Good work!
                            Never trust someone, who, if left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesnt try it on..

Comment

Thank you Buzz!!
                              The waves go in the same direction now (look at to my previous one :-)
                              And when I joined the Tīs, it just looks like a looong "I"
                              Last edited by WishIHadOne; 05-01-2012, 10:53 AM.

Comment

home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | about us | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | events | forums | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions about | terms of use | privacy policy | Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                              Working...
                              X